What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

team next week

K-Man

Bench
Alex28 said:
Why would we want to drop Polglase for Thaiday? What has he done wrong in the last few weeks to warrant dropping? As a bench player he has played damn well - he offers alot more than a guy who can play 1, 2 or 5 at best.

I've always been a believer in trying to find your best possible 17. Statements like "what has he done wrong in the last few weeks to warrant dropping" I find quite frustrating because a player doesn't always "deserve" it, but if you have better options then they should be explored. Let's say every batsman in the aussie cricket team is averaging 50, but then Ricky Ponting comes back from an injury absence, do you leave him out because the others "don't deserve to be dropped". Of course not, because Ponting will probably average 70!

It's professional sport, it's about winning. Polglase has done ok, I admire his effort and versatility and guts, but in Thaiday you have an absolute matchwinner who needs to fit into the 17 somewhere. It's not a straight swap for Polglase really anyway, as I'm suggesting that Thaiday will be picked as a fullback, but coming off the bench, and Kidley will be the utility like Polglase was. The only difference is Kidley will be on the field for 80 minutes unlike Polglase.

I don't know what Smith will do, but I would do as I've already said - bring Thaiday on as fullback and send Kidley into the backrow after the initial softening up period (to allow for bigger forwards in the opening 20 minutes) and let him play a role of "everywhere man" - occassional scoots from dummy half, backing up the other forwards, plenty of tackling etc.

In the end it comes down to how you rate Thaiday. For some reason there are those who don't think he's that good.
I think he's one of our best 5 players and I also genuinely believe that every time an opposition coach sees him not named in first grade, he breathes a sighe of relief.

perverse

Referee
christopherjon said:
Some excellent points mate.

IMO Carmont and Polglase has been two of our best players in the past 2 weeks. Nothing they have done that warrants dropping. This is exactly what we want to see- battle for positions from PL players.

Tighe has been quiet if anything, but hasn't really done anything stupid. Was nice to see him score a try last week, perhaps he could improve his defence a little though. But he desereves another week or two to prove himself.
polglase i can agree with.. he's been excellent. but carmont??
when did we start picking players based on "not doing anything wrong"? i put this to you - what have they done right? carmont has done bugger all, certainly not creating any opportunities for his outside man - i.e his job. his defense is better than it has been in the past.. but still mediocre.. mainly due to his size.

carmont and tighe dead set have to go if they don't perform this week.

CJKnight

Juniors
perverse said:
polglase i can agree with.. he's been excellent. but carmont??
when did we start picking players based on "not doing anything wrong"? i put this to you - what have they done right? carmont has done bugger all, certainly not creating any opportunities for his outside man - i.e his job. his defense is better than it has been in the past.. but still mediocre.. mainly due to his size.

carmont and tighe dead set have to go if they don't perform this week.

Carmont is one of the best defenders out wide that we have. Part of the reason he is in the team IMO, is because he has refined his tackling technique. We all know Smith wants to tighten up the defence too.

Carmont still scores tries (last year he scored the same amount as Midley: 9). He would definately fit into the backline if I were picking it.

Tighe I agree with, I think he really has to do a whole lot more than score a try to keep his spot.

Could James McManus play in the centres?

From what i have seen of him, he's got a large frame, quick, good defender esp.
when it comes to reading the play and rushing in and making an effective tackle.

The only thing that may go against him is his ball skills but I'm
sure with a little lesion from Joey he would pick it up quick.

Serc

First Grade
You'll see Tighe and Carmont in the centres this week again I reckon, they aren't doing horribly but all the concerns raised are valid. I think Tighe should get 1 or even 2 more chances, and we will probably see Mad Dog in the centres sooner rather than later.

perverse

Referee
christopherjon said:
Carmont is one of the best defenders out wide that we have. Part of the reason he is in the team IMO, is because he has refined his tackling technique. We all know Smith wants to tighten up the defence too.

Carmont still scores tries (last year he scored the same amount as Midley: 9). He would definately fit into the backline if I were picking it.

Tighe I agree with, I think he really has to do a whole lot more than score a try to keep his spot.
it's fair enough that you're defending carmont, as i said he's improved his game a lot since he first hit first grade.. and there is nothing inherently wrong with his technique either.. it's his size that worries me. also the lack of service he gives to wingers is a little disturbing..

in all honesty i don't judge centres on how many tries they score - much like i don't pay that stat any attention when talking about halves or forwards. centres should create opportunities for their outside (and occasionally inside) men. if they score tries then thats great too.. but for me a good centre knows how to put his winger over for a try better than he knows how to put himself over. carmont has a total and complete lack of this ability.

Frederick

Staff member
Accoding to an NBN news update, Johns has been named at halfback, but his availability won't be known til later in the week

Latest posts