What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Raiders

Harris out for the rest of the season after surgery on wrist
Just saw this. I feel this is actually a positive thing for 2 reasons.

1. He was playing pretty injured, Of all things I never thought it'll be the wrist to sideline him for 2024. Rest up.
2. We got Walker with better speed and other options to keep lock being effective.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just saw this. I feel this is actually a positive thing for 2 reasons.

1. He was playing pretty injured, Of all things I never thought it'll be the wrist to sideline him for 2024. Rest up.
2. We got Walker with better speed and other options to keep lock being effective.
Yep. Harris has been pretty busted all year, I think he’s played maybe one game off the bench where he actually looked fresh and energetic.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There is an annoying lack of detail on this season ending injury. Scaphoid fracture??? tendon off the bone?
Hopefully the long rest recovers his whole body, finds him a skip in his step.
Does it really matter that much? The important fact is he injured his wrist and it required surgery and that puts him out for the season. The rest is just details for medical trainspotters really.

Yep. Harris has been pretty busted all year, I think he’s played maybe one game off the bench where he actually looked fresh and energetic.
Yea I think I know which one you’re referring to… rd14 v Cows when he came with 7 other starters. I think he’d had a 3 week rest incl. the bye and came back really strong off the bench.

I actually think he’s been busted for the last couple of seasons. That Cows game showed he’s still got it, but this extended break will be good for both him and the club.

Matua

Bench
Yep, he's been average and has clearly not been able to take contact. Reality is he shouldn't have been playing injured.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep, hindsight is a great thing but trying to carry Harris and SJ while not fit has clearly been the biggest problem for the team this season, followed by constant injury disruption to the rest of the team.
on the upside though I think most of our other fundamentals and team culture are sound- I think it’s probably just pushed a rebuilding phase on us a year or two before anticipated. Hopefully next year the injury gods are kinder and both SJ and Tohu can play lesser roles if they’re still around without the pressure of having the team riding on them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Mixed emotions. On one hand, it's pretty clear that both SJ and Tohu have been off this year and probably shouldn't have been playing injured. They're both also at a point in their careers where you couldn't confidently bet on them coming back strong. Them being out (even SJ being out for the rest of the season if necessary) probably makes little difference to us putting our best team out in 2024.

However, predictions of us continuing to be a top team in the early years of the "Up the Wahs era" were definitely at least partly based on these two guys continuing to be solid veteran players. In the short term, our squad is weakened relative to what we would've anticipated at the start of this year. I'm not saying it's an existential threat, but realistically our best-laid plans have gone sideways a bit.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mixed emotions. On one hand, it's pretty clear that both SJ and Tohu have been off this year and probably shouldn't have been playing injured. They're both also at a point in their careers where you couldn't confidently bet on them coming back strong. Them being out (even SJ being out for the rest of the season if necessary) probably makes little difference to us putting our best team out in 2024.

However, predictions of us continuing to be a top team in the early years of the "Up the Wahs era" were definitely at least partly based on these two guys continuing to be solid veteran players. In the short term, our squad is weakened relative to what we would've anticipated at the start of this year. I'm not saying it's an existential threat, but realistically our best-laid plans have gone sideways a bit.
That’s kind of what I mean by the rebuilding year happening early. We were heavily reliant on those two and at some point we were going to go through some adjustment pain of building a competitive team without them. I think most people expected that to happen in 2025-26, but as it turns out we’ve probably got more than half way through that process this year. It’s cost us in results this season but I think it puts us in a stronger position next year, and hasn’t been totally catastrophic.

JJ

Immortal
Not really feeling RTS on the wing tbh, strange for me, pretty much a must win game

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not really feeling RTS on the wing tbh, strange for me, pretty much a must win game
I'm excited for it. He wasn't working out at centre, he's played wing at NRL level, decent under the high ball, and again I see that Webster is warming to the fact he has to pick his best team...not the one that has the big names in the big positions.

I like the team, especially if Barnett and Capewell back up.

JJ

Immortal
I'm excited for it. He wasn't working out at centre, he's played wing at NRL level, decent under the high ball, and again I see that Webster is warming to the fact he has to pick his best team...not the one that has the big names in the big positions.

I like the team, especially if Barnett and Capewell back up.
I’d prefer fullback. Will be interesting to see what impacts origin has this week in many games

hitro

Juniors
Good team! I would like to hear about the plans for captaincy. Tohu is gone, Mitch seems to be the replacement but he is no guarantee of even playing after SOO, even if he even does play perhaps it's less minutes. Who is next? Roger? Captains challenge is an important part of the game to get right so we need a captain that's on the field for 80 minutes and got a good view and a good footy brain.

sup42

Juniors
Does it really matter that much? The important fact is he injured his wrist and it required surgery and that puts him out for the season. The rest is just details for medical trainspotters really.
It is not important in terms of this year as you say.

Depending on what he has done it could be career ending. Surgery is usually pretty effective in most cases but if he had say tendon and scaphoid severe damage the wrist can become unstable. Hopefully not his dominant hand for the rest of his life.