What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday Rd 10 v Roosters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you’re in business aren’t you?

would you persist doing, what didn’t work, last year and the year before? Like after 10 years are you still attempting the same thing that proved to be a failure for the previous 9?
There’s no guarantees of a premiership though. The best expectation in a given year is to give yourself a chance, which we did last year and the year before. We are also a chance this year. Therefore these years haven’t been failures. If we can stay as competitive as we are now the premiership will come. If we go back to 2008-2019 levels of performance (ignoring the outliers) the premiership could well take another 36 years.

Obvious sacking Arthur’s doesn’t mean we will go back to that level of competitiveness, because we are becoming fundamentally stronger as a club, but also this improvement of the field will make us more competitive on it, whether we replace the coach or not.

TheRam

Coach
Honestly Suity, I don’t remember any of your opinions on any given topic. I just know you’re part of the mob here. You’re the kind of person who would say Ciraldo is better than Arthur’s. There’s about half a dozen merkins here who put obvious thought into their opinions and understand there’s no simple answers. Then there’s a critical mass of posters who just put shit on them. I see you doing plenty of putting shit on merkins.

Or these half a dozen merkins are just more tolerant of failure.

Being tolerant of failure is a nice and a pleasant way to be and keeps you in a chilled frame of mind for sure.

But it dose not develop a hate of failure that drives a clubs culture to do whatever it takes to be the champion that we all aspire to be.

It is fine to be tolerant and in fact preferred in everyday society. But at a professional level intolerance and loathing of failure is the most desired trait. If our clubs management tolerate another season of BA at the helm if we don't get to the GF, then that tell us all that they think close enough is good enough for a coach that has been here for 9 seasons no matter what they say publically.

Loathing and utter resentment with measurable physical pain should the way our management view failure. To the point that they will not sit by for another season after 9 and watch the head coach continue on the same path just so he rounds off his decade and completes his contract, while realistically knowing that in this final year we have no real chance of winning it at all and it is just a treading water year until the next guy comes in. Waiting for his contract to be up, especially since he isn't a million dollar coach(isn't he on around $400-500K) tells us that they are not willing to make the hard decisions that a club like the Roosters would have done seasons ago.

Only fools think that it is simple to win a premiership, but waiting and knowing that you won't is just giving more time to your failure which is even more foolish and tolerant of failure no mater how our management spin it to us the public. We are not talking about a club that has had premiership success just a few seasons ago and is rebuilding and slowly getting its sh*t together to mount another assault for the title. This is a club that has been waiting for nearly 4 decades and a coach that hasn't delivered for almost a decade beyond week 2 of the finals. If he can't get us to the Grand Final THIS year then I and many, many thousands of others will be praying that the executive stewards of our club don't show the same tolerance that the half a dozen tolerant losers on this site would.

strider

Post Whore
you’re in business aren’t you?

would you persist doing, what didn’t work, last year and the year before? Like after 10 years are you still attempting the same thing that proved to be a failure for the previous 9?
doesn't it depend what the measure of success is? .... if your business is profitable and top 25% of those in your field then you are doing pretty well .... do you need to be absolute top 1% to be considered successful?

so we are saying for NRL the only successful measurement is playing in the last 2 weeks of the finals? ..... maybe it is .... I'm not saying either way

Bar the late 70s and early 80s, were Parra always in the semis/prelims? .... late 90s and early 2000s we were there abouts - but we never won a premiership, so everyone still thinks its failure

strider

Post Whore
Unfortunately it’s a performance based business. I’ve conceded he’s a decent coach. I’m just a little concerned his (lack of) tactics/game plan will leave us falling short each year.
I agree ..... I think BA is likely one of the better coaches in the NRL - but probably lacks something to go all the way .... thats not to say it's not possible under his coaching - in finals a bit of luck (and well spent money) and even f**kin bloody f**kin mcguire can f**kin win the f**kin thing

Gronk

Staff member
I agree ..... I think BA is likely one of the better coaches in the NRL - but probably lacks something to go all the way .... thats not to say it's not possible under his coaching - in finals a bit of luck (and well spent money) and even f**kin bloody f**kin mcguire can f**kin win the f**kin thing
Siebold was another who benefited of a great squad that made him look good. The Broncos were romanced with the Souths success, but it just shows that being the "next man up" media darling means f**k all. The conversion rate of "next man up" making it as a top coach is poor.

BA on the other hand has shown that he can drag a club kicking and screaming into the finals. Hence why I said last night that the next gun coach on the market will be BA if we move him on. Watch them scramble to sign him.

It's funny how our fans view the coaching situation, because other clubs and journos think that he's done a great job and we'd be mad to punt him.

84 Baby

Referee
Unfortunately it’s a performance based business.
Is it though? You still give dollars to the club despite having the longest active drought, so from a business perspective what failed performance is actually affecting the business? Memberships are up even.
Even down to just coaching as a separate business, it doesn’t appear to be that performance based either except maybe over the long term (which BA is in)

84 Baby

Referee
Siebold was another who benefited of a great squad that made him look good. The Broncos were romanced with the Souths success, but it just shows that being the "next man up" media darling means f**k all. The conversion rate of "next man up" making it as a top coach is poor.

BA on the other hand has shown that he can drag a club kicking and screaming into the finals. Hence why I said last night that the next gun coach on the market will be BA if we move him on. Watch them scramble to sign him.

It's funny how our fans view the coaching situation, because other clubs and journos think that he's done a great job and we'd be mad to punt him.
Oh great “next man up” appears to be Gronk’s new GOAT buzzword

hindy111

Post Whore
I think the board would be happy if we constantly made the top 8.
Good for members, crowds and sponsors.
If we ended up bottom 4 there jobs may be looked at as number in those areas decline. Currently its a win win for all.

Once we drop out of the top 8 BA will go. The board will make changes to save own arse....

hindy111

Post Whore
My guess is that 75% of fans think their side can win the comp of make finals. They'd be full of hope and belief and probably don't know enough about the game to understand they are just making up the numbers or are a shot.

So as a business perspective aslong as we are in the top 8 each year I dont think we will punt BA.

If we ended up bottom 4 there jobs may be looked at as number in those areas decline. Currently its a win win for all.

Once we drop out of the top 8 BA will go. The board will make changes to save own arse....
*avoid being analed

Yeah and i see that, and know a lot of people feel that way.

I'm just a bit "blah" on Flanagan. I think he's a good coach, but I have real issues with some stuff that has gone down in his tenure as a head coach that he cannot wash his hands of - peptides, salary cap, banning and ignoring the terms of his ban, etc.

I might be being too hard on him, but i guess i'm putting his character, or lack thereof (imo..) before his abilities as a coach

Yeh, I'm not saying that I have no problems with Flanno, but it wouldn't destroy my faith in humanity if they said 'he's done his time, he can clearly coach and he seems to have be able to articulate his plans, he's the next coach'. But we are long way from being at that place right now.

Gronk

Staff member

My guess is that you're trolling again.

84 Baby

Referee

I don’t think it’s purely a case of the board being happy about playing finals. I think the club looks broader. Obviously though if playing finals is positive for members/crowds/sponsors, it goes a long way.
Agree but if we fail to make finals again while BA is coach (outside another cap fiasco) then he’ll be gone.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or these half a dozen merkins are just more tolerant of failure.

Being tolerant of failure is a nice and a pleasant way to be and keeps you in a chilled frame of mind for sure.

But it dose not develop a hate of failure that drives a clubs culture to do whatever it takes to be the champion that we all aspire to be.

It is fine to be tolerant and in fact preferred in everyday society. But at a professional level intolerance and loathing of failure is the most desired trait. If our clubs management tolerate another season of BA at the helm if we don't get to the GF, then that tell us all that they think close enough is good enough for a coach that has been here for 9 seasons no matter what they say publically.

Loathing and utter resentment with measurable physical pain should the way our management view failure. To the point that they will not sit by for another season after 9 and watch the head coach continue on the same path just so he rounds off his decade and completes his contract, while realistically knowing that in this final year we have no real chance of winning it at all and it is just a treading water year until the next guy comes in. Waiting for his contract to be up, especially since he isn't a million dollar coach(isn't he on around $400-500K) tells us that they are not willing to make the hard decisions that a club like the Roosters would have done seasons ago.

Only fools think that it is simple to win a premiership, but waiting and knowing that you won't is just giving more time to your failure which is even more foolish and tolerant of failure no mater how our management spin it to us the public. We are not talking about a club that has had premiership success just a few seasons ago and is rebuilding and slowly getting its sh*t together to mount another assault for the title. This is a club that has been waiting for nearly 4 decades and a coach that hasn't delivered for almost a decade beyond week 2 of the finals. If he can't get us to the Grand Final THIS year then I and many, many thousands of others will be praying that the executive stewards of our club don't show the same tolerance that the half a dozen tolerant losers on this site would.
I think you’re missing the point. Premierships aren’t the measure of success, they are a potential byproduct of it. As a dopey fan you don’t see what constitutes success for a sporting organisation, other than the premierships that naturally occur over time.

Consider it from the perspective of a long term view (where data such as ‘premiership wins’ is more granular): how many grand final wins in ten years is considered success, in your opinion? And how many do you expect to win over the next decade, if we remain on our current trajectory?

84 Baby

Referee
I think you’re missing the point. Premierships aren’t the measure of success, they are a potential byproduct of it. As a dopey fan you don’t see what constitutes success for a sporting organisation, other than the premierships that naturally occur over time.

Consider it from the perspective of a long term view (where data such as ‘premiership wins’ is more granular): how many grand final wins in ten years is considered success, in your opinion? And how many do you expect to win over the next decade, if we remain on our current trajectory?
f**ken 10!