What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team VS Cowboys

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
On another note, I wouldn't mind if Hindmarsh took a break. He seemed a bit under-done last week. He still played very well, but he looked buggered at times.

Geez, he's only played 3 matches after a 5 month break!!
Hindy is the sort of player who needs to keep playing.
Don't worry about him, he'll come good.
If he looks buggered, it's only because he's doing the work of the other 5 forwards.

Suity

True EEL

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
Totally agree, Vella & Cayless do not warrent being demoted, Robinson & Petersen are musts!!!!!!!!

exactly.......

it's fine for others to say "the team needed a shake up and not sit on Cayless because he is the Captain etc" but as usual BS has shaken the wrong parts of the tree

Caylessa nd Vella gone, yet, Robinson is still starting???? you have to be kidding me - and although i love Luke Burt as an EEL - we have all these young wingers and fullbacks sitting around like Hayne, Reddy and Williams and they need to be given an opportunity soon

just hope this is a ruse and Cayless starts in the second row for Robinson

Eelementary

Post Whore
Didn't know that Delaney could play wing...Thought he was a centre/lock/even a 5/8...

As for Hindy...I'm talking for his sake. He's a shoe-in for Origin (he's their best bloody forward lol), and for the Test jumper, so he'll be even more buggered.

I just don't want him to burn out - because he's obviously attacking more this year, and I like what I'm seeing. His runs have been strong and made good indents in the opposition's line.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
I just don't want him to burn out - because he's obviously attacking more this year, and I like what I'm seeing. His runs have been strong and made good indents in the opposition's line.

Indeed.
The attacking Hindy I have seen this year has been more like the Hindy of old, the likes of which I haven't seen for several seasons now.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
it's fine for others to say "the team needed a shake up and not sit on Cayless because he is the Captain etc" but as usual BS has shaken the wrong parts of the tree

Is it right though to leave the captain in the team when he is dropping the ball and missing tackles particularly around the ruck? Sends a bigger message when your captain is dropped and players realise that no one is untouchable. Sends a poorer message if you leave him in the team despite making those mistakes. Too many players becoming complacent about their position in the team IMO.

I agree Robinson should go but with Morrison out and Tsoulos, Lewis and O'Dwyer relative newcomers some experience is needed.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Suitman said:
Indeed.
The attacking Hindy I have seen this year has been more like the Hindy of old, the likes of which I haven't seen for several seasons now.

Suity

This is true!

And we look brilliant when we have both Morrison and Hindmarsh attacking the line and making metres, and then you have Riddell in his second stint as a second-rower adding even more power out there...Looks good!

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
Is it right though to leave the captain in the team when he is dropping the ball and missing tackles particularly around the ruck? Sends a bigger message when your captain is dropped and players realise that no one is untouchable. Sends a poorer message if you leave him in the team despite making those mistakes. Too many players becoming complacent about their position in the team IMO.

I agree Robinson should go but with Morrison out and Tsoulos, Lewis and O'Dwyer relative newcomers some experience is needed.

is it right though to embarrass your Captain because he dropped a few passes and isn't playing to his own incredibly high standard yet?

and also, a couple of passes he has dropped so far ahve been the result oh his and Tim Smith's poor timing on short ball plays close to the line and TS throwing too many blatant forward passes - all early season stuff

everyone is sooooooo upset because Cayless spilt "that" ball mid game against the Broncos when we were making a comeback

i think what BS has done is wrong and the only thing that can make up for it in my mind is if Cayless starts in the second row or at prop on Friday night

Cayless is Parra....do you think he's tyring to drop passes or miss a few tackles - does anyone truely think he doesn't care or isn't tyring???

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
is it right though to embarrass your Captain because he dropped a few passes and isn't playing to his own incredibly high standard yet?

and also, a couple of passes he has dropped so far ahve been the result oh his and Tim Smith's poor timing on short ball plays close to the line and TS throwing too many blatant forward passes - all early season stuff

everyone is sooooooo upset because Cayless spilt "that" ball mid game against the Broncos when we were making a comeback

i think what BS has done is wrong and the only thing that can make up for it in my mind is if Cayless starts in the second row or at prop on Friday night

Cayless is Parra....do you think he's tyring to drop passes or miss a few tackles - does anyone truely think he doesn't care or isn't tyring???

No one is bigger than the team.

While it may be a result of timing just because the bloke is captain shouldn't leave him devoid of criticism. Captains like Cayless lead by example and his example at the moment isn't good....

Last year you complained when he was slotted into the second row and now you believe its Smiths only way of redemption? Personally I think the redemption needs to be done by our captain and proving he needs to be in the team.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
No one is bigger than the team.

While it may be a result of timing just because the bloke is captain shouldn't leave him devoid of criticism. Captains like Cayless lead by example and his example at the moment isn't good....

oh really.....????

well almost EVERYONE on this board treats Nathan Hindmarsh as bigger than the team and like some kind of God and let me tell you - even allowing for him coming back from injury - he was flat out POOR against the Knights, adequate to good against the Warriors and only looked good in spirts againt the Broncos - mainly when he was doing damage promoting the ball

and it is a direct result of time with Cayless and of course being Captain doesn't make you immune against criticsm - i freely admit he hasn't been playing very well so far - but being Captain does supposedly afford you some allowances and being named on the bench after being "strangely demoted" to the bench last week just prior to the start of the game when our other experienced front-rower had just pulled out or been ruled out is simply NOT FITTING of a courageous Captain

i think he is suffering for the lack of effort from the entire TEAM.....unfair

it's clear BS is up to his old tricks......you needed a PhD to figure out what exactly he was trying to do last weekend with his selctions, changes and on-field roles - it was a joke - and Tim Smith for one has admitted in the press he didn't know what was going on and that his shoulder was fine

True EEL

Bench
and Colonel,

if Cayless' example of effort in his play when his game is not quite there yet and obvious passion and emotion after every single mistake is a poor example - especially as the leader of the team - then i give up

look i'm not in love with the bloke - it's just i think he is copping unfair criticism and treatment, especially for someone of his stature on this team - does everyone forget that he started slowly last year too????

True EEL

Bench
and the whole second row thing.....is more a matter of filling a need right now with Robinson doing very little and Morrison being out

i do still believe that Cayless is a better prop, but if BS wants to picka different front row every week (and de-stabilse the forward pack) then yes, at least play Cayless in the second row

and he has shown he can play well in the back row at times, and Tsoulos, Lewis and Stringer certainly have some size and girth on him for the front row

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
oh really.....????

well almost EVERYONE on this board treats Nathan Hindmarsh as bigger than the team and like some kind of God and let me tell you - even allowing for him coming back from injury - he was flat out POOR against the Knights, adequate to good against the Warriors and only looked good in spirts againt the Broncos - mainly when he was doing damage promoting the ball

No one is bigger than the team. Just because forumers build him up on here doesn't make it so. I didn't think he has played a poor game. I think he played well below what he is capable of but hardly poor.

and it is a direct result of time with Cayless and of course being Captain doesn't make you immune against criticsm - i freely admit he hasn't been playing very well so far - but being Captain does supposedly afford you some allowances and being named on the bench after being "strangely demoted" to the bench last week just prior to the start of the game when our other experienced front-rower had just pulled out or been ruled out is simply NOT FITTING of a courageous Captain

i think he is suffering for the lack of effort from the entire TEAM.....unfair

it's clear BS is up to his old tricks......you needed a PhD to figure out what exactly he was trying to do last weekend with his selctions, changes and on-field roles - it was a joke - and Tim Smith for one has admitted in the press he didn't know what was going on and that his shoulder was fine

You have your opinion. Cayless played ok from the bench last week and maybe his demotion was a catalyst. A high tackle count generally means you haven't had the ball or one bloke is doing a lot of work. Judging by the tackle counts we didn't have the ball. Statistics tell one side of the story.

Don't see why he can't do the same this week. Given the size of Tronc and Scott maybe coming on after Tsoulos and Stringer have softened them uop may be an advantage.

True EEL

Bench
so every time Hindmarsh is put on a pedestal for making 40+ tackles (and only 8 hit ups for about 76 m) it's ok

but when Cayless makes a lot of tackles and is second in metres gained it's just because we didn't have a lot of ball and he still played poorly and set a poor example....or was it just that he was doing all the work??

bit ambiguous here......

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
so every time Hindmarsh is put on a pedestal for making 40+ tackles (and only 8 hit ups for about 76 m) it's ok

but when Cayless makes a lot of tackles and is second in metres gained it's just because we didn't have a lot of ball and he still played poorly and set a poor example....or was it just that he was doing all the work??

bit ambiguous here......

As I've said you have your opinion on what is happening and I have mine. Personally this shake up is a long time coming and I am happy for it. The whole team made a lot of tackles - doesn't make it a good performance just because he did.

Hindy didn't play well on the weekend. Most on here have agreed - look at the Player Votes for this game if you disagree. McKinnon, O'Dwyer and Riddell seem to carry most favour. In the past that would have been very different.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
As I've said you have your opinion on what is happening and I have mine. Personally this shake up is a long time coming and I am happy for it. The whole team made a lot of tackles - doesn't make it a good performance just because he did.

Hindy didn't play well on the weekend. Most on here have agreed - look at the Player Votes for this game if you disagree. McKinnon, O'Dwyer and Riddell seem to carry most favour. In the past that would have been very different.

problem is....dropping and embarrassing your captain doesn't equate to an adequate or effective team shake-up - just lends it'self to team instability

and it's always easy to say "you have your opinion and i have mine" when you don't have a recourse or adequate reply to an arguement

BG

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Henry is just as hopeless.

Can't agree with that. He made a couple of bad handling errors last year, bombing certain tries at key times. He paid for it by not getting a look into the first 17 again until now. On the other hand, in a few games early in the season he looked to be only second to Widders in terms of a forward with speed and flair. In one or two games there he made a break or half-break on the fringe of the ruck every time he touched the ball. Ran some gaps well off Tim Smith for a couple of tries too.

Obviously if he can't cut the stuff ups out of his game than he isn't going to be an option. But a player with some genuine flair about his attack deserves a few chances to iron the flaws out of his game. There are plenty of neat and tidy players around who can fill a slot but will never add another dimension to a team's performance.

True EEL

Bench
i agree with BG

apart from a couple of bad errors which made him bomb tries over the line Henry P played well last year and was hampered by injuries

i would be very happy to see him given another opportunity

but then again, dropping passes can be bad for your health at Parra.....??

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
problem is....dropping and embarrassing your captain doesn't equate to an adequate or effective team shake-up - just lends it'self to team instability

In your opinion. Vella and Wagon who have all been mainstays of the team when fit in PL, the captain on the bench, some young blood on the bench. Thats a shakeup IMO.

and it's always easy to say "you have your opinion and i have mine" when you don't have a recourse or adequate reply to an arguement

I don't want to keep dragging on with it really. I applaud the fact Smith has takenm the option that no-one is safe. An option that should have been taken a long long time ago.