What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team VS Cowboys

Redback71

First Grade
i have nothing against cayless but it would be good if he can hold the ball especially when where attacking the oppositions try line

yy_cheng

Coach
I would give the C to Riddell (if Hindy doesn't want it.)
But for some reason, I think it would be Burt

Hellsy

Immortal
True EEL said:
thats fine to have your opinion, sorry wasn't meaning to sound like i was up you, just unhappy with Smith and the state of the team

just wanted to pull you up on the Cayless starting from the bench "plenty of times" he hasn't really and if he has it's been more to do with injury

all good though, no probs from me to you

Thats fine, I just don't see it as an issue. He hasn't been playing 100%, so bench is fine for mine.
He'll be on in about 20mins anyway I reckon :D :D

Redback71 said:
so whos the starting captain with no vella or wagon

It looked like Piggy was on field captain last week.

The Colonel

Immortal
The team needed a shakeup. No use beating about the bush and respecting the captain and senior players - we have had too much talk in the press in regards to redemption and revenge:blahb: . They need to start playing football and some blokes need their minds on the job. IMO this is one of the best things to happen - no one is untouchable but for too long you wouldn't have thought so. The message is hopefully clear. Do the job or someone else will do it for you.

It was certain that not everyone would be happy with the team as named - no one ever is happy on a Tuesday.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I agree,

whether we're been trounced each week or winning by 30, not everyone be happy with the side he chooses and I'm sure any other coach would be swapping or changing to find the right balance to play with..

I find some decisions a little strange but at the very least he is trying things.

boy, do I love Tuesdays.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Better side - some new faces. Delaney gets his chance provided Tahu isn't fit..... Can't find too much wrong with that one.

Gotta agree there.

Just wish Morrison was playing.

And if Cayless is going to keep starting from the bench, why make him captain at all?

Eelementary

Post Whore
True EEL said:
well i have had it......

talk about an embarrassment of a club.....and you can all bag Cayless's form etc all you want, but how does a first grade coach go out and deadset embarrass his Captain in round 3 by naming him in # 16......AND then still have the "c" next to his name

and please don't bore me with his form is bad etc 32 tackles and second in metres gained last week from our forwards "off the bench" pleeeaaseeee??? and anyway, what Parra forward has performed well so far this year???

if last week wasn't enough - this will do me with Smith - finally and completely

and Vella - try telling me he hasn't been one of our better forwards so far - so what does genius boy do - put him in reserve garde, yet Chad "i add nothing to the team" Robinson get a start......

Brian Smith's brain and logic escapes me..........completely

i feel embarrassed for Parra and Cayless.....

How about Vella? Morrison? Riddell?

Just for starters.

parralight

Juniors
The Colonel said:
The team needed a shakeup. No use beating about the bush and respecting the captain and senior players - we have had too much talk in the press in regards to redemption and revenge:blahb: . They need to start playing football and some blokes need their minds on the job. IMO this is one of the best things to happen - no one is untouchable but for too long you wouldn't have thought so. The message is hopefully clear. Do the job or someone else will do it for you.

It was certain that not everyone would be happy with the team as named - no one ever is happy on a Tuesday.

I am thinking that with Brian going and all his patience with his underperforming senior players is finally running out and he is doing something constructive about it. So what if Cayless or Wagon get the boils cause he drops them, they wont be at Newy with him next year.

PIG

Juniors
Cayless and Vella have been atrocious and consistently outperformed by the young prop we have in the team from week to week.

Cayless is lucky to hold on to the bloody ball in attack, and in defence has been shocking. Stats aren't everything. Yes he made 30 odd tackles....but he's also the guy opposition catch out when he's in at marker. He tends to go to sleep and inside balls catch him out- there's honestly been at least 2 line breaks made by the opposition each game where cayless has been caught asleep around the ruck area. He deserves the demotion and is bloody lucky to be on the bench. He also barely gets the ball over the advantage line- been doing the same sh!t at the start of every season since 2001 but seems to warm up about by about midway through the year.

Vella has been playing like a pussy for 4 years- yes he does the odd strong charge but more often than not gets smashed. His defence is atrocious. He often goes into tackles as the fourth man in and bear hugs his teammate- he struggles to put anyone down...even halfbacks- won't tackle with his shoulder- doesn't wrap the ball up- shouldn't be anywhere near the team on form and it aint like he hasn't had his chances.

Graham should have a black line through his name never to be picked again- f'n hopeless.

Burt somehow continues to get a run...but the good news is, mail has it if Tahu plays Burt could well be the player to go. Fingers crossed- he offers nothing at all. I'm sick of seeing him shake his head and mutter at himself 5 times a game for aa simple mistake that you'd expect out of a rookie at worst, not a 130 game veteran.

Apart from that I like the changes. Tsolous is a gun in the making, Peter Lewis has more than earnt his chance, Delaney is a solid performer who has huge potential, and O'Dwyer shows more effort, toughness and desperation for a little man than Burt has in his whole career. Hats off to you Brian, but don't be soft and complicate things by bringing these guys back if the others are performing.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
True EEL said:
well i have had it......

talk about an embarrassment of a club.....and you can all bag Cayless's form etc all you want, but how does a first grade coach go out and deadset embarrass his Captain in round 3 by naming him in # 16......AND then still have the "c" next to his name

and please don't bore me with his form is bad etc 32 tackles and second in metres gained last week from our forwards "off the bench" pleeeaaseeee??? and anyway, what Parra forward has performed well so far this year???

if last week wasn't enough - this will do me with Smith - finally and completely

and Vella - try telling me he hasn't been one of our better forwards so far - so what does genius boy do - put him in reserve garde, yet Chad "i add nothing to the team" Robinson get a start......

Brian Smith's brain and logic escapes me..........completely

i feel embarrassed for Parra and Cayless.....

Totally agree, Vella & Cayless do not warrent being demoted, Robinson & Petersen are musts!!!!!!!!

PB

Bench
A couple of things on Cayless ( in my opinion)

1. Despite starting from the bench last week, he still played more minutes than any other forward.

2. Perhaps with Morrison out, and Hindmarsh appearing to be struggling for fitness, he intends to use Cayless as a back rower and a prop during the course of the game. I don't think Cayless is a good back rower, but perhaps this is Smiths plan.

3. Two ways of looking at the captain being on the bench. If it gets called a demotion, (going from the starting side to the bench) you are degrading the value to the team of a Widders or Marsh. Alternatively, Cayless as a player who is used to starting perhaps this will see him hit harder and drive further when hitting the ball up. His work rate has been good as the stats suggest, but the effectiveness may be what needs improving and if this affects Caylo in this way (i.e fire's him up) perhaps it will do the trick.

the_eel

Juniors
At the end of the day there are 26 rounds which is plenty of time for the Vella's and Cayless's to pull their fingers out and get back into the starting 13. Yeh it may be a kick in the teeth but despite being a professional sportsmen and getting paid the big bucks footy players must still come under performance reviews like the rest of us. In the case of these two, more is expected of them.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the_eel said:
At the end of the day there are 26 rounds which is plenty of time for the Vella's and Cayless's to pull their fingers out and get back into the starting 13. Yeh it may be a kick in the teeth but despite being a professional sportsmen and getting paid the big bucks footy players must still come under performance reviews like the rest of us. In the case of these two, more is expected of them.

unfortunately for both Vella and Cayless they've had that profile as the main men at the club for a very long time now and although unforseen circumstances such as illness and injuries have hampered their progress I also believe more is expected of them.

I see a real changing of the guard at the end of the year not sure who will be effected but I just sense it.

Avenger

Immortal
eelavation said:
unfortunately for both Vella and Cayless they've had that profile as the main men at the club for a very long time now and although unforseen circumstances such as illness and injuries have hampered their progress I also believe more is expected of them.

I see a real changing of the guard at the end of the year not sure who will be effected but I just sense it.

I think the eels need it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mick Vella is one of my favourite players, but someone needs to just tell him plain and simply to (1) get aggressive in defence and (2) work on his defensive technique.

I think it's fair to say he has been pretty effective in attack this year, but his defence...His defence is just scary...

As for Cayless, he's had a shocking start to the season. But he is a man that commands respect and is ALL class when he is performing - putting him on the bench MAY just be the rocket he needs to fire up. And when Cayless is firing, so are we.

On another note, I wouldn't mind if Hindmarsh took a break. He seemed a bit under-done last week. He still played very well, but he looked buggered at times.

PIG...You say that if Tahu plays, Burt goes...Who would play on the wing, then? Petersen?