What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

team next week

Farva

Juniors
bluesbreaker said:
I think questioning Roopy's judgement when it comes to where our juniors should play is a bit beyond your analytical capabilities at this present moment.

Wow, what's the point in even raising any differing opinions then.

Obviously the great 'Roopy' is Mr Newcastle............

roopy

Referee
but to stick up for bluesbreaker - he was having a go at BIHK - which is always a fair thing - just wish my name could be left out of it.

Farva

Juniors
roopy said:
Hey - what did i do?

Nothing mate. Just a really arrogant comment from 'Bluesbreaker'.

Not a critcism of yourself at all.

I just think it's ridiculous to discredit someone else's opinion on the grounds that somebody else, apparently, has more knowledge on Rugby League.

roopy

Referee
Farva said:
Nothing mate. Just a really arrogant comment from 'Bluesbreaker'.

Not a critcism of yourself at all.

I just think it's ridiculous to discredit someone else's opinion on the grounds that somebody else, apparently, has more knowledge on Rugby League.
i probably shouldn't buy into this - but bluesbreaker was talking about the juniors and their abilities, which is my 'thing' - and not an area where BIHK has ever shown a huge interest - but he worded it badly - came over very abrupt did the young fella.

Pumba

First Grade
I must say Antonius & Roopes have been the "Junior Informants" if I may on these forums and the old Knights Forums for many years.

BG

Juniors
roopy said:
Let me put my case for Patto in the centres.

1/ we have forwards to burn but need a quality back or two.

2/ He came to our club as a fullback (although i don't think he has ever had a run there) and has all the skills and abilities of a back.

3/ He plays as a wide running second rower in attack, which is pretty much playing centre anyway.

4/ In the game last night he showed he can step round a centre, run with a winger, tackle players who have room to move and link up with an outside player (the Carmont try).

Last year in Flegg he switched to the centres a heap of times during games and did it well - and right at the end of the season he was playing PL and you couldn't keep the big guy out of the backline as he scored at a try a game - and most of them were backs trys. I even saw him score a few by putting in a grubber kick for himself.

He has all the skills of a back, he loves to play in the backs so much he runs with them even as a forward - and do we need a giant hardrunning centre? yes we do - do we need another second rower? - not really, it is our strongest position in all grades.

You make a good case, Roops, but you haven't really addressed the major issue that arises in considering a wide-running backrower as a genuine centre. Defence against a really fast, elusive opposite number. He would be sure to encounter some swerves and fancy footwork in the NRL beyond anything he would have had to deal with in his jaunts in the centres in Flegg.

Comments?

roopy

Referee
BG said:
You make a good case, Roops, but you haven't really addressed the major issue that arises in considering a wide-running backrower as a genuine centre. Defence against a really fast, elusive opposite number. He would be sure to encounter some swerves and fancy footwork in the NRL beyond anything he would have had to deal with in his jaunts in the centres in Flegg.

Comments?
Yes, and being a very big lad mobility in defence has to be the biggest worry - but he was a fullback remember, and this was a skill he had to have as a fullback. From what i can see he has the defence for the job - but maybe he would get very badly shown up someone like Jamie Lyon etc in firstgrade. Having said that, what team doesn't want a giant Mal Maninga style centre - it is definately worth a shot IMO.

Jono078

Referee
1. Kidley
2. McManus
3. Tighe
4. MacDougall
5. Uate
6. Abraham
7. Mullen
8. Tolar
9. Seu Seu
10. Woolnough
11. Simpson
12. Paterson
13. Bailey
--
14. White
15. Snowden
16. Thaiday
17. Newton

Id like to see that team go against the Raiders, not our best but would be the best game to get some youngsters into.

Quite alot of changes and probably wont happen.

antonius

Coach
I can only assume some are not including Tolar in their teams because they think he'll be suspended?? If not then surely he has to be in front of a few of our so called starters? and purely on what he's shown so far Patterson has to retain a spot somewhere, and I'll go along with Roops here, I think centre in first grade isn't beyond him, and we are looking a bit ordinary there ATM.

keeney

First Grade
But uh, what about Johns Jono?

1. Kidley
2. Mcmanus
3. Carmont
4. Doogs
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Perry
9. Seu Seu
10. Woolnough
11. Simpson
12. Newton
13. Abraham

14. Patterson
15. Tolar
16. Reynoldson
17. White
18. Polglase

A few of those players deserve to be on warning/in PL, but that teams a mix of optimism and realism. Hopefully we put a cricket score on the Raiders though, our F/A could use it. I think BS will want Polglase in there, but at the price of which forward?

Bicey_18

Bench
Canberra will be tough, have no doubts... having said that Melbourne were pretty ordinary last nite, we should get the cash but i am very worried bout this one.. need one of our better sides 2 get the cash

Jono078

Referee
keeney said:
But uh, what about Johns Jono?

1. Kidley
2. Mcmanus
3. Carmont
4. Doogs
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Perry
9. Seu Seu
10. Woolnough
11. Simpson
12. Newton
13. Abraham

14. Patterson
15. Tolar
16. Reynoldson
17. White
18. Polglase

A few of those players deserve to be on warning/in PL, but that teams a mix of optimism and realism. Hopefully we put a cricket score on the Raiders though, our F/A could use it. I think BS will want Polglase in there, but at the price of which forward?

They said on the Footy Show that Johns might miss the Raiders match since he isnt recovering that well.

If there is the smallest doubt I think Smith will rest him.

If he does play I think it will only be for about 50 minutes, get him some game time then he can go hard the next week against the Storm

BG

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:
Canberra will be tough, have no doubts... having said that Melbourne were pretty ordinary last nite, we should get the cash but i am very worried bout this one.. need one of our better sides 2 get the cash

Yes, a danger game for sure. It has the triple factor that often leads to upsets:

- Underdog at home.
- Underdog playing better than they've been given credit for.
- Favourite with one eye on a huge game the following week.

Yosh

Coach
Joey needs to play some game time before playing the strom. I would really like to see him play some part.

I personally dont think it matters who plays, we are going to win anyways:)

Super Sub

Juniors
I'll cater for the worst possible scenario (Johns still out and Tolar suspended, plus Bedsy of course, no other injuries that I'm aware of ) and put the team that I expect Smith to name.

Kurt Gidley
James Mcmanus
George Carmont
Brad Tighe
Adam Macdougall
Daniel Abraham
Jarrod Mullen
Josh Perry
Terrence Seuseu
Adam Woolnough
Steve Simpson
Clint Newton
Kirk Reynoldson

Todd Polglase
Cory Paterson
Matt White
Mitchell Sargent

I know that there are a lot of calls to move Doogs to Centre and for Tighe and to a lesser extent Carmont to be dropped to premmie, but I think he has looked really dangerous on the wing so far. He almost scored off that grubber on Friday and his kick returns have been really good. He also has the power to find the line when he doesn't have much space to work with. IMO we have pretty much named the best centre combo that we could (and yeah I know that people are going to want to argue about what I just said, but please read my explanation), Kidley could play great there too I agree but he has been superb at fullback so far so I wanna see him there. Not only that but if Kids was at centre it would really ruin his "rover" position, he isn't required to be in any specific attacking spot when at fullback, being at centre would basically eliminate the "rover" and he would have to stick to one side of the field and we wouldn't be able to utilise his high attacking prowess and speed out of dummy half.

I was at the game on Friday and Carmont got through a lot of dummy half work when we were getting out of our own half, also he made a lot of tackles for a centre, he made almost 20 I think from the stats. Don't forget he and Tigh both scored tries, Carmont's was soft but Tighe did have to break the line. In round 1 I thought Tighe had a pretty reasonable game, looked like getting away from the defence a few times. He made a good offload in round one to Polglase which ended with Mcmanus scoring. And he threw the final pass for Mcmanus to score against the dragons too, in the past he probably would have run it himself.

He hasn't been at full form by any means, but I think he has worked hard out of dummy half when coming out of our own half in both games and he scored that try with some quality ball from Abes. In round 1 the centres really didn't get much quality ball from Mullo/Kids at all.

My call is leave the centres for the moment and soon we will see them have some big games.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
At the moment im happy with any team Smith picks, he seems to know what's going on with the boys. Gotta keep Paterson and White in the side though they played unreal.

Only person I would drop is Carmont he keeps stuffing up all the time and doesn't give Mcdougall the amount of ball he needs to be effective.

Jono078

Referee
I actually think that Raiders could get us in this game, so we should probably put our best available team on the park, weve had 2 big games in a row now, surely we cant keep playing like that, were gonna tire soon, look at what happend to the Dogs.

Alex28

Coach
I don't get the calls to drop Carmont - have we been watching Tighe? He is average at best. I agree with the calls to drop Tighe and bring up Uate.

And to all those saying that Abes wouldn't be back - eat your words :)

Latest posts