What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco rumour

Vinnie

Juniors
If the reason Tedesco won't re-sign (yet) with the Tigers is that he doesn't know who the coach is, then you'd have to assume it's highly unlikely he'd consider signing with the Dragons.

He and everyone knows Cleary is the coach so i'm thinking that's not the reason

Capital

Juniors
It really doesn't matter a great deal IMO. Duges isn't as good a fullback as Tedesco but he is still very good and wants to stay. I appreciate possm's dreaming but I don't think there is any way in the world we can get both. I doubt it's even a good idea. Too much salary cap invested in too few players. If Duges were going to play 5/8 or hooker it may be worth it but not a good idea to spend so much on a centre.

possm

Coach
It really doesn't matter a great deal IMO. Duges isn't as good a fullback as Tedesco but he is still very good and wants to stay. I appreciate possm's dreaming but I don't think there is any way in the world we can get both. I doubt it's even a good idea. Too much salary cap invested in too few players. If Duges were going to play 5/8 or hooker it may be worth it but not a good idea to spend so much on a centre.
I agree with you on spending 1m on a centre however, I'd the offer to Dugan from the Dragons is about 800k and to date he has no formal offers other than that from the Dragons.

Our spine of Tedesco, Mann or Field, Hunt and McInnes is well balanced with two marquee players in Tedesco and Hunt and two value buys in Mann/Field and McInnes.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree with you on spending 1m on a centre however, I'd the offer to Dugan from the Dragons is about 800k and to date he has no formal offers other than that from the Dragons.

Our spine of Tedesco, Mann or Field, Hunt and McInnes is well balanced with two marquee players in Tedesco and Hunt and two value buys in Mann/Field and McInnes.

I really don't think Tedesco is on our radar TBH. Yes Millward spoke about it yesterday but it was more of a token comment rather than a firm commitment to chase him, plus he added he was "sure" he would stay with the Tigers.
Dufty is out of favour for whatever reason and I think you'll find that young Herbert would be the next option to promote to first grade as a wing spot. Also, on current form, Lafai is doing good work and there is no reason to replace him ATM and Milne certainly hasn't set the NSW Cup on fire, in fact Herbert has out performed him statistically.
I agree with you though on the coaching situation. This needs to be sorted sooner rather than later. If McGregor is to be re-signed then so be it but at least let us all know. If there's another coach signed or being courted then it should be obviously kept under wraps, particularly if their currently coaching ATM, it would be very unprofessional to announce a new coach from another club now. That would be more appropriate towards the end of the season rather than now.
Don't forget also that the increased salary cap must include 30 players and speculated at between 9 and $10m so that's around $330k per player (based on $10m), then you have to factor in who we have already signed like Hunt, Friz, Vaughan etc and those we need to re-sign like Packer for one.

possm

Coach
Didn't Bennett announce early in 2011 that he was not continuing at the Dragons in 2012.

Crush

Coach
I really don't think Tedesco is on our radar TBH. Yes Millward spoke about it yesterday but it was more of a token comment rather than a firm commitment to chase him, plus he added he was "sure" he would stay with the Tigers.
Dufty is out of favour for whatever reason and I think you'll find that young Herbert would be the next option to promote to first grade as a wing spot. Also, on current form, Lafai is doing good work and there is no reason to replace him ATM and Milne certainly hasn't set the NSW Cup on fire, in fact Herbert has out performed him statistically.
I agree with you though on the coaching situation. This needs to be sorted sooner rather than later. If McGregor is to be re-signed then so be it but at least let us all know. If there's another coach signed or being courted then it should be obviously kept under wraps, particularly if their currently coaching ATM, it would be very unprofessional to announce a new coach from another club now. That would be more appropriate towards the end of the season rather than now.
Don't forget also that the increased salary cap must include 30 players and speculated at between 9 and $10m so that's around $330k per player (based on $10m), then you have to factor in who we have already signed like Hunt, Friz, Vaughan etc and those we need to re-sign like Packer for one.
Hey Dragonslayer,
Have you seen a bit of the reserves this year? I was interested to see you say Milne hasn't been setting the world on fire in NSW Cup. I wonder about his consistency.
Also, how has Dufty been going in reserves?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hey Dragonslayer,
Have you seen a bit of the reserves this year? I was interested to see you say Milne hasn't been setting the world on fire in NSW Cup. I wonder about his consistency.

Haven't seen much TBH, but I like to watch the highlights from NSWRL site and take a look at the stats for each game that they provide. Also listen to Steele sports whenever I can.

As far as I can see, Dufty isn't NRL ready and will need a full year in reserves to make or break so to speak. Yeah he has speed which was great in U20's but the more structured format of the upper grades are finding him out. His defense is also a work in progress, again a huge leap from U20's.
Milne's name is hardly mentioned in broadcasts, so either he's not getting involved or the ball isn't getting out to him. Don't know if he's carrying a niggling injury or is deflated at not getting the first grade gig. The point of attack seems to be steered towards Herbert's side. I think the interesting point is that he always gets named in the 21 Team list, which says that he is in the mind of selectors (as is Sele and Leilua)
I posted the stats for them both on the Illawarra RL thread its interesting reading actually.

slippery5

Juniors
Wasting any part of our cap on ( as quoted in other comments ) the worst player to have the C beside his name. Just my opinion, but I've watched him closely for 3 yrs & I don't believe he personally is doing "that much better " to think he is all of a sudden a Marquee player that will blend well with Hunt. I do hear he is a nice bloke though.

Life's Good

Coach
Wasting any part of our cap on ( as quoted in other comments ) the worst player to have the C beside his name. Just my opinion, but I've watched him closely for 3 yrs & I don't believe he personally is doing "that much better " to think he is all of a sudden a Marquee player that will blend well with Hunt. I do hear he is a nice bloke though.
Ok. You were referring to Widdop. Who would you have at 5/8?? BTW I don't have an answer on that one.

slippery5

Juniors
Ok. You were referring to Widdop. Who would you have at 5/8?? BTW I don't have an answer on that one.
I'm not sure I do either, without given maybe Field some game time somewhere in the halves to see where he could be at next year as a running 5/8 not unlike Milford / Hunt but unfortunately Widdop's time has expired. Late Mail: Just thinking apart from any of our juniors, possibly Moses at the right price could take his game to a new level with a lot of years ahead of him.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Hey Dragonslayer,

Crush, I watched the first 3 NSW Cup games. In those matches Levi Dodd was the centre who caught my eye not Milne. That is not to say Milne played poorly, just didn't shine as you would expect a first-grader to do. Sadly now Dodd is out for the season. He really is qute an elusive runner.

Dufty played competently in those 3 games but only produced one of his electrifying runs. Field in his one half of footy in the NSW Cup produced a brilliant individual try from his own goal-line but was hardly seen for the rest of the 40 minutes.

Crush

Coach
Crush, I watched the first 3 NSW Cup games. In those matches Levi Dodd was the centre who caught my eye not Milne. That is not to say Milne played poorly, just didn't shine as you would expect a first-grader to do. Sadly now Dodd is out for the season. He really is qute an elusive runner.

Dufty played competently in those 3 games but only produced one of his electrifying runs. Field in his one half of footy in the NSW Cup produced a brilliant individual try from his own goal-line but was hardly seen for the res
Thanks Steve, Milne might not be the player some of us hoped he would be. Early days though, I hope that Milne, Dufty and Field kill it in reserves and force their way through to the 1sts

Bench
We already have Hunt on $1 million, if Tedesco would sign that's another $1 million.
That's a big chunk of change and could limit on any other player we wanted to sign, plus maybe not enough left in the kitty to sign up our young guns.
I would say sign up Dugan. He is proven at fullback.

Capital

Juniors
How did you get away with that comment without anyone freaking out and claiming you are not you but me? Of course you are right. So far this year Widdop has played one good game (but not especially so compared to other team members), one crap game (but the whole team other than perhaps DeBellin, Vaughan and Duges was very poor) one crap game where it was business as usual and was the weakest link in attack and defense and last week where he was average at best. This being so, his form has improved a lot but in any club with a winning culture, supporters would still be demanding he be dropped.

Latest posts