What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v. Brisbane

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Watmough is solid. He works much harder both on and off the ball. Terepo goes well with the ball in hand but the rest of the time he'll only tackle if players run right at him - last night he only made 15 tackles in 41 minutes. Had good involvement in attack though, which only started last week. He's finally understanding how much 'pointless' work you need to do on the field. You can't just bludge until it's your turn for a run or a tackle. You have to go looking for work.

Watmough played longer minutes yesterday for less carries, so it looks like he is starting to accept that he is here to play a supporting role. Guys like Watmough allow guys like Terepo to slug around the field picking and choosing their involvement. But ideally everyone goes hard every minute they're on the pitch.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
I just remember Watmough beeing the type of guy who busted the line.Hard to stop.Powefull 20 mtr surges.
Now he is too me is just an average first grader. Sure i dont notice the dirty work he does. Along with Mannah.Maybe why im not a coach.

I just hope we dont lose a few good ACADEMY players from this long term signing.

As i said if norman puts bomb up and we score-Golden point.Everyone probably raves on how watmough played the perfect role and gives the team mental strength

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You'll notice Watmough was one of the few chasers on that kick that Milford returned for a try. He was disgusted at his mates.

Forty20

First Grade
You would want to hope so Poups...Choc was the one to originally concede the linebreak to him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He conceded the linebreak because he was the only chaser. You would hope a speedster like Milford would beat a single chaser. If Watmough had hung back with his lazy mates there wouldn't have even been a linebreak. But sticking with the herd wasn't the right thing to do. If they had chased as hard as Watmough there probably wouldn't have been a linebreak either, plus the chance of forcing an error.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He conceded the linebreak because he was the only chaser. You would hope a speedster like Milford would beat a single chaser. If Watmough had hung back with his lazy mates there wouldn't have even been a linebreak. But sticking with the herd wasn't the right thing to do. If they had chased as hard as Watmough there probably wouldn't have been a linebreak either, plus the chance of forcing an error.

That's a fair observation, imo.

hindy111

Post Whore
NO wrong POU.

See the kick was into no mans land. You had norman in the middle of field and watmough 5 mtrs from him. Than you had 4 guy outwide wanting the bomb. norman puts in a horrid kick. Watmough was only guy there cause rest stacked to right hoppa-falou-robo and I think gower?
The bad play was from norman.Watmough was isolated one on one with milford.with 5 mtrs space either side of him and Norman standing still thinking what a bad kick why didn't I bomb it with 4 guys outwide waiting for it.

souths_pride

Juniors
Either way, only one bloke chased. You can't just give up because of a bad kick or wrong decision.

I agree with that! Regardless of who dropped the pass, knock the ball on etc. the team needs to react quick. I felt that quite a few times, a lot of the players in the Parra team just stood there and didn't react fast enough (or at all).

souths_pride

Juniors
I just remember Watmough beeing the type of guy who busted the line.Hard to stop.Powefull 20 mtr surges.
Now he is too me is just an average first grader. Sure i dont notice the dirty work he does. Along with Mannah.Maybe why im not a coach.

I just hope we dont lose a few good ACADEMY players from this long term signing.

As i said if norman puts bomb up and we score-Golden point.Everyone probably raves on how watmough played the perfect role and gives the team mental strength

You mention these academy players? Where are they all? You guys always have the best juniors but you seem to let them go. For me, this is the biggest issue with the club - the players that you are keeping are not as talented as the ones you are letting go! This needs to be fixed!

As for Watmough, I think his role is very ambiguous; what is his job in the team? I think once you get that sorted, he might start finding some for. The problem with signing players like him and Beau Scott are that they don't give a stuff about the club or play with passion. No one can tell me that he is playing with the same passion and enthusiasm that he was when he was at Manly. Players at the back end of their careers, like Watmough and Beau Scott, view these sorts of gigs in black and white - they are their to do a job and to an extent do it, but their performances are not at a level of someone who loves the club and have been there for 200+ games. In a sense, they are looking for one big pay day before their careers end.

Bandwagon

Staff member
'Which one?' is a stupid question. The salary cap isn't a one for one algorithm, which is why it's measured in dollars and not players. The only time you could say player X specifically impacts player Y is in the fact that the salary cap covers no more or less than 25 players. So while Hayne's salary could potentially buy well over a dozen players on minimum wage, it doesn't work that way. His money is spread across the entirety of the squad, improving it overall.

If it's such a stupid question, why avoid providing an answer that isn't a bunch of circular dribble?

But ok,

Where was the money spread that improved the squad for this year?

It hasn't been as far as I can see. So let's make the question a little easier, which players that have played first grade this year do you think would not have been signed for this year had Hayne stayed?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You mention these academy players? Where are they all? You guys always have the best juniors but you seem to let them go. For me, this is the biggest issue with the club - the players that you are keeping are not as talented as the ones you are letting go! This needs to be fixed!

The players we're keeping are talented too. The problem is we don't produce tough players with hard edged attitudes. Is that because we lack them in the district and struggle to poach them from outside? Or is it (more likely IMO) that this is a learned trait that our youngsters never learn because there's never any hardened senior players at the club to learn it from?

souths_pride

Juniors
The players we're keeping are talented too. The problem is we don't produce tough players with hard edged attitudes. Is that because we lack them in the district and struggle to poach them from outside? Or is it (more likely IMO) that this is a learned trait that our youngsters never learn because there's never any hardened senior players at the club to learn it from?

I actually think at present you do have quite a few hard-edged players. For instance, Danny Wicks has been a real success, David Gower is as tough as they come, Manu Mau doesn't give anything away etc. In saying that, I've read quite a few posts by other Parra fans mentioning this hard-edged attitude but I think we need to clarify what it means. If your talking about being a psycho on the footy field and being like the Roosters and Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves, then your better off with out those type of players. If your referring to good line speed, making dominant tackles, taking the ball up hard - then that comes down to attitude and not ability. Proof of that is shown in the games that Souths have been losing lately. Look at the attitude of the likes of Parra, the Cowboys and especially the Sharks the other night when they played us! Those teams really stood up because they were playing the premiers - it was their attitude that result in that harder edge.

I think one of Parra's major problems is that you guys lack leadership. The best example I can give and I've mentioned it before in the Brad Arthur thread is on Easter Monday when you guys were awarded the penalty from in front of the sticks and NOT ONE player showed any leadership or conviction in running up and pointing to the sticks; Peat stood there with the ball in his hands and looked around while several players came and went. The ref had to actually ask the team 2-3 times what they were going to do!

Part of this leadership issue is having players who would die for the club. I think that is problem with signing these veterans i.e. Watmough and Beau Scott; they view their jobs as black and white. In a sense they are mercenaries or guns for hire who are professional and do their jobs but don't have any real passion or love for the club. Its not their fault; how can they? They haven't been there for any great periods of time.

I actually think at present you do have quite a few hard-edged players. For instance, Danny Wicks has been a real success, David Gower is as tough as they come, Manu Mau doesn't give anything away etc. In saying that, I've read quite a few posts by other Parra fans mentioning this hard-edged attitude but I think we need to clarify what it means. If your talking about being a psycho on the footy field and being like the Roosters and Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves, then your better off with out those type of players. If your referring to good line speed, making dominant tackles, taking the ball up hard - then that comes down to attitude and not ability. Proof of that is shown in the games that Souths have been losing lately. Look at the attitude of the likes of Parra, the Cowboys and especially the Sharks the other night when they played us! Those teams really stood up because they were playing the premiers - it was their attitude that result in that harder edge.

I think one of Parra's major problems is that you guys lack leadership. The best example I can give and I've mentioned it before in the Brad Arthur thread is on Easter Monday when you guys were awarded the penalty from in front of the sticks and NOT ONE player showed any leadership or conviction in running up and pointing to the sticks; Peat stood there with the ball in his hands and looked around while several players came and went. The ref had to actually ask the team 2-3 times what they were going to do!

Part of this leadership issue is having players who would die for the club. I think that is problem with signing these veterans i.e. Watmough and Beau Scott; they view their jobs as black and white. In a sense they are mercenaries or guns for hire who are professional and do their jobs but don't have any real passion or love for the club. Its not their fault; how can they? They haven't been there for any great periods of time.

I'd have to agree with the majority of what you wrote here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They don't need to die for the club. That's what fans are for. These players are who they are because they have pride on their own performances and hate to lose. That's what motivates them, not love for the jersey or any shit like that.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gower has passion thou and he hasn't been there long.So has wicks and Manu.
Some players have passion to just win regaurdless of who they are playing for.

Your almost saying that guys the leave a club lose there desire to win.This is inbuilt in you personality.I don't think it changes. Some guys just hate to lose and give there all!!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gower has passion thou and he hasn't been there long.So has wicks and Manu.
Some players have passion to just win regaurdless of who they are playing for.

Your almost saying that guys the leave a club lose there desire to win.This is inbuilt in you personality.I don't think it changes. Some guys just hate to lose and give there all!!!

Yep spot on. Fans delude themselves into thinking players give a shit about the club or the jersey. Or that it even matters. Maguire didn't seem to have a problem throwing big money at Glenn Stewart. Coaches aren't stupid. They know that proven performers are all self motivated. Love for the club is irrelevant on game day. It might just get you a discount on the player at contract time.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
I completely understand why he has recruited Watmough and we just signed Scott.

Bird or Myles would be beneficial too, regardless of age!

The soft mentality has to go! People here whinge incessantly when we give away penalties yet want us to be hard asses. How are we supposed to be hard and not give away penalties?

Giving away penalties has not really been an issue for Souths, Manly, Melbourne or the Roosters on the way to premierships in the last 5 years.......intimidating the f**k out of your opponents with those smashing penalties is what has helped.

Our team try it and all we hear is whinging from everywhere that we gave away a penalty. We just need to learn to defend those penalties, Souths didn't win over night, they built themselves nicely to a premiership.

Me personally i like the style we started with to begin the season but we lost it and have gone back into our shell. I don't mind giving away penalties if they are the type of penalties that JWH and the like give away.

U make lots of sense and often find myself agreeing with u.

Latest posts