What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually initially liked the idea of the Pasifika team also being NZ2, but if the Aus Govt is stumping up the money, they'd probably want the team based in Australia if it's not based on the islands I would imagine.

I don't think the Dolphins admission has left a glaring hole. It shows that Brisbane / SEQ is underdeveloped. If the Firehawks got in, we'd still have the northern corridor to cover, the Broncos can't do it all and it's in the game's best interest to continue to grow with SEQ.
not sure why, they are payimg for a pi/png club. If it’s based in cairns or wellington should be immaterial.

the gemba report showed the broncos already had major fanbase in the northern area. It’s hardly like it wasn’t being covered already to a large degree.

macca_saint

Juniors
The difference between GWS and an Adelaide NRL team is that for decades AFL fans in Sydney have been able to follow a local AFL club called the Sydney Swans based in Sydney. So GWS was going to struggle.

Adelaide NRL fans have had no such team to follow.
How many of them are there? 10-20k?
The NRL viewing numbers in Adelaide are absolutely dire.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This.

South Australia. 50k people max interested in League.
South East Queensland. 3.7 million people interested in League.
Difference is those 3.7million have an opportunity to follow nrl, those 50k south Australians don’t. We won’t grow more than those 3.7 million already RL fans, we’ve got great opportunity to turn that 50k south Australians into 250k.

macca_saint

Juniors
Difference is those 3.7million have an opportunity to follow nrl, those 50k south Australians don’t. We won’t grow more than those 3.7 million already RL fans, we’ve got great opportunity to turn that 50k south Australians into 250k.
No doubt. But at a sustainable financial cost?
I’m not so sure.

macca_saint

Juniors
You can’t build a customer base if you don’t sell your products in that area. 100 years ago there was no rl fans in queensland, good job we didnt have the same attitude then!
Yeah because the sporting and media landscape 100 years ago is comparable to now lol

Stormy weather

Juniors
South Australia. 1.7 million. No existing teams.

South East Queensland. 3.8 million. 3 existing teams.
And? South Australia if anything are more diehard about their Aussie Rules than Melbourne. There are 2,700 players in Adelaide. It’s not as simple as build it and they will come, look at GWS games, Gold Coast Suns or the Melbourne Rebels

Perth Red

Post Whore
No doubt. But at a sustainable financial cost?
I’m not so sure.
No me neither, hence why I think bears might be safest option for adelwide.
But I can see the benefits and opportunity of bringing nrl to a place of 1.7million that currently has no exposure to the great game

Perth Red

Post Whore
And? South Australia if anything are more diehard about their Aussie Rules than Melbourne. There are 2,700 players in Adelaide. It’s not as simple as build it and they will come, look at GWS games, Gold Coast Suns or the Melbourne Rebels
Dragons drew 8,500 on Sunday. Why are people going on about gws crowds???

docbrown

Coach
No it’s not as simple as build it and they will come. That’s a straw man argument that nobody has suggested.

It will take hard work. But people said similar things about the Storm too. However, I can guarantee you one thing. Without an NRL team, don’t expect them to ever make a personal connection with rugby league.

Billythekid

First Grade
I’d love an Adelaide side but it would be too much of a money pit like GWS and the Suns are.
Better to go with Perth, then QLD5 and NZ2/Pacific Bears.
Again people like to compare AFL without actually considering the differences. AFL clubs cost an order of magnitude more to run than an NRL like it’s not even close. Likewise AFL clubs need a lot more players.

On top of that the AFL spends shitloads on teams like GWS because they’re attempting to dethrone NRL as the dominant code in its home states. That’s not the goal of the NRL, merely to carve out our own little niche.

That plus unlike with GWS an Adelaide team is opening the code up to a new market which can potentially be beneficial from a TV deal standpoint (especially kayo and fox as any NRL fans in the state right now have far less reason to subscribe). The AFL already had a presence in Sydney and SEQLD.

The cost difference between GWS and Adelaide is enormous. I’m not saying I support Adelaide as such but stop acting like it’s the same as AFL expansion.

macca_saint

Juniors
Again people like to compare AFL without actually considering the differences. AFL clubs cost an order of magnitude more to run than an NRL like it’s not even close. Likewise AFL clubs need a lot more players.

On top of that the AFL spends shitloads on teams like GWS because they’re attempting to dethrone NRL as the dominant code in its home states. That’s not the goal of the NRL, merely to carve out our own little niche.

That plus unlike with GWS an Adelaide team is opening the code up to a new market which can potentially be beneficial from a TV deal standpoint (especially kayo and fox as any NRL fans in the state right now have far less reason to subscribe). The AFL already had a presence in Sydney and SEQLD.

The cost difference between GWS and Adelaide is enormous. I’m not saying I support Adelaide as such but stop acting like it’s the same as AFL expansion.
It may cost a lot less to run than an AFL team, but we also have a lot less disposable money to fund a side in a non heartland state than the AFL. Not to mention the lack of appetite for it of our Administration.

macca_saint

Juniors
“Why aren’t people in a city watching a sports league that doesn’t give a sh** about them?”

Hmmm…
Who is legitimately asking that question lol
I know why they aren’t watching, but just not sure it’s worth the financial investment to try to get them interested when compared to Perth and others.

Perth Red

Post Whore

This, if you look at the football club revenue gws is generating its comparable with nearly any nrl club. It just costs a lot more to run an afl club and afl is giving them a tonne of money to do the development work in enemy territory.

an nrl club needs to generate in region of $15-17million in football operations to be profitable. We dont have massive memberships and crowds so it’s not like the bar we are setting places like perth and Adelaide is too high.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
The AFL product is awful anyway, becoming increasingly an eyesore, and droves of long-time fans are getting bored of it and/or infuriated with its administration. Eventually, people in SA etc will start hungering for RL because it's by far a more exciting spectacle