What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

Yeah, good ole firehawks. Authentic as Perth pirates, reds, whatever..

Peter V’landys didn't confirm. Unnamed sources said it hasn't happen yet. Just like all those unnamed businessmen wanting to invest in Perth team
We won't get any more compensation between now and 2027 for the broadcast rights. What V'landys signed is what we'll get.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ive never stated east tigers were a plastic club, but what they were trying to do was
It’s the same club run by the same people with the same established pathways, the same pokie den funding, the same history and based at the same hq. Literally the only difference is in nrl name because they had no option to keep their own name.

the whole notion of a “plastic” club is bs anyway only thought of that way by dinosaurs and small minded people. Every club has a beginning and takes time to become established. That doesn’t make it plastic, it just makes it new!

Dark Corner

Juniors
What the competition needs now more than ever is another NSW side (of course). It just desperately needs it.
I meant just wish a Sydney team just move out to CC for good...nice area, nice stadium in a coastal setting and better location then Bulldogs and Wests I bet.

MugaB

Coach
It’s the same club run by the same people with the same established pathways, the same pokie den funding, the same history and based at the same hq. Literally the only difference is in nrl name because they had no option to keep their own name.

the whole notion of a “plastic” club is bs anyway only thought of that way by dinosaurs and small minded people. Every club has a beginning and takes time to become established. That doesn’t make it plastic, it just makes it new!
That's what i was getting at with the word "plastic", but as for easts brisbane tigers, ditching their name, yes they are run as the same entity, but the new branding had nothing to do with their history... instead of tweaking their existing colors and mascot, they ditched it for a fire bird,
ffs keep something

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The money isn't the problem in of it's self, it's the greed of individuals and groups within the sport that is.

An independent commission would go a long way to fixing most of these problems, unfortunately the ARLC isn't truly independent and never has been.
I think it is part of the problem. The market for RL is not one in reality that can sustain the ridiculous media payments

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I can understand the players wanting to be compensated for the harm they put themselves through. The staff who work behind the scenes at the football clubs are the biggest parasites bleeding the game dry. The smaller clubs pay about $4.8M on staff.

What are they doing to warrant that much money?

I'm basing this on the information available from p27 of the Gemba Report.

That's just the amount spent by the smaller clubs. The bigger ones would be spending another $10-12M.

I have no issue with sportspeoples :) getting what ever salary/payments the market can justify. But just because they are elite athletes doesn't mean they should be getting paid $1mill, there are not enough people watching RL to keep that going without creating a false market, which they have done.

Pneuma

First Grade
I can understand the players wanting to be compensated for the harm they put themselves through. The staff who work behind the scenes at the football clubs are the biggest parasites bleeding the game dry. The smaller clubs pay about $4.8M on staff.

What are they doing to warrant that much money?

I'm basing this on the information available from p27 of the Gemba Report.

That's just the amount spent by the smaller clubs. The bigger ones would be spending another $10-12M.
Sorry which report was that?

Pneuma

First Grade
nice backflip, you specifically said, and I quote; “if NRL has yet been compensated for afl deal“ nothing about a renegotiated contract due to new content or additional offerings. Both Vlandys and fox have very clearly stated there wil be no compensation because we negotiated a much shtter deal than afl did!

Vlandys is just spinning sht as he’s backed in a corner by how sht our deal is compared to afls. Only way deal changes is if we bring in a ninth team and extend yet again without going to tender. That would be even more of a disaster than just taking our medicine and getting new leadership before the next deal is negotiated.
Let me get this straight. Are you a fan of V’landys or not?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I agree we need Adelaide before Brisbane 3, but the latter should be on the list of teams to add at some stage. Ipswich would provide a good geographic spread for four clubs in in SEQ, but they don't have the population or resources to compete with Easts Tigers. I think we're at least 10 or 15 years away from a third Brisbane team being a realistic option, although it could be on the cards if things don't go to plan elsewhere.

For now I'm interested in the three SEQ teams getting their act together and growinf into large brands that suck the life out of the Lions, Reds and Roar.
Completely agree about Ipswich and their lack of resources v the Tigers, I would like to see the South-West represented though, even if it was by the Tigers or a merger like the Jets/Tigers briefly proposed. Covering all corners of SEQ will, like you suggest suck the life out of AFL and RU. Sure, they will still exist but they will have a niche market and neither code will have a realistic opportunity to put a second side in Brisbane.

Completely agree about Ipswich and their lack of resources v the Tigers, I would like to see the South-West represented though, even if it was by the Tigers or a merger like the Jets/Tigers briefly proposed. Covering all corners of SEQ will, like you suggest suck the life out of AFL and RU. Sure, they will still exist but they will have a niche market and neither code will have a realistic opportunity to put a second side in Brisbane.
If the Firehawks get into the NRL then the Jets should buy a share of the Broncos. That way all regions are covered.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think it is part of the problem. The market for RL is not one in reality that can sustain the ridiculous media payments
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that too much money is an inherently corrupting influence on RL because of it's working class history, or something similar? That's very silly if so.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Options for #18, #19, #20

Perth
NZ2
Brisbane 3
Adelaide
PNG

Perth
- new TV timeslot
- new big city market
- room for growth
- not a lot of readily available NRL talent
- reasonable appetite for the game despite being a non-heartland area
- events and most NRL matches taken there have been well attended

NZ2
- talent (will need NZ pathways properly built but this could help)
- NZ TV money (may not increase immediately but could help maintain the current levels and grow into the future)
- benefits the international game
- not a huge market in NZ that isn't already catered to

Brisbane 3
- fortifies the RL heartland of SEQ
- reward for QLD's contribution to the game
- more QLD derbies
- most likely will be well attended with good membership numbers and TV ratings
- most likely will do well with corporate sponsors
- ready made and operating football club options ready to go that have money
- on the edge of saturation in the SEQ market
- will suffer from diminishing returns in the SEQ market following the Broncos and then Dolphins

Adelaide
- new big city market
- room for growth
- doesn't seem to be a huge appetite for an NRL team at the moment
- lack of engagement with the game currently could mean that a relocation could work without alienating locals (could be a good way to 'bring back the bears' if we are ever going to do it, provided the team play in Adelaide 100% of the time)

PNG
- Probably one of the most talent rich areas that isn't fully tapped yet
- passionate supporters
- strong mining industry links for sponsorship
- Aus & PNG Government will behind the bid
- economical realities will mean the bid will struggle despite afore mentioned Govt & mining support
- will struggle to attract top-line talent (even the best PNG players will probably choose a club in Aus or NZ if given the chance)
- good for the international game
- All the possible benefits of a PNG NRL team are being delivered by the Hunters in the QLD Cup at a far more sustainable price tag

The three I'd go with are Perth, Adelaide and NZ2. Brisbane 3 is the elephant in the room as it is probably a better bid than the three I mentioned, however for the long-term growth of the game, the perception that a team in every major capital in Australia and a North Island and a South Island team in NZ gives when it comes to TV, sponsors, Governments etc is invaluable for the game.

It would be the most well spread code in the Pacific region (especially when you throw in Hunters, Silktails and Pacifique XIII in the state cups) and delivers what the AFL can't... a national spread with a huge impact in the very lucrative QLD and NSW markets (over 50% of the population. AFL have a presence there, but a company in Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne trying to make an impact in QLD or NSW through sponsorship would have to turn to the NRL as it's the only sport that can deliver it.

Now, should Brisbane 3 get a run in the future? Yes, if the above plan delivers the commercial benefits to the game that are expected, the finances will skyrocket and we can afford Brisbane 3 (which will bring further benefits).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Options for #18, #19, #20

Perth
NZ2
Brisbane 3
Adelaide
PNG

Perth
- new TV timeslot
- new big city market
- room for growth
- reasonable appetite for the game despite being a non-heartland area

NZ2
- talent (will need NZ pathways properly built but this could help)
- NZ TV money (may not increase immediately but could help maintain the current levels and grow into the future)
- benefits the international game
- not a huge market in NZ that isn't already catered to

Brisbane 3
- fortifies the RL heartland of SEQ
- reward for QLD's contribution to the game
- more QLD derbies
- most likely will be well attended with good membership numbers and TV ratings
- most likely will do well with corporate sponsors
- ready made and operating football club options ready to go that have money
- on the edge of saturation in the SEQ market
- will suffer from diminishing returns in the SEQ market following the Broncos and then Dolphins

Adelaide
- new big city market
- room for growth
- doesn't seem to be a huge appetite for an NRL team at the moment
- lack of engagement with the game currently could mean that a relocation could work without alienating locals (could be a good way to 'bring back the bears' if we are ever going to do it, provided the team play in Adelaide 100% of the time)

PNG
- Probably one of the most talent rich areas that isn't fully tapped yet
- passionate supporters
- strong mining industry links for sponsorship
- Aus & PNG Government will behind the bid
- economical realities will mean the bid will struggle despite afore mentioned Govt & mining support
- will struggle to attract top-line talent (even the best PNG players will probably choose a club in Aus or NZ if given the chance)
- good for the international game
- All the possible benefits of a PNG NRL team are being delivered by the Hunters in the QLD Cup at a far more sustainable price tag

The three I'd go with are Perth, Adelaide and NZ2. Brisbane 3 is the elephant in the room as it is probably a better bid than the three I mentioned, however for the long-term growth of the game, the perception that a team in every major capital in Australia and a North Island and a South Island team in NZ gives when it comes to TV, sponsors, Governments etc is invaluable for the game.

It would be the most well spread code in the Pacific region (especially when you throw in Hunters, Silktails and Pacifique XIII in the state cups) and delivers what the AFL can't... a national spread with a huge impact in the very lucrative QLD and NSW markets (over 50% of the population. AFL have a presence there, but a company in Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne trying to make an impact in QLD or NSW through sponsorship would have to turn to the NRL as it's the only sport that can deliver it.

Now, should Brisbane 3 get a run in the future? Yes, if the above plan delivers the commercial benefits to the game that are expected, the finances will skyrocket and we can afford Brisbane 3 (which will bring further benefits).
A fair summary. You missed WA govt support in the pros for perth.

I’d go perth, then start investing in the game in Adelaide. It’s probably ten years of investment away from any hope of an nrl club I’d say based on where perth was before 2010 and how the game had to be rebuilt post SL.

nz2 or brisbane 3 for team 20. Hard to see broncos letting firehawks (tigers) in but you never know we might have Independent leadership with balls by time we get to team 18 And can make a decision on What’s best for the game rather than what’s best for news ltd for a change!

we’re probably talking another ten years plus for teams 19&20 so plenty of time to build Adelaide and for dolphins to settle in.

aside from Potential player talent development I don’t see any real monetary value in nz2 Sadly and that’s what will drive nrls decisions.

Pippen94

First Grade

I’d go perth, then start investing in the game in Adelaide. It’s probably ten years of investment away from any hope of an nrl club I’d say based on where perth was before 2010 and how the game had to be rebuilt post SL.

nz2 or brisbane 3 for team 20. Hard to see broncos letting firehawks (tigers) in but you never know we might have Independent leadership with balls by time we get to team 18 And can make a decision on What’s best for the game rather than what’s best for news ltd for a change!

we’re probably talking another ten years plus for teams 19&20 so plenty of time to build Adelaide and for dolphins to settle in.

aside from Potential player talent development I don’t see any real monetary value in nz2 Sadly and that’s what will drive nrls decisions.

Ur forgetting the unnamed business backers in Perth

Pneuma

First Grade

Problem is Perth is an afl dominated isolated outpost with a tiny league playing population. I’d never put a team there. PNG first or NZ2.