What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Old Timer

Coach
Had to push myself to keep reading after the pure irony oozing out of your first sentence!

Plenty of people have provided adequate reasons thatthis is a decent signing. Noone has claimed he will turn us into a force, but a quality player at a reasonable price is a dumb thing to scoff at. Yes, we still need a 7, 9 and coach, but this signing shouldnt affect those in any way.

But you, kind sir, have ignored them all and continued to beat your reptitive drum with no recognition of any of these positives! If thats not Vas-like, I dont know what is!!!

Love to see the adequate reasons on current form and a clear definition of the so called positives?

He hasn't done anything of note for a year and a half or more other than being suspended.

If you don't think he is not going to turn us into a force, then save the money and buy someone who f**king well will turn us into serious contenders instead of signing all these "good value" players.

If he was performing now as well as he was 3 years ago then I would be a big supporter and in fact we should have signed him back then, but a lot of water under the bridge since that time.

You keep going for the Vas like quote but in fact your dismissiveness when someone doesn't agree with you is is actually very Vas like.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Love to see the adequate reasons on current form and a clear definition of the so called positives?

Not getting involved in the rhetoric between you and Benny so this is not justifying either persons position, but Sims has played 6 games this season and has played all 80 mins of every game. For me, that's a huge plus and something we don't get out of anyone in our current pack. If you have someone who can go the full 80 with the current interchange rules, it gives you greater flexibility with your bench and the impact of your bench takes on a new dimension if used right.

Anyway, just saying, I don't mind this aquisition as there are some strategic benefits to his signing if you look beyond his performances with the Knights. Unfortunately for the Knights, they have been a basket case for a while now and it must be difficult for the players to be at the top of their game with all the goings on. Sims is certainly not the only big name Knights player who has under performed in the last couple of years.

I like reading your contributions on here but this is one time i hope you are wrong:lol:

Noname36

First Grade
Not getting involved in the rhetoric between you and Benny so this is not justifying either persons position, but Sims has played 6 games this season and has played all 80 mins of every game. For me, that's a huge plus and something we don't get out of anyone in our current pack. If you have someone who can go the full 80 with the current interchange rules, it gives you greater flexibility with your bench and the impact of your bench takes on a new dimension if used right.

Anyway, just saying, I don't mind this aquisition as there are some strategic benefits to his signing if you look beyond his performances with the Knights. Unfortunately for the Knights, they have been a basket case for a while now and it must be difficult for the players to be at the top of their game with all the goings on. Sims is certainly not the only big name Knights player who has under performed in the last couple of years.

I like reading your contributions on here but this is one time i hope you are wrong:lol:

While it's true the Knights are a basket case I don't think it's right to put Tariq's performances down to that. Literally every other player in the forward pack has offered much, much more than him this year (and remember most of them are complete rookies) despite him being the highest paid player at the club.

If kids with much less experience can perform in that situation then there's no reason Tariq shouldn't. Complete cop out IMO.

While it's true the Knights are a basket case I don't think it's right to put Tariq's performances down to that. Literally every other player in the forward pack has offered much, much more than him this year (and remember most of them are complete rookies) despite him being the highest paid player at the club.

If kids with much less experience can perform in that situation then there's no reason Tariq shouldn't. Complete cop out IMO.

Exactly. But just let the dragons fans treat this signing like they have just signed a package deal for smith and cronk.

BennyV

Referee

He hasn't done anything of note for a year and a half or more other than being suspended.

If you don't think he is not going to turn us into a force, then save the money and buy someone who f**king well will turn us into serious contenders instead of signing all these "good value" players.

If he was performing now as well as he was 3 years ago then I would be a big supporter and in fact we should have signed him back then, but a lot of water under the bridge since that time.

You keep going for the Vas like quote but in fact your dismissiveness when someone doesn't agree with you is is actually very Vas like.

No forward for $400k a year (considering that's what we are paying for THompson) is going to turn us into a force - hell, no forward anywhere is going to change our fortunes! Put SBW or Burgess in this team, won't make a difference. I'm all for complaining that we aren't signing a decent halfback or hooker, because that's what we actually need (as well as a coach). But you're carrying on like this signing is stopping us from doing that.

If you take it for what it is - a starting NRL quality forward with a shitload of upside if he can get anywhere near his best - and it's a solid acquisition.

Old Timer

Coach
No forward for $400k a year (considering that's what we are paying for THompson) is going to turn us into a force - hell, no forward anywhere is going to change our fortunes! Put SBW or Burgess in this team, won't make a difference. I'm all for complaining that we aren't signing a decent halfback or hooker, because that's what we actually need (as well as a coach). But you're carrying on like this signing is stopping us from doing that.

If you take it for what it is - a starting NRL quality forward with a shitload of upside if he can get anywhere near his best - and it's a solid acquisition.

Benny V

As you know I am squarely of the belief we have a fairly ordinary roster.

In respect of our forwards I posted very early on it could go one of 2 ways, a lot of upside if Packer and others lived up to potential and provided mongrel or pretty much more of the same.

A lot thought Packer would give us that but TBPH he is trying his guts out but, looks good as part of our roster but is well short of being devastating.

I am of the belief our forwards have not improved and it is more of the same. For the want of a term no alpha forward banging big holes in the opposition.

I am also of the belief that a quality big unit could in fact lift our forwards and get that much needed bit extra out of Thommo, Frizz and potentially JDB.

I cannot see that Sims adds anything to the roster other than a player that will be similar to what we have and be part of the forward rotation. His current figures on NRL stats on a per minutes played basis are technically slightly inferior to the much maligned Marketo.

So obviously I would rather keep going with what we have, save our pennies and invest it in a top line big power forward and a top quality half.

For the want of repetition, lots here thought Mc Carthy was a very astute signing, some even lauding him as potential captain, well then let's find out. Lot's think Host has a great future of which I agree then lets find out.

IMO we should exhaust every option out of what we have from the current players at the club and if the Cutters slide down the ladder as a result of that then so be it.

We make more "if he lives up to potential" or "if he recaptures his from from 2 years ago" purchases than any other club.

For the sake of our long suffering fans lets buy a couple of jewels and start putting them in a crown.

Frederick

Staff member
Brent read from the Australian reporting that you guys are possibly going to give us Mike Cooper in return for letting Tariq go early.

BennyV

Referee
[/B]

Benny V

As you know I am squarely of the belief we have a fairly ordinary roster.

In respect of our forwards I posted very early on it could go one of 2 ways, a lot of upside if Packer and others lived up to potential and provided mongrel or pretty much more of the same.

A lot thought Packer would give us that but TBPH he is trying his guts out but, looks good as part of our roster but is well short of being devastating.

I am of the belief our forwards have not improved and it is more of the same. For the want of a term no alpha forward banging big holes in the opposition.

I am also of the belief that a quality big unit could in fact lift our forwards and get that much needed bit extra out of Thommo, Frizz and potentially JDB.

I cannot see that Sims adds anything to the roster other than a player that will be similar to what we have and be part of the forward rotation. His current figures on NRL stats on a per minutes played basis are technically slightly inferior to the much maligned Marketo.

So obviously I would rather keep going with what we have, save our pennies and invest it in a top line big power forward and a top quality half.

For the want of repetition, lots here thought Mc Carthy was a very astute signing, some even lauding him as potential captain, well then let's find out. Lot's think Host has a great future of which I agree then lets find out.

IMO we should exhaust every option out of what we have from the current players at the club and if the Cutters slide down the ladder as a result of that then so be it.

We make more "if he lives up to potential" or "if he recaptures his from from 2 years ago" purchases than any other club.

For the sake of our long suffering fans lets buy a couple of jewels and start putting them in a crown.

The 'if he gets to his best' is simply an added bonus, because at his best he is a very destructive player. As I said, at worst Sims is an upgrade on most of our starting forwards, except maybe Friz, Packer and Ah Mau.

As for the 'saving for a power forward'...no. Just no. No forward is going to dramatically improve us, because Mary uses our backs to take hit ups in our half and has forwards running 1 out in the opposition half, often with halted momentum due to iffy and inconsistent service from dummy half. You can give Burgess, JWH, Kasiano or whoever that roll and the difference would be minor, certainly not enough to improve our team under the current structure.

As I said, Sims fills a roll. That roll may be keeping the momentum going when Packer and Ah Mau come off. Or it may be to just hit whoever necessary in defence. Point is, we know he can do these things at a first grade standard (at worst), and at best he can do them a level above. And at $400k, thats perfectly ok. Better than putting all our hopes on Host or McCarthy (who was never going to be any more than a fringe player) and having nothing to fall back on.

He may not have been priority 1-3, but that doesnt mean hes not a handy signing.

Mr Red

First Grade
I'm delighted with the signing
Will replace Benny Creagh a club legend IMO

agree.
however if there is an opportunity to get Sims before June 30 with a player swap i would be pursuing this option as a priority.
I would be having a conversation with Marketo and sounding out any interest in him getting more game time at the knights..he would be a walk up start to their 17 each week, if not a starting position there..

Dragsters

First Grade
Brent read from the Australian reporting that you guys are possibly going to give us Mike Cooper in return for letting Tariq go early.

I was all for the Simms signing and keen for him to come ASAP but If there is any truth to this then I for one do not support it.

We have put a lot of work into Cooper and are now seeing the benefits.

Net neutral move at best and that's if Simms lifts his game.

Puzzling development.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade

hope not.
Cooper is a good player to have. Problem is that Mary has stuffed him up recently by playing him lock forward and long minutes... thats not Cooper's game.
Drop him back to the bench as part of the prop rotation and with lower minutes and he is very effective in this role...

BrissyRedV

Bench
Yeah, nah f**k that noise. I'd keep Coops 7 days a week.

Frankly, not that I would put it past our management to allow this to happen, but we hold the chips in this one. Knights have a player that does not want to be there and could gain some valuable salary cap breathing room by releasing him. A player trade will not happen. They won't trade in Marketo as he is simply a fringe first grader at best. We won't swap Cooper because that would be a downgrade for us and I am sure he is part of our future. Newcastle should simply write off their season, take the salary cap relief, and prepare for the future. If they do not want/see the adbantage gained by that, we just bide our time till 2017. We gain nothing from a Cooper trade which I am sure has just been made up by some knights fan as wishful thinking.

Datramp

Juniors
Cooper is much better value for $ than Tariq. Hope this is not true. Would swap Marketo or Matthews (though the latter is a handy utility) but not Cooper who has been consistently one of our best performers. Shame about injuries. Having a forward roster of:

Packer
Ah Mau
Rein
Frizz
Thommo
Sims
Cooper
Creagh
Masoe
JDB
Matthews
Havili

Would have been solid. If we had managed to Snag Segearo as well before June 30 it would have been one of the best packs in the comp.

Dragonscales

Juniors
We won't be letting Cooper go when we have a massive shortage in Props.

Won't Happen.

We're looking to off-load a backrower.

TruSaint

Referee
Cooper is up there with our most consistent forwards.

Rarely has a poor game.

Must keep imo.