What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

Stormy weather

Juniors
Afl 5 metro comp $900mill
nrl 3 metro and nz $600mill

hmmmmmm
Is that due to the location or the cut through.

It was what 81 that the Swans moved to Sydney.

According to Ausplay there are 125k registered Aussie Rules players in NSW and Qld.

While there are 9k league players in Vic, 2.5k in SA and 7.5k in WA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is that due to the location or the cut through.

It was what 81 that the Swans moved to Sydney.

According to Ausplay there are 125k registered Aussie Rules players in NSW and Qld.

While there are 9k league players in Vic, 2.5k in SA and 7.5k in WA.
Both, arguably you can’t have one without the other.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s the biggest issue who is going to fund it?

Storm got to 40k members in 24 years while being incredibly successful. Adelaide is 25% of the size, if you don’t have an owner willing to fund it where is the money going to come from?
With the grant what it is now it’s become much easier for clubs. The biggie is corporate support.
On a 14-15k crowd avg and 20k members a club is generating enough fan revenue to be viable. that should be achievable for any new club.
The challenge is bringing in the $10-12mill in sponsorship and corporate sales. If you can do that the club is making a profit with the grant being $17-18mill now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last time I saw their figures they spent more on memberships than they made
Wouldn’t surprise me, it’d be part of the subsiding they get the large grant for to help build a fanbase.

just looked
$600k membership expense ($300k merch expense)
$2.1mill membership and merch sales

Stormy weather

Juniors
With the grant what it is now it’s become much easier for clubs. The biggie is corporate support.
On a 14-15k crowd avg and 20k members a club is generating enough fan revenue to be viable. that should be achievable for any new club.
The challenge is bringing in the $10-12mill in sponsorship and corporate sales. If you can do that the club is making a profit with the grant being $17-18mill now.
20k crowds would be incredible impressive in Adelaide

Perth Red

Post Whore
But the cut through in Perth is arguably better than Melbourne. Well the participation is and Melbourne has had a team for 25 years.

I think there has to be more of an effort to grow the grassroots and not just have an NRL outpost
WA has always been the third biggest RL state in the country. Even more reason it’s ludicrous the Reds were cut and the game left to die here. Melbourne was always a harder sell for RL. The success of the storm on the field coupled with the investment by news ltd and then nrl in their early embryonic days has given us one of the biggest most profitable nrl clubs in the comp in one of the biggest markets. Perth won’t be that hard but could be as big.

Stormy weather

Juniors
WA has always been the third biggest RL state in the country. Even more reason it’s ludicrous the Reds were cut and the game left to die here. Melbourne was always a harder sell for RL. The success of the storm on the field coupled with the investment by news ltd and then nrl in their early embryonic days has given us one of the biggest most profitable nrl clubs in the comp in one of the biggest markets. Perth won’t be that hard but could be as big.
The Storm were lucky with how the cards felt.

I am pro expansion, I just don’t think going to Adelaide and Perth in the next 9 years is achievable. I would preference Perth over Adelaide

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Storm were lucky with how the cards felt.

I am pro expansion, I just don’t think going to Adelaide and Perth in the next 9 years is achievable. I would preference Perth over Adelaide
I think it may be if either a) the nrl commit to invest more than just the standard grant in Adelaide or b) the bears go there.

It’s very hard to know without knowing in there are investors willing to back an Adelaide club And we wont know that unless nrl puts the opportunity on the table.

if the nrl does seriously want to get to 20 clubs by 2033 then it’s got time to do some ground work before a decision has to be made on where club 20 is. Perth is ready to go as soon as nrl wants a club in.

Stormy weather

Juniors
There is no correlation between population size and avg nrl club attendance.
What makes you think that Adelaide will get comparable crowds to the Storm despite being so much smaller?

They have roughly a quarter of the population and a quarter of the registered players so where is the greater engagement going to come from?