What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu to Union

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
No big loss, but I can't believe how quickly that happened. I suppose that is what happens when you manage yourself.

500K a year !!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FMD they are desperate!

Timana prepares to be 'bored'

March 21, 2007
PARRAMATTA and Australia back Timana Tahu last night signed a four-year deal worth almost $2 million with the Australian Rugby Union just weeks after slamming the code as "boring".

Tahu walked away from a further one-season option at Parramatta to become the latest NRL defector, aligning himself from 2008 with New South Wales and the Wallabies.
Negotiations with the ARU lasted only four weeks, suggesting Tahu's decision and Olympic-class backflip - he said last month that he would never play rugby because he would want to touch the ball more than once a game - was motivated by money.
Sources at the Eels said last night that annual earnings of around $300,000 at Parramatta were being cranked up to around $500,000 a year with the the Australian and NSW rugby unions.
But Tahu, 26, whose career with Newcastle and Parramatta has included five Tests and 11 State of Origin appearances for New South Wales, claimed last night that his earlier sledge was a deliberate smokescreen to cover his true intentions.
"I've been thinking about playing rugby union for the past four years," Tahu, who has been earmarked as an outside centre by the Waratahs and the ARU, said.
"A few weeks ago, I was quoted as saying that I wouldn't switch ... this was a direct quote to stamp out any rumours regarding my interest in rugby.
"I wanted to make the decision on my own, along with family, and not influenced by outside forces.
"This is why I have negotiated to join the ARU without the fanfare."

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said: "I don't think you can be surprised, now, about good outside backs changing to rugby.

"They don't seem to see much action out there at the moment.

"I think the Super 14 competition so far this season has been absolutely boring and a shambles in terms of any open play.

"The number of stopages is absolutely at an all-time high, I would think.

"But the dollars are obviously very big for selected players."

NRL chief executive David Gallop reacted to the Tahu news by saying: "From time to time, guys are going to take that option.

"But we still believe rugby league is the ultimate testing ground for footballers, and we all get on with life."

ARU negotiator Pat Wilson described the signing as a "major coup" for the game, eight days after retaining Lote Tuqiri on a $5 million five-year deal.

Wallabies coach John Connolly also welcomed the recruitment of "a proven tryscorer who has played at the highest level in rugby league".

lockyno1

Post Whore
500K for f**king Tahu! Jeez they are desperate. Mind you they were going to pay Gasnier 800K, so who knows!

jimmyo

Juniors
Tahu is a big loss to Parra and league, but he'll free up some cash for '08. Sad to see him go before we saw the best of him, but he'll probably be back ala Matt Rogers.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You can't blame them.

Since 1908 we've been telling the ARU we have better players.

They are now starting to believe us.

Talk about slow learners.

roopy

Referee
I took years to teach him to hang onto the ball when he is tackled.
He isn't the brightest crayon in the box.
It will probably now take years to teach him to let go of it in tackles.

shiznit

Coach
yeah... credit should be given to tahu for getting on with it quickly and quietly.
at least he didnt hold his club to ransom.

but isnt it funny that even league fans can pick out what the ARU needs to do...
forwards!! they need forwards!!

how funny is this... of all these league players crossing over to rugby. only one of them actually ends up playing in the forwards. and that was brad thorn playing for the all blacks... the ARU really have no idea...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
shiznit said:
how funny is this... of all these league players crossing over to rugby. only one of them actually ends up playing in the forwards. and that was brad thorn playing for the all blacks... the ARU really have no idea...

:lol: :lol: So true....

Thomas

First Grade
Brutus said:
I reckon Tahu said those negative things about union just so the media would stay off his back. Apparently he doesn't have a manager.

Apparently this is true. He didn't want a media circus following him and his family around.

"A few weeks ago, I was quoted as saying that I wouldn't switch ... this was a direct quote to stamp out any rumours regarding my interest in rugby.
"I wanted to make the decision on my own, along with family, and not influenced by outside forces.
"This is why I have negotiated to join the ARU without the fanfare."

I applaud the way he went about it...but as has been said in this thread, league backs won't win games. The ARU needs forwards.

You could have a whole backline of Darren Lockyers in RU but you won't win any ball unless you have the forwards.

BAH!

Special K

Coach
I still remember last time he was off contract and was saying he wanted to be a centre and when was asked why he said something along the lines of "wingers dont make as much as centres"

All class

gaterooze

Bench
The guy's got a young family, you can't fault him for taking the bigger bucks. I mean, an extra $800,000+ over four years is hard to resist!

Brutus

Referee
Maybe Ricky Stuart's marqee player theory should be fast-tracked so rugby league has no restrictions if it really wants to retain or poach a player.

Raider_69

Post Whore
anyone wanting to go and play an inferior sport is welcome to imo
no need to pay overs for a bloke like Tahu... next season he goes to union and the following have a chance to step up and fill the void... Joel Moon, William Zillman, Dean Collis, Akuila Uate, Israel Folau, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Michael Jennings... the list goes on and on and on and on... if union could boost such talent they wouldnt need to pay 500k a year for a bloke like Tahu

Disco

Bench
Gerrard is off contract this year, is he not?????

i'd be mighty p*ssed if i was him and would be looking at all my options

Latest posts