What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs whoever we're losing to next week

macavity

Referee
Randall played 13 last night when Brails came on

Our commitment to tiny 13s goes a long way to explain why we always get steamrolled up the middle, every damn game. Even games we win we get steamrolled up the middle.

We keep on trying to manufacture a "ball playing lock" from players who have no business defending in the middle. AOB deserves the punt for that alone.

Frederick

Staff member
I reckon we need to take cover for hooker into the match. As much as I dislike Randall, I think we might better off if he comes on and plays 20 minutes to give Brailey a rest.
Mann can spell him at hooker and Simi can play the 13

Yosh

Coach
Why not Croker? Sure he is young but is a big body and can use the ball well. Barnett is a beast there also in 13.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Why do we need a ball-playing lock?

We are short on impact because of these selections. Our pack gets dominated weekly, partly because we are real hit-up short every set. Maybe if we had bodies providing a positive “advantage” line, we could have even our ranked #16 halves laying on some classy plays. I’ve seen them do it when things go right.

Barnett to 13, Thompson to 12. Mann to 14, where he belongs. Jacob, Croker, and ??? filling the bench.

Edit: Just realised that Macavity suggested basically my point several posts back.
I like to think that I’m reinforcing that opinion, rather than plagiarising. 😇

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
What's everyones thoughts on Pasami? He doesn't get much opportunities but in his limited time this year I feel he's looking faster and more confident. Has a quick play the ball and a pass in him too.

Will he progress enough to be a feature in our 17 or will he be pure depth?

Yosh

Coach
I like him. He should stay and be fighting for a top 17 position. Knocking on the door for first grade sort of quality.

Jono078

Referee
I like him. He should stay and be fighting for a top 17 position. Knocking on the door for first grade sort of quality.
The issue I have is he's only averaging 15 minutes a game this year, in his 5th year of top grade now.

AOB has to give him some more time so we can actually see what he offers. If he's in the 17 then treat him like a top 17 player on the day.

But yeah jury still out but I think you're on the mark and he'll be knocking on that top 17, although there will be more competition next year.

Old dog

Juniors
Saulo is the new King, player that is, we like his efforts and plays strong but we know he isn’t what we want/need up front.
Has been passed by Croker, Thompson and soon to be Talty and likely Bradbury sometime soon not to mention he is well and truly behind Klem and the Safs
His best bet is Dolphins or ESL

Haffa

Im sure I'll get jumped on by the crew that seem to think Croker is the second coming of chief, but Saulos game on Friday night was better than anything Croker has produced in a while.
Saulo would thrive in a team like Parra or Manly.

Im sure I'll get jumped on by the crew that seem to think Croker is the second coming of chief, but Saulos game on Friday night was better than anything Croker has produced in a while.
Different players tbh. Soulo seems to have found his fast feet and straight running of late but he doesn't offer the defence or ball play Croker has at his best

IMO the team needs both types on the bench

SamSepi0l

Juniors
I imagine the forced ball playing 13 role is because our halves are complete garbage.
The problem is cyclical though because those same halves are disadvantaged from missing a bigger bodied 13 making in roads in the defence.

Yosh

Coach
Mann is easily the smallest weakest 13 in the comp. The first 20 of a game is brutal and we get wrecked through the middle carrying a tiny 13.

Start with a bigger body in Thompson or Barnett or Croker. Win the ruck and momentum in the first 20 (we have the forwards to do it) and then bring on Mann to cover hooker and 13.

AOB has the worst bench use and rotation in NRL history.

Ponga
Tuala (yuck )
Gibbs
Gagai
Lee
Milford (Hoy has sucked lately)
Clune
JSaf
Brailey
Klem
Fitz
Barnett