What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Dragons

Rich102

Staff member
Watching the footage on 3news about konrads dropping it's pretty obvious that he's picking and choosing when to put in effort on D. That lack of chase on the intercept was appalling

I agree to some extent. It looked bad. But we know Konnie is struggling for fitness and he had put in a lot of effort during the game.
Using up the last of his reserves on a futile, for him, chase may not have been the wisest of moves.
Still, coaches call.

Heard a reasonably good rumour last night that Hurrells manager has been making contact with union clubs this week. This was from someone involved with the NZRFU

JJ

Immortal
yikes... he's certainly a handful... hard to see how he'd be anything but bored in Union, and there's a certain SBW heading back who's better in every way... assuming the goal would be the All Blacks...

LeagueNut

First Grade
He was always a Union player before we recruited him for U20s right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Maybe it's just a bargaining chip.

oikee

Juniors
I am not 100% with Mcfadden on his coaching methods.
I mean Nelson was bought because of his so-called strong defence. Well he missreads a lot.

And now the coach has announced he needs another quality centre. ?

Bit tricky that one. I think Locke will end up being the next Gidley, i am still trying to work out what he(gidley does) , besides getting injured from having to tackle monsters.
Locke is already a delicate creature. lol. Injury prone.

Izz

Bench
Yes, McClennan and McFadden are both lacking in the hair department, but they're definitely not the same person.

tangalife

Juniors
Surely its not on the intercept. Friend HAD to chase hard, the bloke was the numpty who threw perhaps the dumbest pass since 1997. The other bloke I noticed not having a crack was Shaun Johnson on that play. He was casually waltzing back.

I'll back Cappy because I think he's a man of his word - there will be consequences, and training is going to be intense. Simple, but effective. All I can say is Dane Neilsen must be a wicked trainer, because he's deadset the weakest centre we've had since ... hmmm, maybe Peter Lewis?

That's a bit harsh considering Hurrell was as much as a liability as he was a force last year, and Ropati has had his moments. Carlos Tui is the worst i've seen.

oikee

Juniors
kinda a moot point

But yeah

Yes Meth, it is a mute point but the facts remain, he has said that his centre or one of his centres are not good enough. ??

Now if i was Nelson or Hurrell, and my agent told me another club is looking at you,,,,,,,,,,, bye bye. I would hate to see them lose Hurrell to Manly, only for Manly to simply fix him and produce another Matai or Hika so to inflick more pain on the Warriors.

I mean their comes a time when you must ask, when is the warriors going to stop letting all the great juniors go overseas, only to have them come back to destroy the club when they play.

The only guy that truely should have been let go was Topou at Canberra. Geew hiz, talk about butter fingers, worse than Jack butter fingered Reed at the Drongoes.
I wonder how much longer the Broncos can put up with these under-rated players.
You look at that team and just know they will never have a grand final finger ring.

Blair

Coach
Yeah, I saw it. Still not sure about dropping Hurrell on the back of that alone, but if it wakes the team up, I'll lead the chorus singing McFadden's praises.

Hurrell should've already had a strong wake up call when he was left out of the first two games of the season. Presumedly McFadden was in agreement with Elliott on this.

They might be slow learners, our guys.

McFadden's had a good look at Hurrell, having both been in the set up last season and so far this season. This wouldn't be a sudden, knee-jerk reaction by the coach looking for answers to ongoing problems.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Heard a reasonably good rumour last night that Hurrells manager has been making contact with union clubs this week. This was from someone involved with the NZRFU

That would only be the agent doing his job, attempting to gain the best deal possible for his agent. Never hurts to know what the market values you at.

Funny that Kon got the chocolates in the 3-2-1 votes then got dumped. If I was Mr McFadden, I'd be backing myself to coach a sufficient defensive structure and work with him to improve, rather than dump to NSW Cup where I doubt he'll learn too much.

JJ

Immortal
Hurrell should've already had a strong wake up call when he was left out of the first two games of the season. Presumedly McFadden was in agreement with Elliott on this.

They might be slow learners, our guys.

McFadden's had a good look at Hurrell, having both been in the set up last season and so far this season. This wouldn't be a sudden, knee-jerk reaction by the coach looking for answers to ongoing problems.

No question Hurrell needs to wake up to himself - but his upside is so huge, if he does sort his shit out and a coach can get the best out of him, he's potentially the world's best (I guess that's Inglis atm who doesn't play there for club) - with the ball he's already dynamic, the rest is bread and butter to Australians...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yes Meth, it is a mute point but the facts remain, he has said that his centre or one of his centres are not good enough. ??

Now if i was Nelson or Hurrell, and my agent told me another club is looking at you,,,,,,,,,,, bye bye. I would hate to see them lose Hurrell to Manly, only for Manly to simply fix him and produce another Matai or Hika so to inflick more pain on the Warriors.

I mean their comes a time when you must ask, when is the warriors going to stop letting all the great juniors go overseas, only to have them come back to destroy the club when they play.

The only guy that truely should have been let go was Topou at Canberra. Geew hiz, talk about butter fingers, worse than Jack butter fingered Reed at the Drongoes.
I wonder how much longer the Broncos can put up with these under-rated players.
You look at that team and just know they will never have a grand final finger ring.

What great juniors have we let go and which ones have destroyed us?

Off the top of my head Hiku, Gavet, FPN, and Feki are the only ones to have left who you could argue would make our current side and from what others have said all but Feki had questionable attitudes, hung with the wrong people or just needed to get out of NZ to realise their potential

Sometimes players need to leave their junior club and get out of their comfort zone to achieve success. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is sometimes.

Outside of those guys a ton of Warriors juniors have moved on without much luck. We've kept the majority of who we want to keep and there's some real talent coming through in the current NYC team with the benefit of a much better pathway into first grade.

oikee

Juniors
Spot on JJ, and the aussie clubs will whip him away in a mega-second and turn him into the next superstar Mal Meninga.
They will probably even convert him to origin saying he was not Tongan, but lived in Queensland as a child, hand over some fact documents.

Those fact Queensland documents are what normal people call fake.
Queenslanders keep it real. Everyone's a Queenslander.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
What great juniors have we let go and which ones have destroyed us?

Off the top of my head Hiku, Gavet, FPN, and Feki are the only ones to have left who you could argue would make our current side and from what others have said all but Feki had questionable attitudes, hung with the wrong people or just needed to get out of NZ to realise their potential

Sometimes players need to leave their junior club and get out of their comfort zone to achieve success. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is sometimes.

Outside of those guys a ton of Warriors juniors have moved on without much luck. We've kept the majority of who we want to keep and there's some real talent coming through in the current NYC team with the benefit of a much better pathway into first grade.

And glad you brought another problem up, letting them out of NZ only then to find they dont want to come back. ?? Nice work.
I saved me delving deeper.
Look, i could go and do a search for you but lets start with Ruben.
There are many juniors that have already won Melbourne premierships, ?
Steve Kearney. ? ouch, gee only two clubs and we have some heavy weights right their.

I could keep looking, i am sure i could drag out a team choc full of superstars from NZ.

Those brothers, Jessie and Lenny Brommich. ? They Kiwis or Aussies now.

oikee

Juniors
Mind you, i am not knocking the warriors system, they just need to keep the gate mostly shut.
Stop letting other clubs sucker punch them, like Manly and Melbourne Storm. Oh, and west Tigers. That Gold Coast school that is stripping juniors out of NZ has to be plugged, or find some compensation for NZ.
I know it is helping players flow into the NRL and making them huge money, but geew hiz, they are just coming back as massive forwards ready to bury the warriors pack.

Not long ago i made a little list of players to tie up.
I had Charlie Gubb on that list.
Dont lose the Gubbster, he was made to wear a premiership ring.
He has already won a Queensland cup tital. ?

Last edited: