What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco

BrotherJim05

Bench
Raiders are complete spastics if they offer $600k a season to a 21 year old who has played less than 20 NRL games and is injury prone.
$300k a season for two seasons is a good deal. If he develops into the player we are all hoping he becomes then by all means throw $600k at him

Irvine

Juniors
Raiders are complete spastics if they offer $600k a season to a 21 year old who has played less than 20 NRL games and is injury prone.
$300k a season for two seasons is a good deal. If he develops into the player we are all hoping he becomes then by all means throw $600k at him

I don't think Ricky Stuart would be happy you calling him those names...His a very powerful man. Don't worry we have Kurtis Rowe.

Tiger05

First Grade

macnaz

Staff member
Also Mayer would not be the sole decision maker on this matter , coaches and board members would also be included im sure .So trying to Blame Mayer if we are not successful is just bs.

broncos2010

Juniors
Just got this from a forum, not sure if true or not but if it is bad luck, looks like money talks over loyalty.

@Erin_Molan: Big week for the Raiders - James Tedesco locked in for 3 years starting 2015 - he just told team mates. Huge coup for Canberra

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Hmmm, I don't really agree with this.

I actually think fullback has more depth than any position in the NRL.

For instance:
Stewart
Dugan
Hayne
Slater
Inglis
Hiku
Tuivasa-Sheck
Gordon
Locke
Barba (Admittedly horribly out of form)
Milford
Hoffman (could play fullback)
Tomkins
Tedesco

Are all class players. Name one other position with that much depth.

Penrith have Moylan who is a star of the future. Dogs have Perrett who is average, Cowboys have Morgan who is average, and Titans have Zillman who is very average.

With than in mind spending huge money on everything except the very, very anything except the top drawer fullback is madness. And by top drawer I mean Slater, Inglis, and Hayne. The modern game is built on second man plays. It gives fullbacks a lot of space and makes them look like superstars. Sure we need a good fullback, and certainly someone better than what Rowe has shown us - though he's certainly improved in certain weeks.

Let's just remember Tedesco didn't look amazing when we were very ordinary last year. For all we know if you slotted someone like Hoffman in for us this year he'd be going as well as Tedesco has.

You make a point, however given the club can't even afford to offer a potential superstar like Tedesco over $320K a season, so good luck attracting anyone better than Kurtis Rowe.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I guess the question is now do we bother to bring him back into first grade or continue with Rowe. To be honest I am not really a fan of Rowe but he seems to be improving with each game so I would be happy to leave him in first grade to see what he can do.

Teddy does not have the runs on the board for us to continue his development for the raiders.

TimmyB

Juniors
Tedesco gone. F*ck him, I hope he does his f*cking knee again and his career ends. And yes I am f*cking bitter!!

This is kind of how I feel. I know it's wrong, but it's how I feel. Probably fair to say part of me will feel a little smug. It'll probably be win-win for Tigers' fans and Tedesco tbh. He's vindicated in taking the money and we don't feel so bad about letting him go.

I suppose the one thing I can say is I'm glad it's Canberra and not the Dogs or the Roosters. They've been f***ed over by a lot of other clubs and have been unfortunate to lose Carney, Ferguson, Dugan, and Milford. If anyone is going to steal a talented young gun probably better to have a club who has had their own fair share of youth snaffled off them.

It's also fair to say we've managed to hang onto to a lot of our talented young guns in Sironen, Simona, Brooks, Moses, Woods, and Sue. We've still inarguably got the best crop of youngsters going around.

TimmyB

Juniors
You make a point, however given the club can't even afford to offer a potential superstar like Tedesco over $320K a season, so good luck attracting anyone better than Kurtis Rowe.
Let's be fair, nobody knows exactly what we are offering Tedesco. These figures are all pie in the sky nonsense and shit talk. They always are.

FootynRacing

Juniors
Rowe will never be better than Tedesco but i still feel we might as well look towards the future with combinations etc and therefore if Rowe is considered out next best I'd be playing him over Tedesco for the rest of this season

BrotherJim05

Bench
No need to be bitter, football is a business he is only looking after himself and his family 500k and 800k a year is a big difference.

At the very start of my career, after 10 months of solid work I was poached for a role with almost double the salary by a big big corporation. Within 3 months I was pretty much told to leave as I was definitely not ready for the role.

Moral of the story - when you're young, making decisions based on money is very very risky. He could have stayed and developed his game under the leadership of the NSW Vice Captain and with young Brooks.
After 3-4 years he would be in the peak of his physical frame and commanded any salary he desires.

I will always have love for Tedesco but he made the wrong decision.

ek999

First Grade
At the very start of my career, after 10 months of solid work I was poached for a role with almost double the salary by a big big corporation. Within 3 months I was pretty much told to leave as I was definitely not ready for the role.

Moral of the story - when you're young, making decisions based on money is very very risky. He could have stayed and developed his game under the leadership of the NSW Vice Captain and with young Brooks.
After 3-4 years he would be in the peak of his physical frame and commanded any salary he desires.

I will always have love for Tedesco but he made the wrong decision.

Difference being, Tedesco is signed to a 3 year multi-million dollar contract that will have to be paid out if the Raiders want to terminate his contract early. Footballers have a seriously limited career term that could end in a moment from a freak accident, just ask Yow Yeh or McKinnon. I could never begrudge a player taking the best offer available