What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Round 1 vs Dragons

billy2

Juniors
Probably no one put in more effort in the off season than Sau. He lost 7kg and was trying hard to play a completely different style.
The bad news is that his many attempts to set up his outside man in the trial just led to poor ball security and him turning over the ball.
He probably needs half a season in reserve grade to learn when and how to pass to set up his winger.

Wes is a more skilled player than Sau. He is better in the air, a better defender and has a decent pass on him. He is also quicker. Hardly suprising he got the nod ahead of Sau.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think Saus defence has let him down the most over the past 2 seasons. I have never seen a player so big and relatively short attempt to tackle so high and get pushed off so often.

rabble

Juniors
get the feeling that cuthbo was promised first dibs on a starting spot. don't think he has ever been a starter.

Rolla

Juniors
I think Sau's defence has let him down the most over the past 2 seasons. I have never seen a player so big and relatively short attempt to tackle so high and get pushed off so often.

I think his build brings about his biggest strengths as well as limitations. I agree he seems to tackle too high, but at the same time it seems a big part of defence in the centres is effectively securing the ball in the tackle one on one. This seems suited to a guy with long arms and upper body strength as opposed to Jnr's short arms and leg strength.

In attack his build gives him great leg drive and power, making him hard to put down or dominate in the tackle. His build however also limits his speed and mobility (sidestep/swurve/leap etc) as well as ability to free the arms and offload.

If Sau learns to pass and play smart (play to his strengths) he can still be quite an effective centre (as he has shown in glimpses). But the limitations will always be there.

Agreed Mac. He is brutal ball runner. Defence needs plenty of work. JW is right. His power should mean a better tackling technique. He could definitely hurt people with a good leg drive into the ribs with those oak tree pins of his.

Rolla

Juniors
Kinda my point bro

Sau needs to hit low and hard, stop his opposition in his tracks by using his power.

I agree.

But I do think it is risky for a centre to go low all the time because offloads are generally more costly there than most places on the park. I see why he goes high, but I don't think he should. Going low would mean his winger must be all over any offloads (something Jimmy would be comfortable with i'm sure)

Looking at that team again, it is the strongest knights line up (particularly 1-13) that I have seen in many many seasons. Thursday can't come fast enough!

timka4

Bench
Sau hasn't really been great (over past 2 years) so I'm not surprised he was dropped for Wes.
I've always been a fan of Tahu in the centres. Even when he came back to the Eels he pretty solid. Under Bennett and back at home at Newy, I think he'll have a good year.
It was always a battle between Wes and Sau imo.

Yep, T always had a spot. He is too good a player not to be a walk up start. I will dead set jizz myself if he scores a try on thursday under the posts and slam dunks it over the cross bar.

billy2

Juniors
According to the Newcastle sports section of the terrorgraph (not online) Laurie will not fly to Auckland for the first NSW cup match - they say he has a minor leg injury. Wouldn't have anything to do with him getting drunk last time he had to fly to NZ.

Latest posts