What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Dragons

vvvrulz

Coach
Hurrell's defence has been a problem for a while.... BUT he didn't do much wrong on D on the weekend and has generally been pretty decent this season so far.

And that said with what he's been doing on attack, I wouldn't even care too much if he let a couple in!

I get the feeling there is more to this otherwise McFad is off his head.

Diesel

Referee
If it's disaplinary then I back McFadden no matter how many players we have unavailable or out of form. He said he talks tough and is tough so if this is what we are going to see with a strict attitude and culture then I'm all for it. Everyone here had been saying it's not the coaches it's the players running the place, well IMO this is a smart move to show everyone he means business.
Short term pain for long term gain

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The more I think about it the more I'm fine with the decision.

Was a shock at first for sure, but I'm backing McFadden on this one.

Meth

Staff member
If it's disaplinary then I back McFadden no matter how many players we have unavailable or out of form. He said he talks tough and is tough so if this is what we are going to see with a strict attitude and culture then I'm all for it. Everyone here had been saying it's not the coaches it's the players running the place, well IMO this is a smart move to show everyone he means business.
Short term pain for long term gain

Same

But apparently it's because of his defence

If it's discipline, say so. If you don't, it doesn't show (us) that he means business. It shows us he has nfi

JJ

Immortal
IMO he's setting a minimum standard for first grade, not just what the stats say, but all the off the ball shit that can often be the difference between being in the right place at the right time or getting there too late.

Lost track of the amount of times people used to say "give me 13 Michael Luck's over a bunch of show ponies who can't do the basics". That's not a dig at Hurrell, but rather the mentality McFadden seems to be taking from the outside looking in.

If I'm right (just theory work really) then the team's going to be better off in the long run. We had the Dogs on the ropes and tried to force it, and I think part of that comes back to players not having full trust and confidence in each other. If high minimum standards have been set and each player can run out knowing the guy next to him has met those standards too it can only be a good thing for the teams confidence and mentality when the games are close.

Either that or it's only taken one typical Warriors performance to drive AM mad. Take your pick.

But, the fullback and the large fella on the wing both make monumental f**k-ups every week, so why are they still in the team... The old rocks and diamonds argument goes for Manu, but Hurrell has more x factor than the rest of the backline added together atm (and Nielsen counts negative of course)

I just am not getting it, I am not going to watch the tape over and over - but my impression (and most here and that I have spoken to) was the kid was very good (as was Laumape) and I read he missed just one tackle...

But again, if off the ball stuff and minimum standards are the issue - then Tomkins and Manu would be high(er?) on the list - and the inability of Johnson to deliver at the end of the game, and the abortion of an effort at a field goal...

Anyway, rant over, I am not usually a defender of Hurrell, but in this case I struggle to understand... Dragons by 15...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The key word is "effort". He's been dropped for not meeting the standards for effort in defense. It has nothing to do with single moments good or bad, it's about his overall performance when relating to the effort he put in according to McFadden.

There's a reason why we're so consistent, why we have brilliant games followed by absolute howlers, it's because we're a mentally weak team. There needs to be building blocks put in place to overcome that, and it starts with effort. Effort is mental, and by ensuring every player meets the standard for that he's attempting to strengthen the culture and mental strength of the team and its individuals.

JJ

Immortal
yep, and fair enough, he's the coach...

Without Hurrell there, I don't know there's much threat - and the defence remains shaky...

Time will tell

WellsNZ

Juniors
The key word is "effort". He's been dropped for not meeting the standards for effort in defense. It has nothing to do with single moments good or bad, it's about his overall performance when relating to the effort he put in according to McFadden.

There's a reason why we're so consistent, why we have brilliant games followed by absolute howlers, it's because we're a mentally weak team. There needs to be building blocks put in place to overcome that, and it starts with effort. Effort is mental, and by ensuring every player meets the standard for that he's attempting to strengthen the culture and mental strength of the team and its individuals.

Exactly, effort is the word that so many are overlooking.

I don't see why people have so many problems with it, shouldn't people be happy that here's a coach who clearly has standards in place and wants to drive Hurrell, who as we all know has the potential to be among the very best centres in the competition, to reach that potential?

There's no point bringing up all these other players. This is about Hurrell meeting the expectations that are put on him. That's entirely on him, nobody else, Hurrell isn't in the team because he didn't meet the goals that the coach set for him, how is this a bad thing? aside from the fact that he didn't meet them.

Somehow, I doubt there's much thought going into somebody like Nielsen's long term progression. He is what he is, he's not often short on "effort" and nobody is concerned with developing him to be the clubs long term star centre, he'll be out the door soon. Hurrell on the other hand can and should be a core member of the Warriors for many, many years to come. If this sort of thing leads to a more well rounded Hurrell in the long term then it's a great thing.

One Warrior

Bench
Exactly, effort is the word that so many are overlooking.

I don't see why people have so many problems with it, shouldn't people be happy that here's a coach who clearly has standards in place and wants to drive Hurrell, who as we all know has the potential to be among the very best centres in the competition, to reach that potential?

There's no point bringing up all these other players. This is about Hurrell meeting the expectations that are put on him. That's entirely on him, nobody else, Hurrell isn't in the team because he didn't meet the goals that the coach set for him, how is this a bad thing? aside from the fact that he didn't meet them.

Somehow, I doubt there's much thought going into somebody like Nielsen's long term progression. He is what he is, he's not often short on "effort" and nobody is concerned with developing him to be the clubs long term star centre, he'll be out the door soon. Hurrell on the other hand can and should be a core member of the Warriors for many, many years to come. If this sort of thing leads to a more well rounded Hurrell in the long term then it's a great thing.

Agree 100%.

Izz

Bench
Laumape to score a hattrick, Neilson to let in a hattrick, Hurrell not to be seen again in FG this year :D

Actually, i'm hoping for that same backline Penrose_11 is by the middle of the year.

Meth

Staff member
If its about performance on the field, I have no idea why anyone is ok with Hurrell being dropped.

McFadden's honeymoon, I suppose.

Meth

Staff member
I'll tell you who will be in full support of McFadden's decision to drop Hurrell- Gerard Beale

vvvrulz

Coach
If its about performance on the field, I have no idea why anyone is ok with Hurrell being dropped.

McFadden's honeymoon, I suppose.

If the drop is judged purely on the on-field performance then its farcical to drop him.

But there *has* to be something off-field that has gone on here.
This is reminding me of the Inu saga all over again.

Meth

Staff member
If the drop is judged purely on the on-field performance then its farcical to drop him.

But there *has* to be something off-field that has gone on here.
This is reminding me of the Inu saga all over again.

Exactly.

And the big bone of contention over Inu was "tell us what the problem is"

We can't rush to the conclusion that it is off field stuff though- so far, all we have to go on is the claim that he's not meeting defensive kpi's

Rich102

Staff member
Strange decision but I am prepared to cut him some slack.
At least he didn't rush Mateo back after last week's poor performance.

Latest posts