What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Takairangi (not) signed

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be steering clear of the guys that have been at Manly for a few years.

BrotherJim05

Bench
You do realise that Brad Takairangi is predominantly a backrower who can also play centre don't you? He wound up in the centres for the Titans more through necessity than anything else. He was playing in the backrow at the Roosters, but due to the glut of players my club had in that position which is why they released him to the Titans.

If he is indeed predominantly a back rower then happy days. I swear 50% of our games the back rowers were playing in the centres anyway due to mid-game injuries...this is where he would come in handy i'm sure.

Mad Unit is correct that our backrow is our weakest position. I don't see any reason not to resign Bodene though. He doesn't have the impact of premier backrowers but he can f**king tackle like one.
Unless someone like Tariq Sims suddenly comes on the market we should seek to retain Bodene. Maybe he is asking for too much though

Radical Rat

Juniors
I reckon we should make a play for Arona from the Sharks. He showed what he could do this year when Gal, Tupou...actually pretty much the whole Sharks pack was injured.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I like takarangi, ever since I saw him come into first grade at the roosters he looked good. To me he is very similar to sitalieki akauloa, only probably three times as expensive. Tall rangy backrower with a good offload who at a pinch can also play in the backrow. I'm ok with the signing but not stoked with it.

Apparently Taylor didn't want him,so they never signed off on him,as he agreed to terms with the old crew.

He didnt really want to leave the Titans in the first place but they had salary cap constraints and couldnt match the offer the Tigers made. They've now decided to go back on the offer so he's clubless for 2015.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Apparently Taylor didn't want him,so they never signed off on him,as he agreed to terms with the old crew.

Thanks 851. I don't know how I feel about that decision. I have seen him play some good games and thought he'd go alright with us but Taylor obviously has his thoughts on who will be our centres/back rowers.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
We will get to the stage where no one will want to deal with us. We have had players reneg on deals and now the club is....

The situation sucks for Takairangi, but if it was a condition of his contract that the new coach would have to sign off on it, he would have known there was a risk that it may not proceed and you cannot blame the club for that. That said, they shouldn't have been in contract negotiations with players without a coach.

Radical Rat

Juniors
It's not like he's a dud signing. The guy is better than half the guys you have in the centres and 2nd row now.

Exactly, this club is a f*cken joke. Why would anyone want to sign with us? If I was a player agent I'd be advising my clients to stay well away from us. We are an unprofessional disgrace.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry.

I'd prefer it the coach decided who should be in the squad or not. Not the GM or CEO.

By allowing anyone other than Taylor sign players, we are immediately undermining the coach before he even starts.

besides, as good as Takairangi may be, he doesn't solve the big issues we have of defence issues in the back row.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
In principle I agree with you Madunit; so I can only guess Taylor is going to promote some of our younger players into the top grade because I haven't seen anyone who has played in the top grade so far who can fill this void....there is no one on the market (I can see) who Taylor can buy who is going to solve our problems. Maybe there are some young Roosters he has in mind.

I just think it looks bad the way WT seem to deal with contracts but on the other hand I suppose it shows Taylor is stamping his authority. Whatever team Takairangi does play for in 2015 you can bet he will want to prove a point against us....probably tear us a new one.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Sorry.

I'd prefer it the coach decided who should be in the squad or not. Not the GM or CEO.

By allowing anyone other than Taylor sign players, we are immediately undermining the coach before he even starts.

besides, as good as Takairangi may be, he doesn't solve the big issues we have of defence issues in the back row.

Of course, everyone agrees on that. The point is the way the club conducted itself by offering a player a contract before the coach is signed and then backing out when the coach doesn't agree. It was a ridiculous decision to sign players before signing a coach and most people here could see that. I'm stunned that the board couldn't.

It may well turn out to be the best decision but it's just a really poor look for the club.

First Potter and now this. The board is off to a pretty p!ssweak start in my view.

Latest posts