What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Dragons

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I think Townsend is a bit of an upstart by the sounds of it to be honest.
I don't want to see punch ups at training.

I seriously doubt it was a punch up. That would be media hype and exaggeration to drag interest.

What it does show is that the level of training has intensified. It's like brothers playing, all it takes is for one of them to go a bit too far and then the other responds and so on.

I would be shocked if it's anything more than that, and to me it shows a level of competitiveness and intensity that's sorely been lacking from this team for some time.

If it becomes a weekly occurrence I'll be worried, but I doubt it will.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The dragons have their own version of bunniesman.

Who'd of thought.

I'm insulted.

Just for that I have to come out and say I'd tipping the Warriors to win and win big. You're due a big game. I reckon it'll be something like 38-12. Mark my words.

JJ

Immortal
Often lippy halves are to be desired... nothing wrong with a little argy bargy at training - obviously a punch up would be extreme, but one expects that's the media using their 'journalistic license' to embellish - as they always do

JJ

Immortal
I'm insulted.

Just for that I have to come out and say I'd tipping the Warriors to win and win big. You're due a big game. I reckon it'll be something like 38-12. Mark my words.

That score wouldn't surprise me, but us being on the good end would... but then, to paraphrase Forrest, 'the Warriors are like a box of chocolates'...

To me without Matulino, Hurrell and Mateo (what Mateo should be) we just don't have the points in us

Rebel

First Grade
I'm insulted.

Hopefully the bad grammar effects the curse of your post.

Watching the footage on 3news about konrads dropping it's pretty obvious that he's picking and choosing when to put in effort on D. That lack of chase on the intercept was appalling

JJ

Immortal
Watching the footage on 3news about konrads dropping it's pretty obvious that he's picking and choosing when to put in effort on D. That lack of chase on the intercept was appalling

yep... agreed - and of course it was Mannering and Friend who chased it down - if everyone put in the same play by play effort as them we'd be sweet

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's pretty clear McFadden wants that to be the standard rather than the exception, and when a young guy like Laumape runs him down you know he's one who just "gets it".

Benek

Juniors

This is the important point to take out of the whole thing. It's not that he missed too many tackles or made bad decisions. It's simply that he chooses to put in a lot of effort on attack, but not always the same level of effort on defense. I believe McF will hold the entire team to this same level of expectation, but Hurrell has been made the first example of. It will hurt of short term not having him on the field, but could do wonder for us longer-term if it finally puts to bed the defensive effort and attitude issues we've been struggling with for years.

Honestly I think he's the first coach we've had in ages that has the balls to actually try to improve the culture around here.

Iafeta

Referee
Surely its not on the intercept. Friend HAD to chase hard, the bloke was the numpty who threw perhaps the dumbest pass since 1997. The other bloke I noticed not having a crack was Shaun Johnson on that play. He was casually waltzing back.

I'll back Cappy because I think he's a man of his word - there will be consequences, and training is going to be intense. Simple, but effective. All I can say is Dane Neilsen must be a wicked trainer, because he's deadset the weakest centre we've had since ... hmmm, maybe Peter Lewis?

JJ

Immortal
Surely its not on the intercept. Friend HAD to chase hard, the bloke was the numpty who threw perhaps the dumbest pass since 1997. The other bloke I noticed not having a crack was Shaun Johnson on that play. He was casually waltzing back.

I'll back Cappy because I think he's a man of his word - there will be consequences, and training is going to be intense. Simple, but effective. All I can say is Dane Neilsen must be a wicked trainer, because he's deadset the weakest centre we've had since ... hmmm, maybe Peter Lewis?

Yeah, but you know regardless of who threw the pass Friend and Mannering would have chased...

Johnson is another that should come under the microscope imo, if McFadden is genuine about this

Iafeta

Referee
I take it back a bit TBH. I just saw the replay of what Konrad did when Hodkinson got the intercept. He actually begins to walk. When the Dogs scored, if we had have had one or two more blokes back in the line we could have stopped the overlap. I remember a boss of mine once said the standard you walk past is the standard you set. Cappy's obviously not going to walk past a lack of effort like that.

Hopefully Konrad proves himself in reggies, Neilsen gets his game going, and a genuinely tough decision comes. Personally I'd love to see a backline of Fish, Laumape, Hurrell, Vatuvei.

Diesel

Referee
It's amazing what comes out after another 24 hours. I was fine with him dropping Konnie based on KPI's (or what I thought could've been disaplinary action) but after reading/hearing it was because he didn't bother turning and chasing I'm all for the drop. Great to see Cappy, a new head coach with his future beyond this year unknown, is setting some good standards and willing to drop players that others wouldn't have. Short term pain for long term gain

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, I saw it. Still not sure about dropping Hurrell on the back of that alone, but if it wakes the team up, I'll lead the chorus singing McFadden's praises.