What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

mobels

Juniors
No way there's any truth in the rumour, 0% chance that we'll get rid of a prop in which we have a lack of depth of for a back-rower, let alone a cheap high quality prop in Cooper.

dungay dragon

Juniors
They might have got the Poms mixed up .....
Could have been talking about Tyrone McCarthy who hasnt fired a shot and is a permanent member of the Cutters ..

borat

Bench
The Knights don't want Cooper. They are trying to free cap space to sign Mitch Barnett from the Raiders. Confirmed in this mornings Newcastle Herald. This is all a negotiation to try and get the Dragons to cover as much of Sims's 2016 freight as possible.

Dragsters

First Grade
The Knights don't want Cooper. They are trying to free cap space to sign Mitch Barnett from the Raiders. Confirmed in this mornings Newcastle Herald. This is all a negotiation to try and get the Dragons to cover as much of Sims's 2016 freight as possible.

This makes sense and so does the potential of a Pom mix up by the journo with cooper & McCarthy.

Either way a cooper swap is ridiculous.

Dragons 09

Juniors
While it's true the Knights are a basket case I don't think it's right to put Tariq's performances down to that. Literally every other player in the forward pack has offered much, much more than him this year (and remember most of them are complete rookies) despite him being the highest paid player at the club.

If kids with much less experience can perform in that situation then there's no reason Tariq shouldn't. Complete cop out IMO.

A cop out or not, it is what it is. Apart from his last 6 games being his only 6 games since the 2015 season (probably only just finding his match fitness), some players react differently to different circumstances. If you want to make a more valid comparison rather than his performances this year, compare his and Beau Scott's (Was still playing Origin and Newy fans thought he was the bomb) stats from last year and you'll find that other than off loads, Sims had Beauy's measure in every other stat. He wouldn't be the first player who needed a change in environment to recapture the potential they had shown in prior seasons and in my opinion (stress my opinion) he is one of those players.

Not sure if you're a Nights or Dragons fan but when a star signing doesn't live up to expectations, there is always a bit of butt hurt when that player moves to new pastures, which i guess is understandable.

borat

Bench
The Knights are collecting the spoon this year no matter what. They have 30 days to free up some cap space in 2016 and salvage what they can out of the year to make a signing or front load contracts.

We don't need Sims this year. He would be a nice addition but not going to change our fortunes dramatically. Let the Knights make the tough calls on this.

Noname36

First Grade
A cop out or not, it is what it is. Apart from his last 6 games being his only 6 games since the 2015 season (probably only just finding his match fitness), some players react differently to different circumstances. If you want to make a more valid comparison rather than his performances this year, compare his and Beau Scott's (Was still playing Origin and Newy fans thought he was the bomb) stats from last year and you'll find that other than off loads, Sims had Beauy's measure in every other stat. He wouldn't be the first player who needed a change in environment to recapture the potential they had shown in prior seasons and in my opinion (stress my opinion) he is one of those players.

Not sure if you're a Nights or Dragons fan but when a star signing doesn't live up to expectations, there is always a bit of butt hurt when that player moves to new pastures, which i guess is understandable.

I don't think you're grasping my point here.

The fact that all of the Knights forwards (and most of them are very young and very inexperienced) have outperformed Tariq this year suggests that either the problems at the Knights are not effecting the playing group as much as we're led to believe or Tariq is much mentally weaker than a bunch of rookies or blokes not wanted by any other clubs. The match fitness thing is another cop out. He's playing with a bunch of kids that have only played a few games in their entire FG careers and a 50 year old Jeremy Smith and he's consistently getting outgunned by everyone.

Oh and the reason for the limited games every season? Consistent self-inflicted suspensions.

The comparison with Scott is also off base. Your stats don't highlight effort, leadership and desire. Scott was a leader at the Knights even when he didn't need to be because there were other experienced players there.

If Tariq showed even half of the effort and led by example like Scott did Knights fans would not want to see him go - especially when the squad is crying out for some forwards with experience.

Edit - And also for the record it's been well reported by other players that Tariq doesn't want to leave Newcastle. Shit hit the fan when he was told he wouldn't be getting his contract upgraded ($$$ wise) next year.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach

The fact that all of the Knights forwards (and most of them are very young and very inexperienced) have outperformed Tariq this year suggests that either the problems at the Knights are not effecting the playing group as much as we're led to believe or Tariq is much mentally weaker than a bunch of rookies or blokes not wanted by any other clubs. The match fitness thing is another cop out. He's playing with a bunch of kids that have only played a few games in their entire FG careers and a 50 year old Jeremy Smith and he's consistently getting outgunned by everyone.

Oh and the reason for the limited games every season? Consistent self-inflicted suspensions.

The comparison with Scott is also off base. Your stats don't highlight effort, leadership and desire. Scott was a leader at the Knights even when he didn't need to be because there were other experienced players there.

And also for the record it's been well reported by other players that Tariq doesn't want to leave Newcastle. Shit hit the fan when he was told he wouldn't be getting his contract upgraded ($$$ wise) next year.

Good post with solid detail.

Looking at the boring attacking style of footy Newcastle played the other night Sims must want to leave that for a more rugged, physical, knock em down style of football so happy to join us.

As I said previously, many here laud the ability of Browny, so in respect of letting Sims go and Mary signing him is Browny smarter or dumber than Mary?

Not sure we need Browny to slap us to work that out.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Brent read from the Australian reporting that you guys are possibly going to give us Mike Cooper in return for letting Tariq go early.

He did reply later that it was only a rumour, so he wasn't that confident it would occur.

Lethal25

Juniors
Good post with solid detail.

Looking at the boring attacking style of footy Newcastle played the other night Sims must want to leave that for a more rugged, physical, knock em down style of football so happy to join us.

As I said previously, many here laud the ability of Browny, so in respect of letting Sims go and Mary signing him is Browny smarter or dumber than Mary?

Not sure we need Browny to slap us to work that out.

I understood Mary was not involved with recruitment. Is this incorrect?

Dragons 09

Juniors

If Tariq showed even half of the effort and led by example like Scott did Knights fans would not want to see him go - especially when the squad is crying out for some forwards with experience.

Edit - And also for the record it's been well reported by other players that Tariq doesn't want to leave Newcastle. Shit hit the fan when he was told he wouldn't be getting his contract upgraded ($$$ wise) next year.

I am grasping your point, I totally get it, Knights signed a guy who has not delivered on their fans expectations (which you are obviously one of those fans). I understand your disappointment, take a look through the Dragons forum and look at how much disappointment is being expelled on here. Rein, Widdop, Benji, Lafai and a host of others cop constant criticism from within our supporter base and if any of these players were to leave us, there would be an outpouring of sentiment just like your view of Tariq from within our supporter base about these guys. I understand it, enough is enough sometimes.

Hell, if Mary were to leave us, there would be a similar sentiment from me about him, but just because he hasn't delivered what I expect from a Dragons coach, doesn't mean he couldn't go elsewhere and perhaps perform adequately for the money he received.....particularly if he got a gig at park football level:sarcasm:

It's sometimes difficult to communicate the appropriate tone of a discussion in the written form. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying I am looking at Tariq's signing from a different perspective. You say that he has only played 6 games because of self-inflicted suspension, I say he has only played 6 games since 2015 which means he is only just achieving full match fitness. You say Beauy's V Sims stats are irrelevant because he shows effort, leadership and desire, I say you can give me all the desire and effort you like but if you're doing the work it will show up in your stats......I could go on but I hope you understand a bit better where I am coming from. I’m not taking the piss out of you and I’m certainly not saying you are wrong, just saying I was somewhat surprised when we signed Tariq so rather than join the bandwagon of criticism, I had a close look at the possibilities and facts and in my opinion (and you can go back to my earlier post where I stressed, this is purely only my opinion) Tariq is a risk, yes, but I can see how he just may turn out to be a very smart purchase if all goes well.

Anyway, he's our problem now so clearly you should be happy based on your opinion of him. But if it still hurts just a little losing him, we would always be happy to give you Mary to sweeten the deal. :lol:

Last edited:

Tuddy

Juniors
"There is speculation that Dragons players Jake Marketo and Will Matthews appear to be headed north to Newcastle as part of what appears to be a trade off for Sims"

I can't post the link yet but it's on rippa.com

hazzbeen

Bench
"There is speculation that Dragons players Jake Marketo and Will Matthews appear to be headed north to Newcastle as part of what appears to be a trade off for Sims"

I can't post the link yet but it's on rippa.com

Dont like the idea of loosing Matthews is Sims that much better ....... ? the the signing of Sims is ok but to loose Mathews , not sure....

Dragsters

First Grade
Again I'm all for trying to get Simms early but really, 2 players for him seems like a massive imbalance, particularly including Matthews who I would be reticent to trade on his own due to his versatility.

Thoughts???

hazzbeen

Bench
Again I'm all for trying to get Simms early but really, 2 players for him seems like a massive imbalance, particularly including Matthews who I would be reticent to trade on his own due to his versatility.

Thoughts???

Same thoughts here mate ....

nrlnrl

First Grade
I saw it mentioned somewhere & the way I understood it was either Marketo or Matthews after the Dragons didn't want to lose Cooper. Not both Marketo & Matthews, but I could be wrong.

Old Timer

Coach
I understood Mary was not involved with recruitment. Is this incorrect?

If the coach is setting the style of play for the team then surely he has a wish list of who he needs to achieve it.

If Mary is not guiding recruitment, then he is an even worse coach than what we all think he is.

Old Timer

Coach

Thoughts???

If the reason for Sims signing is due to injured players and a reduced roster, how can a 2 for 1 swap to get him early even be a consideration.

We can't attack and now we can't count, even more embarrassing than GI's filed goal attempt when 2 behind.