What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

Stormy weather

Juniors
No it’s not as simple as build it and they will come. That’s a straw man argument that nobody has suggested.

It will take hard work. But people said similar things about the Storm too. However, I can guarantee you one thing. Without an NRL team, don’t expect them to ever make a personal connection with rugby league.
It was more State of Origin that got most people on board with the Storm.

When I started watching league I watched origin. Was hard to ever see the Storm on FTA TV was only after the AFL left 9 that I started watching Storm more

Pippen94

First Grade
The AFL product is awful anyway, becoming increasingly an eyesore, and droves of long-time fans are getting bored of it and/or infuriated with its administration. Eventually, people in SA etc will start hungering for RL because it's by far a more exciting spectacle

Afl ppl love afl

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL product is awful anyway, becoming increasingly an eyesore, and droves of long-time fans are getting bored of it and/or infuriated with its administration. Eventually, people in SA etc will start hungering for RL because it's by far a more exciting spectacle
That’s the thing and what i really don’t get about rl fans on here! We have an incredible product, it’s easy to watch, it’s entertaining and fast paced and has everything youd want to see in a sport. We need to have faith in our product that people never exposed to it will also fall in love with it. I se no reason that wouldn’t be the case. People in perth and Adelaide are not born with a genetic make up that makes them hate rugby league lol

Pippen94

First Grade
This, if you look at the football club revenue gws is generating its comparable with nearly any nrl club. It just costs a lot more to run an afl club and afl is giving them a tonne of money to do the development work in enemy territory.

an nrl club needs to generate in region of $15-17million in football operations to be profitable. We dont have massive memberships and crowds so it’s not like the bar we are setting places like perth and Adelaide is too high.

Afl is funding gws Greenspan

docbrown

Coach
Who is legitimately asking that question lol
I know why they aren’t watching, but just not sure it’s worth the financial investment to try to get them interested when compared to Perth and others.
Anyone who says things like “but Adelaide’s TV ratings are shit” or its equivalent. Which has been said a few times recently on this thread.

I’d also place a team in Perth first. But if Adelaide isn’t one of the 3 next expansion teams then we’ll never be a “national code”. We’re just putting it into a permanent too hard basket. That said if Perth is team 18, you’ll see at least one or two Adelaide bids for the 19th spot.

Pippen94

First Grade
Anyone who says things like “but Adelaide’s TV ratings are shit” or its equivalent. Which has been said a few times recently on this thread.

I’d also place a team in Perth first. But if Adelaide isn’t one of the 3 next expansion teams then we’ll never be a “national code”. We’re just putting it into a permanent too hard basket. That said if Perth is team 18, you’ll see at least one or two Adelaide bids for the 19th spot.

Lol, who cares about being national code. Making money is more important

macca_saint

Juniors

I said their ratings are shit, but I’m not asking why. I know why. Just saying that expansion to there probably isn’t worth it compared to other options.

Pippen94

First Grade
We’re limiting our future potential broadcast rights earnings by not having teams in two of the five main metros.

Lol. How many viewers in adelaide?! TV would want multiple Brisbane teams before them because they get bigger audience in bigger market

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Good point made above....if/when Perth gets in, the people and businesses of Adelaide will want to get in too. Perth is ready to go, Adelaide needs more time, but the Perth entry will be a driver for Adelaide.

It would be ideal to have both cities in. It is probably going to happen eventually.