What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team VS Cowboys

Parra Guru

Coach
Sorry, I like Cayless but there is NO comparison between him and Hindmarsh. Or between anyone and Hindmarsh.

I don't really beat Hindy up as being a 'God' but he certainly something very special, and maybe when he's retired you'll actually notice his absense - not just on the field, but as a guy (pretty much) every fan respects - there hasn't been a single player like him at Parramatta for over 10 years.

In MY opinion, Hindmarsh played well on the weekend - people possibly expect too much of him every week, but it is now a luxury that we have other guys picking up the slack, and I'm not complaining.

otag

Juniors
Michael Vella has played the better part of his football of the last 4 years, in the last 3 weeks! And he's dropped???

Smithy, dead-set, walk now you fool....

Clarkieel

Juniors
I dont think any player captain or not is above being dropped if their form is down. Hindy I think sometimes we forget he is human and sometime get so used to his superhuman efforts on the field that even when he still plays great (but not at his best) we think he is playing bad where in reality he is actually prob still one of the best players out there. I am not talking specifically of the Brisbane game I will be honest I havent watched it yet I just cant bring ,myself too but in general on a week to week basis.

Who knows what will happen this friday night I have enough faith in our coach that he will be doing his best to guide the team to a win hopefully a huge win!!

True EEL

Bench
Parra Guru said:
Sorry, I like Cayless but there is NO comparison between him and Hindmarsh. Or between anyone and Hindmarsh.

I don't really beat Hindy up as being a 'God' but he certainly something very special, and maybe when he's retired you'll actually notice his absense - not just on the field, but as a guy (pretty much) every fan respects - there hasn't been a single player like him at Parramatta for over 10 years.

In MY opinion, Hindmarsh played well on the weekend - people possibly expect too much of him every week, but it is now a luxury that we have other guys picking up the slack, and I'm not complaining.

i am not under-valuing Hindmarsh - i love the guy and i know just how good he is

i just find it hard when people on this board have double standards for him and other players - in this case him and Cayless

i think Hindmarsh has been below his best and i think Cayless ahs been below his best, yet people seem fine with the fact that our Captain has been demoted and embarrassed and Hindmarsh is allowed to stand pat

i think BS's selections since just prior to the Brisbane game are tired, reactionary and show that he is under a lot of strain

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
i think BS's selections since just prior to the Brisbane game are tired, reactionary and show that he is under a lot of strain

In todays telegraph Smith talks about Cayless's demotion.

The gist of the story was it wasn't permanent and that Cayless has been at his best in the back end of the game rather than the front of the game so far.

Parra Guru

Coach
True EEL said:
i am not under-valuing Hindmarsh - i love the guy and i know just how good he is

i just find it hard when people on this board have double standards for him and other players - in this case him and Cayless

i think Hindmarsh has been below his best and i think Cayless ahs been below his best, yet people seem fine with the fact that our Captain has been demoted and embarrassed and Hindmarsh is allowed to stand pat

I understand what you're getting at, but Hindmarsh has been playing average at worst IMO. Cayless has been shocking. Dropped balls, no go forward. Hindy will always add something to the game in either defence or attack, but Cayless' handling has been inexcusable, particularly against the Knights.

I like Cayless, but he deserves most of the criticism he's getting at the moment.

This week I probably wouldn't have dropped him, but switched him to the second row or the bench where he has been placed.

Bigfella

Coach
If people think Cayless is unlucky or harshly treated to be dropped to the bench then I am glad they are not involved in the coaching staff of our club.

If they can compare his form and contribution to Nathan Hindmarsh's since 2001 then I am even more glad.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
In todays telegraph Smith talks about Cayless's demotion.

The gist of the story was it wasn't permanent and that Cayless has been at his best in the back end of the game rather than the front of the game so far.

so he simply starts, gets his usual mid game rest and then comes back for the last 20-30, sorry don't buy that sort of rhetoric from BS

True EEL

Bench
Bigfella said:
If people think Cayless is unlucky or harshly treated to be dropped to the bench then I am glad they are not involved in the coaching staff of our club.

If they can compare his form and contribution to Nathan Hindmarsh's since 2001 then I am even more glad.

well i'm glad your not either

oh and tell me again how we went as a team in the two seasons that Cayless was out??? and how did we do last season with him back full-time????

True EEL

Bench
Parra Guru said:
I understand what you're getting at, but Hindmarsh has been playing average at worst IMO. Cayless has been shocking. Dropped balls, no go forward. Hindy will always add something to the game in either defence or attack, but Cayless' handling has been inexcusable, particularly against the Knights.

I like Cayless, but he deserves most of the criticism he's getting at the moment.

This week I probably wouldn't have dropped him, but switched him to the second row or the bench where he has been placed.

glad you can at least see my opinion and poitn of view.....

Hindmarsh for so far = average to ok
Cayless form so far = average

if people want to get on him about dropping passes and equate that directly to "form" that is simply short-sighted and unfair, particular when most of his poor handling has been a direct result of poorly-timed short balls (particular the Newcastle game as you already highlighted) from Tim Smith as they like to run plays together.....early season stuff and not reason to drop either of them

i just think this sends a poor message to the rest of the comp - in Round 3 for God's sake" that we are in trouble or not stable - not good IMHO

Bigfella

Coach
His ball handling and penetration have been issues for several seasons now.

Stats may suggest he had a good game on the weekend. The video tape does not.

Unfortunately that type of game has been his norm in recent seasons.

I am not saying he can't play: only that for one of the players first picked in our team each week since 2001, and one of our highest paid, his form has been consistently below the level expected.

I have no doubt that Wagon and Vella fall into the same category. They have been 3 mainstays, along with Hindy. Only one of that quartet has performed to standard over those several years.

True EEL

Bench
people have short memories i'm afraid

Cayless was one of our best week in and week out last year, after a slow start

Suitman

Post Whore
True EEL said:
people have short memories i'm afraid

Cayless was one of our best week in and week out last year, after a slow start

Sorry, but I'm with Bigfella on this as well.

We have seen what Cayless can do - circa 2000-2001. Brilliant. Strong, tough, agressive........
But, since then he has been on the downward slide, without a doubt.

To the point now where he would be lucky to make First Grade, if his name wasn't Nathan Cayless.
The humiliation of starting off the bench, with the (c) next to his name will hopefully be the biggest wake up call of his career.
Because, by god, he needs it.

Suity

damo72

Juniors
Bigfella said:
Stats may suggest he had a good game on the weekend. The video tape does not.

Yes, stats are very deceiving, Ashley Graham - 131 metres, some would think he had a good game.:roll:

True EEL

Bench
Suitman said:
Sorry, but I'm with Bigfella on this as well.

We have seen what Cayless can do - circa 2000-2001. Brilliant. Strong, tough, agressive........
But, since then he has been on the downward slide, without a doubt.

To the point now where he would be lucky to make First Grade, if his name wasn't Nathan Cayless.
The humiliation of starting off the bench, with the (c) next to his name will hopefully be the biggest wake up call of his career.
Because, by god, he needs it.

Suity

i have great respect for you and your posts, but these comments represent the biggest over-reaction by you and other members over one person's form or supposed lack of it that i have seen to date..........

lucky to make First Grade if his name wasn't Nathan Cayless.....please - that is just not cricket to make a comment like that, sorry, cannot agree at all

True EEL

Bench
damo72 said:
Yes, stats are very deceiving, Ashley Graham - 131 metres, some would think he had a good game.:roll:

Ash apparently did make metres, can't deny him that

his poor game came about from his terrible handling and more importantly, his absolutely auwful positioning , effort and performance in defence - he was LOST

fish eel

Immortal
True EEL said:
i
lucky to make First Grade if his name wasn't Nathan Cayless.....please - that is just not cricket to make a comment like that, sorry, cannot agree at all

I'm a big Cayless fan. I thought last year, when he was moved back up to the front row, he was great for the most part.

But, can you honestly tell me that, on form, Nathan Cayless should be selected in the 17 ahead of Michael Vella?