What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teams v Bulldogs

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
Mate, we are talking about 2007.

I do recall people calling for Smithy to be dropped last year, particularly PP.

Moving on.....good idea, the finch factor is becoming a bad stench!

yep and the point is there's a been a few other bad stench's ;-) ...the fact that we're 3 and 2 and not playing at our best is very positive in itself with or without Finchy..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
The trade off for Burt is his lightweight frame.

If he commits to breaking a tackle when he is near the sideline or the tryline and loses his legs, he knows he is a chance of going in touch or over the sideline.

This is something Hodgson has to do as well.

We just have to accept that Burt won't be Anthony Minicello or Wade McKinnon but he will offer other aspects of his game instead.

And if he has to submit tackle one well Hayne Grothe Tahu or Smith can step up next hit up.

well, effectively...the quicker you submit the better opprtunity of that quick play the ball to get where our bigger boys step up as you put it..maybe he's been coached to submit quickly???

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
ok...when [not if , post: -) "] he fails on sunday..who would you have in place of Finch in the 17 baring in mind that Robo and pig may not still be available for round 7.

And I repeat - obviously you missed it...........

Suitman said:
To be honest, the way Finch is playing, and with Chad and Riddell to come back, I'd be happy to have Wagon at 5/8th.
Timmy is the first pass off the ruck 90% of the time anyway. You can't tell me that Finch in his current form would offer us any more than Wagon could at 5'8th? Otherwise, I'd be happy to go Colonels way and for Feliti to be there.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
well, effectively...the quicker you submit the better opprtunity of that quick play the ball to get where our bigger boys step up as you put it..maybe he's been coached to submit quickly???

:lol: :lol:

Suity

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:

Eela, the only problem with that that is that when the ref calls surrender or dominant the tackler is allowed to lay in the tackle for a bit longer so actually tha play the ball is slower. It just frustates me that he must be one of the only fullbacks that can't break tackles by his strength or speed. I am defenitiely being picky and as I mentioned his positives are definitely outweighing his negatives

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
And I repeat - obviously you missed it...........

Suity

so you want Wagon at five-eight imo that's laughable...so for that reason alone i'd love to see him step up. ;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
so you want Wagon at five-eight imo that's laughable...so for that reason alone i'd love to see him step up. ;-)

ATM, so would I.
I'm sick of waiting , that's all.

Suity

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
yep and the point is there's a been a few other bad stench's ;-) ...the fact that we're 3 and 2 and not playing at our best is very positive in itself with or without Finchy..

Everyone else is going OK in 07. If your talking Smith in 06 then fair enough!

The team winning 3 games so far is very positive....but like you said, there is room for improvement ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Eela, the only problem with that that is that when the ref calls surrender or dominant the tackler is allowed to lay in the tackle for a bit longer so actually tha play the ball is slower. It just frustates me that he must be one of the only fullbacks that can't break tackles by his strength or speed. I am defenitiely being picky and as I mentioned his positives are definitely outweighing his negatives

as you said you are being picky..I can go on how Guru frustrated the hell out of me the other night also :lol:

sooperdooper

First Grade
Suitman said:
That's fair enough Sooper, but how long do we give him?
How many more of last week type performances do we put up with?
That's why I said he should be on his last chance. Another effort like last week and it surely wouldn't be unfair to select Green ahead of him - win OR lose?

Suity

i dont know how long we give him, im not the coach i woud say maybe 2 weeks if i were coach but im not!
i think finch would benefit coming off the bench in my eyes

Suitman

Post Whore
sooperdooper said:
i dont know how long we give him, im not the coach i woud say maybe 2 weeks if i were coach but im not!
i think finch would benefit coming off the bench in my eyes

Eela has said that as well, and I can see that it might be a positive for him.
Maybe that will happen come Sunday??

Suity

CrazyEel

Bench
Suitman said:
You can't tell me that Finch in his current form would offer us any more than Wagon could at 5'8th?
Suity
Nor can you tell me Wagon would offer us any more @ 5/8th than Finch, that is not a positive change IMO.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Eela: Just because the team is winning that shouldn't excuse poor performances from players.

The one week Finch has been out of the side Parra scored the most points they have this year and also conceeded the least amount of points in any game this year. Sure Canberra played poorly but I'm never one to let facts get in the way of a good story.

Seriously though, You argue about Finch's defense two things 1. When Green was on his defence seemed to be just as good as Finch's yet Green offerered a lot more in attack.

and with Ian Hindmarsh, Daniel Wagon etc in the side the last thing Parra needs is another defense only player.

and in saying that while he didn't stand out for all the wrong reasons in defence as he did in attack I also don't recall too much in terms of great defense by Finch either.

With injuries options may be limited as far as replacing Finch alotugh even with bias aside Storer has played well from what I've seen of him this year, debatable if it is enough to prove he can do the same in 1st grade but enough to earn a shot at it.

I will agree with you that other players postions in the top 17 can be debated and they might be a bit lucky to be there but none stand out as much as Finch at this time.

what if a Finch fuc*kup costs Parra a spot in the top 8 or the grand final will you still be saying that at least he made that tackle so Parra only lost by 1 pt not 7.

Due to the injuries to Chad and more importantly Riddell I'm not going to crucify Hagan for picking Finch again however, if once Riddell is back and the form of Finmch and Green stays the same as it is now, yet it's Green who makes way for Riddell m,y tone will definatly change.

also if Finch didn't make so many errors in attack he wouldn't need to be solid in defense because the other team wouldn't get the ball back after Finch created an error. So really if Finch screws up inb attack I expect him to make up for it in defence rather then praising him for doing something special in defense he is simply making up for his screwup with the ball.

CrazyEel

Bench
Hurriflatch said:
Wagon represented Queensland at 5/8

just like Wally Lewis and Darren Lockyer
LOL, and Finch represented NSW at 1/2, just like Johns & Sterlo, so what :roll:

I'd prefer Green at 5'8th thankyou :D

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
i dont care who plays #6 as long as timmy is #7.....most of use know i was one of his few supporters when he was getting drilled last year.

But i gotta say i hope finch has a fkn blinder this weekend and gets the MOM....it will shut alot of you up.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
Eela: Just because the team is winning that shouldn't excuse poor performances from players.

The one week Finch has been out of the side Parra scored the most points they have this year and also conceeded the least amount of points in any game this year. Sure Canberra played poorly but I'm never one to let facts get in the way of a good story.

Seriously though, You argue about Finch's defense two things 1. When Green was on his defence seemed to be just as good as Finch's yet Green offerered a lot more in attack.

and with Ian Hindmarsh, Daniel Wagon etc in the side the last thing Parra needs is another defense only player.

and in saying that while he didn't stand out for all the wrong reasons in defence as he did in attack I also don't recall too much in terms of great defense by Finch either.

With injuries options may be limited as far as replacing Finch alotugh even with bias aside Storer has played well from what I've seen of him this year, debatable if it is enough to prove he can do the same in 1st grade but enough to earn a shot at it.

I will agree with you that other players postions in the top 17 can be debated and they might be a bit lucky to be there but none stand out as much as Finch at this time.

what if a Finch fuc*kup costs Parra a spot in the top 8 or the grand final will you still be saying that at least he made that tackle so Parra only lost by 1 pt not 7.

Due to the injuries to Chad and more importantly Riddell I'm not going to crucify Hagan for picking Finch again however, if once Riddell is back and the form of Finmch and Green stays the same as it is now, yet it's Green who makes way for Riddell m,y tone will definatly change.

also if Finch didn't make so many errors in attack he wouldn't need to be solid in defense because the other team wouldn't get the ball back after Finch created an error. So really if Finch screws up inb attack I expect him to make up for it in defence rather then praising him for doing something special in defense he is simply making up for his screwup with the ball.

Flatch, I take on board what you say however your tone was pretty severe a few weeks back when the likes of Ian Hinmdmarsh, Burt and Tim Smith were continuelly named in the side so that wouldn't surprise me.

I've said on several occasions that I'd prefer Blake ahead of Finchy however I took exception to the fact that Finch appeared to be the only person who played sh*t that night when it was obvious that Guru also did some really dumb things and put us under preasure, Feleti as he has been doing for a few weeks gave a couple of penalties.

Under the fire he copped this week for his performance I wanted to also bring to light a couple of important things he did, in 3rd minute enrith attacking 40 metres out and Guru shoots out and tries to put Wallace in Napeaon hospital but inturn turned it into a very dangerous situation for us with Jennings making a break down the left side before he was mowed down by Finch, now it was a tackle that had to made at the time and stopped a dangerous situation, it obviously stuck in my mind for a while because this is the third time I mentionerd it, then a learnt today from DK today while exchanging e-mails that Finch was sent out by Hagan to stop Puletua offloading to any of his outside men, as far as I'm aware he did it that and did it well but for some reason it appears that Finch is being blamed for just about everything that happened on against us and all I'm merely doing is balancing things up a little bit which is something I've been defending all afternoon.