What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TEST MATCH AU v NZ *Live scores & discussion*

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Jeremy Smith should've been in the team. He is not a flashy player, but a very good talker and organiser. Faiumu at dummy-half for 80 and the problem is half solved. Roberts and Marshall are too similar players for mine.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
We don't have any hookers:(

isn't that where Daisy the Sheep comes into the side??

also on you're player ratings pretty much agree but I think you seriously under rated Fa'alogo was close to the Kiwis best in the match even with his couple of errors.

Inu had a great game considering he has only played 1 1st grade game and he was playing out of position as Inu is 100x better in the centres then he is at fullback.

Hurriflatch

Referee
also SBW needs to learn how to hold to ball before I'd pick him again. He bombed at least 2 possible NZ tries one of them was definatly a try if Williams held onto it and at least 1 or 2 Williams drops saw the Aussies score at the end of the set.

Roberts shouldn't be allowed near a NZ test jersey, Jeremy Smith MUST be picked ahead of him next time. I just hope Roberts backs up on Sunday if he does Parra by 60

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I was going to say that he won't be at Parra much longer (Burt won't be moved), but if that is the case than they have a pretty solid replacement for Tahu.

Nathan B

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
also SBW needs to learn how to hold to ball before I'd pick him again. He bombed at least 2 possible NZ tries one of them was definatly a try if Williams held onto it and at least 1 or 2 Williams drops saw the Aussies score at the end of the set.

Roberts shouldn't be allowed near a NZ test jersey, Jeremy Smith MUST be picked ahead of him next time. I just hope Roberts backs up on Sunday if he does Parra by 60

I wouldn't pick Sonny in the centres again, either.

Pick him, and play him, where he's supposed to play.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
dazza62 said:
How would we know how players would go...they don't get the chance.

Ummm why are the players chosen? To give them a hell of a beating?? to beat them by 50??

They are chosen to beat the opponents. They did that by a good scoreline which never was threatened. End of story.

Balmain_Boy

I would have given it to Lockyer, Thurston, Bailey and Hodges ahead of Hunt.

I was probably a bit strong with no way in hell though. Hunt was pretty damn good and I certainly don't begrudge him the award. How he gets hit like that and gets up every time I have no idea.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
5 debutants (including Roberts because I don't count that farce of a test over in England last year). No Wiki, Webb, Stacey, Kidwell, Vagana. It was a pretty tough ask from the start. I said last year that the Kiwi's need 3-4 years before they should expect to consistently challenge and beat Australia. When the likes of Roberts, Asotasi, Benji, SBW, Mannering etc are in their mid twenties with a fresh batch of young Kiwis coming through then there's every reason to believe the Kiwis can challenge every match.

On paper there's no comparison. Every Australian player is close to an automatic selection in their clubs starting 13. The Kiwis have Inu, Roberts, Halatau, Rapira etc who are either bench players or haven't even cemented their first grade spot. Once NZ have experienced players in key positions they'll be a tougher team to beat. It'd help if NZ had a chance to get together more often. It might not be much, but there has to be some extra benefit to Thurston, Lockyer, Hunt, Smith etc combining in SOO as well as tests.

I still think Australia are playing with fire when it comes to selections though. How hard is it to play well when you've got Thurston, Lockyer and Smith controlling the rucks off the back of guys like Bailey, Mason and Hindmarsh? It's hard to imagine what sort of a shocker a player would need to have to be dropped. It could come back to haunt them in future.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
kiwis have so much potential form that performance... i think the NZ selectors should bite the bullet with Marshall... i mean if hes not in form, stick him on the bench with J Smith in there maybe...

Inu, Vatuvei, Mannering, Roberts, Faiumu, Faalogo and Asotasi had excellent games, the rest bombed great opportunities, but IMO if this kiwi team was given time to Gel, Pritchard could be well on the moeny with his prediction.

nqboy

First Grade
S.S.T.I.D said:
I'd love to know when was the last time JT made the wrong decision to pass, kick or who to pass to on the footy field.
Watch us play mate. He hogs the ball every week when he has teammates in better positions. If he wasn't so damn good, there'd be an outcry.

badav

Bench
Balmain_Boy said:
I would have given it to Lockyer, Thurston, Bailey and Hodges ahead of Hunt.

I was probably a bit strong with no way in hell though. Hunt was pretty damn good and I certainly don't begrudge him the award. How he gets hit like that and gets up every time I have no idea.

Hunt is one tough bugger and is a class player. Great to hear that he went well despite all the criticism during the week. Now i hope he can step up his club form just that little bit

Murphdogg1

Juniors
I thought it was a really positive performance from a young kiwi side.

The inexperience in the side showed in the red zone where the young halves found it hard to create much. Not enough runners for Benji all game.

I dont know why everyone is ripping into Ben Roberts so much - at least he has a huge boot! he can kick it about 100x as far as Leuluai and hes only had a handful of FG games, give him time hes got potential.

Inu looks class - love his size, real asset to have a fullback that big, has a bit of x factor about him.

Really could have used Hape on the wing tonight, Webster was dissapointing.

Really loved SBWs hustle all game - he is a special player, the more he plays with the Kiwis the better impact he will have as they understand how best to use him, and how to play with him.

Mannering really showed why he is a considered a centre tonight - great stuff

Didnt think the score reflected the match and some great signs in that game tonight

I expect a very competative game in Wellington later on this year.

aussies1st

Staff member
Good performance the by the Roos, looked really slick.
Kiwis as expected faltered with the experience especially in the halves. Still need a few more years before a Benji/Roberts halve will guide the team around the field.

Iafeta

Referee
Andrew Johns talked about it in the second half about the Kiwi halves; when you're ball playing at your best, you tend to be playing square to the line and attracting the defence in before picking a runner. Johns was talking about Marshall playing very laterally, and I think he has a fair point. I think it probably comes from Marshall's touch experience, if you've got that nip and deceptive footwork it can work in touch well.

Positives for the Kiwis - Inu, very strong performance. Perhaps he could develop as the Kiwis #1, and here's an idea, Webb into hooker? Anytime he got in there for the Warriors he was fairly dangerous, just an idea to try and fit both into the team. I agree with Thierry, the most disappointing Kiwi on show was Tony Puletua. I barely noticed him playing. He's got a reputation of being a big, rumbling athlete who rolls over opponents, but he hasn't really ever done that at international level. I think one of the weaknesses for the Kiwis wasn't always the kicking game, but the chase, it was fairly ordinary and often cutie would travel across field, wait to find a lazy chaser and exploit the gap. The Australians already had good momentum in their set after the first tackle. There were some quite good kicks I thought from Roberts in particular, he certainly has a hoof on him. Needs better chasing though.
For mine, Halatau isn't an international hooker, and lacks the size to be a good international backrower. It's a pity Tevita Latu had that incident because his zip out of dummy half was always useful to get go forward when defences were tiring.

Shorty

Staff member
Mr Saab said:
Hunt named MOM..

Hey Dazza62...you didnt push those needles in hard enough into your K Hunt Voodoo doll!
Hunt deserved it though,even I can admit that.

Those Kiwi's never stop targeting him and making comments,he just puts his head down and ignores it,quite a mature thing to do.

Tate,well let's see scored a try yes...but SECONDS after that he dropped the ball...and not the first time in the game either:roll:

He does lift with rep level though.