What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THANK YOU

DIEHARD

----
Grantwhy said:
What i find curious is that the ARL stopped fighting as soon as Packer got what he wanted :|.

The ARL just had no cash left man and this ultimate betrayal floored them. One of the main reasons they were fighting just went up in smoke.

I wish the ARL held out longer. This 50/50 NEWS LTD / ARL split is a curse on our game.

ARL votes for expansion, News Ltd veto it.

Would we have ever considered selling our rights to C7 when it would mean screwing over News Ltd, our 50% owner.

I bet Telstra get a cheap deal as sponsors. Given the fact they are 50% owners of Foxtel.

The axis of evil also makes me wonder if News Ltd will ever let us escape Ch 9's tyranny. Will they do their Foxtel buddy a deal?

rugged

Juniors
Revamp or perish: Ribot
December 12, 2004

FORMER Melbourne Storm executive director John Ribot has called for rugby league's "top-heavy" administration to be slashed, with a single entity to run the game.

Ribot believes an American football-style administration, with a commissioner to rule over the game, is inevitable in Australia to eliminate duplication of duties and personnel.

"We don't need an ARL, we don't need an NRL and a NSWRL and everyone fighting each other," Ribot said. "It just defies logic.

"There's got to be a merger, bring it all together. It doesn't matter what you call it. Call it what you want, but lay down the swords.

"We should be more conciliatory, look at the big picture and ask how we get there and let's get on with the game.

"If you look at all the major professional games in the world, no code would tolerate what we tolerate. We still have vice-presidents and all this sort of stuff that went out 40 or 50 years ago."

Ribot said those people should be acknowledged for the great things they had done for the game but should not be decision-makers in the game.

"In outfits like the NSWRL, because you've endured over time in our game you get made a vice-president and given a vote in how our game should be run. Our game should be cutting-edge stuff; it should be about the best of the best."

Ribot, who was a consultant to the Queensland Lions in their successful bid to join the new A-League, points to soccer's revolution as a blueprint for league.

"Why do you pay someone like John O'Neill what he's getting paid? Because he's cutting edge," Ribot said. "Look at what he did with the (rugby) World Cup.

"The government told soccer that because it was such a world game they would give it assistance, but only if it got its act together in the front office.

"We've just got to get the best people running our game; it doesn't matter where they come from. We haven't got our act together. There's just too much duplication. Look at the (American) NFL. They appoint a commissioner and he gets resolution on issues and if he doesn't run it the right way he gets the sack. He runs it and it just works.

Ribot said the code's historical reliance on leagues clubs had created an administrative quagmire.

"The biggest problem is that we have always had a false economy based on gaming, so we have never had to focus on driving our business based purely on the sport," he said.

"We've always had another form of revenue and I don't think that's been good for our game. We haven't had people focusing on the business model of running a rugby league team, running a rugby league competition and running rugby league as such.

"We've always had this other thing on the side and it has blinkered our thoughts on where we should be going. We're just too top-heavy."

I don't care one way or another about Ribot but it makes sense about streamlining the administration and cutting down the reliance on the leagues clubs and running the league like a proper business.

DIEHARD

----
Yea but what he is saying is something every already knows.

But the point is valid none the less..

So what will happen? Will News Ltd just piss off and let the ARL run things?

Oh and don't read much into Ribot he has made a career pretending he knows what he is talking about using words like "cutting edge" "business sense" and....."vision". :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Kaz said:
Cut the cr@p about people dying, or this thread will be deleted.

I have deleted those posts.

God I am fishing well today.

Got a beauty.

Hook, Line & Sinker.

Here Fishy.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
I'm looking but can't find any figure so far. He does say at one stage.

ARKO said:
Without Winfield's generosity and support, such financing would effectively come out of the clubs funds. With the exception of North Sydney, clubs share annually in $1.2 million of Winfield investment in ground signs.

So that is $1.2 million per annum for ground signage alone. But I believe whatever the amount is, it would be undervalued and the ARL knew their value esspecially now that their game was truely national.

Here is a question for Cliffy GC. You are a passionate traditional fan, but where would you stand if Manly did some how defect just like Canterbury did. Would you support the club or support your morals. This is the situation I was placed in during the Super League war.

Sadly it has ruined a lot of the fun for me but it made me appreciate other clubs more. I'm less one eyed and more a lover of rugby league as a whole.
you may be disapointed here diehard but i would probably reluctantly go with my club because my love for the seaeagles is so strong.
In hindsight seeing clubs like the sharks, penrith and canberra who were all in a weaker position than us in 1995 prospering now and not dealing with some of the stuff manly has in the last 4 years i often wonder how much did a loyalty really hurt us.

Manly did the honourable thing during SL weather it was the right thing for our survival only time will tell.

DIEHARD

----
In life doing the right thing doesn't always bring with it rewards. I don't believe in karma. I believe it is up to people to balance the slate. So I will always respect Manly and other clubs for their loyalty.

I choose morals over the Broncos. I went from #1 fan to being mildly interested. But I'm a rugby league fan, I still go to all their games. And I follow them. I try to think of the players I love and Bennett and not Porky Morgan, Ribot, News, Super League, ANZ Stadium and all the greed and backstabbing.

I can't set my heart on a team with no soul. :?

DIEHARD

----
Just imagine what would have happened to Cronulla if they didn't sell out.

Culled, merged, relocated. Existance wouldn't have been an option. :lol:

nqboy

First Grade
I wish someone could design an insult filter. Took me ages to read all this, when I was only interested in the arguments.

Diehard,
How do you guys quote from Arko's book? Did you type it all out or what?

Stagger eel

Staff member
just as a side note to all this and a little bit of trivia,

at the end of 1996 both Parra and St George were courted by SL to join their competion in the 11th hour.

Both clubs held an extraudinary general meeting to discuss whether they'd jump ship or not, St George decided stay while Parramatta's board were split at 4 a piece with the ultimate decision going with the chairman at the time.

He decided to stay loyal to the ARL!!....guess who the decision maker was at the time? 8)

Mr D Fitzgerald. :D

RifRaf

Juniors
Excuse me if this has been discussed before I read up about the second page then just cut to the chase..
Who was the first clubs/players to be courted by SL?
I'm pretty sure it was the Raiders. I seem to remeber SL's first attempt to get it going with and they announced they had the big three from Canberra Daley, Clyde and Stuart... Heaps Hughes did an interview with them on Seven... That attempt failed then six or so months later they got it off the ground...

spacemanspiff

Juniors
ARKO Wrote:

We had opened our records and financial statements to News Ltd. And we had opened our hearts - telling them what our plans were, our hopes for the game. They were privy to just about everything it was possible to know about rugby league in 1994.

What an astute move from Arko and the ARL. Regardless of whether they had an inkling of what was coming or not - no sporting body in their right mind would lay themselvers bare to any potential sponsor.

Naive.

Rexxy

Coach
eelavation. It was a board meeting not a members meeting at both clubs and one waited for the other. Wasnt it Overton who held out at Parraq? And while Parra got a visit by Lachlan M, Saints were pissed off they only got a visit from Stephen Loosely and Mick Oconnor. Saints were going but Lockwood held out. He was made head of the ARL the following year.

Wasnt Cronulla one of the first as Gow met Murdoch in NYC and was given the Italian Franchise for SL.

The Fijian Franchise for SL went to??????? anyone?

RifRaf

Juniors
I know to this day in Tonga there are Super League signs about the place... The Tongan Super League office still has the sign up out the front... It looks very funny amongst the fruit stalls etc..

Raiders Plight

Juniors
RifRaf said:
Excuse me if this has been discussed before I read up about the second page then just cut to the chase..
Who was the first clubs/players to be courted by SL?
I'm pretty sure it was the Raiders. I seem to remeber SL's first attempt to get it going with and they announced they had the big three from Canberra Daley, Clyde and Stuart... Heaps Hughes did an interview with them on Seven... That attempt failed then six or so months later they got it off the ground...

All i know is the roosters tried to by off Stuart and Clyde with astronomical contracts. I don't know how the Roosters expected to stay under the salary cap with what i heard they were going to pay them. Stuart and Clyde probably ended up getting less staying with the raiders.