What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAS league is back

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Don't know if this has been discussed, but here is the official notice:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/09/10/96375_sport-news.html

September 10, 2009 09:22am
A NEW senior rugby league competition will begin in Hobart this summer.
The competition will feature four teams and will play at Rugby Park, Cornelian Bay, on Sunday afternoons.
There will be a pre-season gala day on November 1, followed by a 12-week season, ending with two weeks of finals.
The grand final will be held on February 21.

mono_mal

Juniors
Congratulations to whomever involved.
12 weeks for a 4 team comp appears to be long though good luck all the same. I'd also encouarage those involved to involve juniors/women competitions, even if it is only 'leaguetag'.
Have the ARL been involved??

elbusto

Coach
Congratulations to whomever involved.
12 weeks for a 4 team comp appears to be long though good luck all the same. I'd also encouarage those involved to involve juniors/women competitions, even if it is only 'leaguetag'.
Have the ARL been involved??
The ARL are running the show along with a DJ from HOFM called Jason Wolfgram who is a QLDer.

elbusto

Coach
The four Team in the Tasmanian Rugby League are:

Hobart City Quins
Northern Suburbs Broncos
Eastern Thunder
Southern Rabbitohs

All Teams appear to have strong numbers with the season 6 weeks away.

elbusto

Coach
Further news - all 4 Teams are reporting playing numbers of over 30 and Trials will be held on the weekend of the 17th of October at Rugby Park which will also include a fundraiser for the Tsunami victims in Samoa.

We have momentum.

ali

Bench
Good stuff. Always thought the English development model of playing throughout the summer in the off season could work well in Tassie. There are now up to 100 clubs in development areas playing throughout the UK, many of which now run strong junior sections. This could be the start of something very big for Tassie!

elbusto

Coach
Good stuff. Always thought the English development model of playing throughout the summer in the off season could work well in Tassie. There are now up to 100 clubs in development areas playing throughout the UK, many of which now run strong junior sections. This could be the start of something very big for Tassie!
I agree but we have to learn from the lessons of the past - make it a Southern Comp that works (not Statewide - it is killing local Rugby) and let the North start its own competition.

We have to make every step a winner.

elbusto

Coach
Perhaps someone more in the know than I am should update this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Rugby_League#2009

I know the media frequently use wikipedia as a source of information and this is great news that should be there.
Good advice - I have edited the site:

'4 Teams have been formed in Southern Tasmania. These are:
Hobart City Quins; Northern Suburbs Broncos; Eastern Thunder; and Southern Rabbitohs
The new competition commences in November and will run for 12 weeks with finals to be played over two weeks in February 2010.'

elbusto

Coach
This is good news for the future of the game.
Thank god that it's being run by the ARL.
Thats right mate - we have a local DJ working closely with the ARL keeping this on track so we can avoid the problems of the past. We have good publicity, good organisation and good numbers. Small steps but positive ones.

AntarcticDragon

Juniors
I was involved in the TRL when I was living in Hobart (lived there from Feb 96 to Aug 98) and was either on the scoreboard (which could always be fun .. especially in high scoring games) or as a linesman ..

Good luck to all involved .. Go the TRL ..

elbusto

Coach
Trial matches tomorrow (1 November) under the direction of the ARL.

Next week the season kicks off

2 PM - Hobart City Quins v Southern Rabbitohs
3.30 - Eastern Thunder v Northern Broncos

Both games at Rugby Park Hobart:shock: