What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v. Brisbane

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Paulo played more of a forward role against manly and we won. Last week he went to middle half and we won. (Can't remember what he was doing in the souths game). And his role has changed in our losses too.BA needs to have 1 role for Joe Paulo. He either plays as a forward or a middle half. Changing the structure on a week to week basis does not help our halves, paulo or the team.

I hope you're not one of the merkins who criticises the coach for not adapting his gameplan to the conditions and opposition.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Noise's post was actually tongue in cheek....

But, the difference between Mannah's metreage and other games is 100% down to not taking kick off returns. People look at the total metres and don't look at their composition. Kickoff return metres aren't irrelevant, but adding them to genuine hit-ups (and in fact other runs from general play) doesn't tell you much about a forward's contribution to the team. It tells you how deep the opposition kick offs were.

I never just look at total metres. NRL Stats also breaks it down by the type of run (including hit ups).

As for Mannah, I see his strength to be his overall contribution to hard work. That includes his work rate and his defence, and would certainly be why he starts every single game.

I never just look at total metres. NRL Stats also breaks it down by the type of run (including hit ups).

As for Mannah, I see his strength to be his overall contribution to hard work. That includes his work rate and his defence, and would certainly be why he starts every single game.

Yeh, I didn't say that *you* fixated on Mannah's metreage. But it's a favourite comeback by some who are in love with the bloke.

I like him, and think that he adds to the balance of our pack (and he ensures that we at least get to use our long-standing player allowance). But he's a middle of the road NRL-level forward as far I reckon.

Pazza

First Grade
Mannah is hardly the issue.

We must have lost that many metres last night by poor positional play from our back three last night. Our forwards were consistently making ground into the Broncos half and our full back and wingers could hardly catch a ball on the full when the Broncos were kicking out of their own half.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If you add Hayne to the mix we don't afford a pack that is coping better. It is zero sum mate. You can't just add Hayne to a team with no other impacts. Otherwise of course they will be better. Any team would improve if you increased their salary cap by $1.5M

Sorry, for next year maybe, but who did we sign after Hayne left that impacts our cap by any real amount?

Watmough was already coming, Wicks I'm not too sure, but straight outta jail i don't imagine he cost us much this year and Fa'alogo won't be on on squillions either.

Which forward do you think we don't sign due to cap restrictions if we keep Hayne?

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
Mannah is hardly the issue.

We must have lost that many metres last night by poor positional play from our back three last night. Our forwards were consistently making ground into the Broncos half and our full back and wingers could hardly catch a ball on the full when the Broncos were kicking out of their own half.

We played with two at the back all night. That's why the Donkey's kept kicking down the middle and not to the corners.

Last edited:
Essentially, we did well enough to get ourselves into good positions. Despite the fact we got nothing from that first 20, I even think we did well there as The Chairman came extremely close to scoring on each of his three handles.

However, after that, we just executed poorly. We didn't have any structure or purpose. Forwards were great but nothing came off the back of it. Foran will change that next year but we're still stuck with it for 2015...

All in all, I'm not enraged over last night. We gifted them two stupid tries and failed to make the most of what we created.

Better discipline and a focus on structure and we can win games against the best teams.

hindy111

Post Whore
Seph and Terepo are building a nice combo.
You build your team how you want pou and I build mine how I want. My team has no Mannah when everyones fit.Yours does.

With KE-scott and Tepai in line for recall next year.Twal and Alioi rising Mannah will be sliding.

Mannah is IMO a powder puff and sure he is a hard worker.So is Gower who also runs harder and can pass.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sorry, for next year maybe, but who did we sign after Hayne left that impacts our cap by any real amount?

Watmough was already coming, Wicks I'm not too sure, but straight outta jail i don't imagine he cost us much this year and Fa'alogo won't be on on squillions either.

Which forward do you think we don't sign due to cap restrictions if we keep Hayne?

'Which one?' is a stupid question. The salary cap isn't a one for one algorithm, which is why it's measured in dollars and not players. The only time you could say player X specifically impacts player Y is in the fact that the salary cap covers no more or less than 25 players. So while Hayne's salary could potentially buy well over a dozen players on minimum wage, it doesn't work that way. His money is spread across the entirety of the squad, improving it overall.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mannah was as soft as butter last night, dominated nearly every time he took up the ball. Great effort from our forward leader.

hindy111

Post Whore
What you say HJ is perfect. Majestic .Sensational.

We played better-they played smarter. We gifted them 16 points and cost ourself 1 possible 12 with bad turn overs. and letting them out of in goals.

Hoppa looks so comfortable in centres.He made one bad call when should of drawn and passed but instead grubbered.Roboo looked lot better at fullback this week and ran for almost 200mtrs.

This team just needs discipline.And fine tuning. Than your Top 4 . As for points we nee to work on combo's
Grubber kick into goals with a forward chasing? Sandow and robo need to work on this. tim smith/luke burt style. Peats and Robo need to back up guys like Manu and gower more.
Seph and terepo are getting some nice combo's.Brisbane defended very well.

Yesterday side with a few tweaks - semi in for falou. Faraimo keeps his spot unless goodal starts firing hard.
Jnr comes in as well.For who? Current form - Mannah/watmough. Big call but that's my team.
tepai and Pauli should share the bench spot. A few weeks each to get there bodies ready.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
'Which one?' is a stupid question. The salary cap isn't a one for one algorithm, which is why it's measured in dollars and not players. The only time you could say player X specifically impacts player Y is in the fact that the salary cap covers no more or less than 25 players. So while Hayne's salary could potentially buy well over a dozen players on minimum wage, it doesn't work that way. His money is spread across the entirety of the squad, improving it overall.

ohhhhh, so thats how it works

when Hayne left everyone got their share of his money ?

makes sense

EelsFan05

Bench
The stats show how individual players are performing. As for team stats, they don't show we should have won easily at all. I see the Broncos scored one more try than we did, and four extra goals. That's a stat you can't argue against, however much you try.

By your summation in all the threads every player is doing well. So where are all the errors coming from? Every individual performance is an addition to the team performance. You can't have one without the other.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
ohhhhh, so thats how it works

when Hayne left everyone got their share of his money ?

makes sense

New signings certainly got his share of the money. Are you aware that teams need to spend a large percentage of the cap? It's impossible to go into a season a million bucks under the cap.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
By your summation in all the threads every player is doing well. So where are all the errors coming from? Every individual performance is an addition to the team performance. You can't have one without the other.

Some guys are doing well in some areas but poorly in others. As for last night, some players were very poor but why single them out? Most of the guys went well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
New signings certainly got his share of the money. Are you aware that teams need to spend a large percentage of the cap? It's impossible to go into a season a million bucks under the cap.

ohh, so now its the new signings ?

I thought you said everyone was supposed to get some

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
ohh, so now its the new signings ?

I thought you said everyone was supposed to get some

Everyone does get some - salaries are spread across the cap. When a player is removed from the cap that isn't his money that has to all go to one player.

When you go to the bank do you ask for your twenty bucks and tell them you know which one is yours because you initialled it? Actually I'm starting to think you probably do.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Essentially, we did well enough to get ourselves into good positions. Despite the fact we got nothing from that first 20, I even think we did well there as The Chairman came extremely close to scoring on each of his three handles.

However, after that, we just executed poorly. We didn't have any structure or purpose. Forwards were great but nothing came off the back of it. Foran will change that next year but we're still stuck with it for 2015...

All in all, I'm not enraged over last night. We gifted them two stupid tries and failed to make the most of what we created.

Better discipline and a focus on structure and we can win games against the best teams.

I agree.

If we play with the same effort like last night for the rest of the year I will be pretty happy.

Latest posts