What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THANK YOU

greeneyed

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
It's Daley and Clyde's conclusion. :roll:

How much does it take to get through your head? You have mis-read the book. Nowhere does it say that figure relates to 1990. And it doesn't matter what is in the book. The facts that emeged from it all at the end of the day back what I have said. It is well known, except amongst those people who don't want to know the facts.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Red and Blue Knight said:
Cliffy Pm willow. He will deal with this.

He said doesn't bother him, if there is nothing to be ashamed of ect as he says, he'll say those magic words, I GIVE PERMISSION, but he wont, because he was a tool that night, like he usually is.
hahahahah kiwi all this proves is that u have nothing, i was a bit to close to the bone for your liking so u decided to threaten me about posting a private convo, you got all sad and frustrated and posted it and all it has achieved is giving me a good laugh reading how much i carved you when i was drunk and it has let other people see how much i carved u.

you did break the rules of this forum though, im not going to pm willow or legend their too busy to be annoyed by something like this however if a mod does see this i never gave u permission to post it.

Balmain_Boy

Kiwi said:
Harold Bishop said:
Manly didnt get the spoon kiwi...

That was directly after the 60+ point hiding when Manly were front runners.

But they didn't, so you're the idiot.

Just for you own info, you've just tarnished your own reputation with that pathetic act.

Raider_69

Post Whore
greeneyed has it spot on.
in 1990 we were over by a figure im lead to believe was no larger than 20k, the half mil figure believed by most here was the POTENTIAL breach had the raiders players and management not corrected the problems. they did hence it never eventuated into any breach on 91

Kiwi

First Grade
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Red and Blue Knight said:
Cliffy Pm willow. He will deal with this.

He said doesn't bother him, if there is nothing to be ashamed of ect as he says, he'll say those magic words, I GIVE PERMISSION, but he wont, because he was a tool that night, like he usually is.
hahahahah kiwi all this proves is that u have nothing, i was a bit to close to the bone for your liking so u decided to threaten me about posting a private convo, you got all sad and frustrated and posted it and all it has achieved is giving me a good laugh reading how much i carved you when i was drunk and it has let other people see how much i carved u.

you did break the rules of this forum though, im not going to pm willow or legend their too busy to be annoyed by something like this however if a mod does see this i never gave u permission to post it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just like your team carved that day, I bet they think they were awesome that day aswell.

RABK

Referee
Balmain boy will you be getting your mod status back? It's a shame you don't have it now. ;-)

Kiwi

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
Kiwi said:
Harold Bishop said:
Manly didnt get the spoon kiwi...

That was directly after the 60+ point hiding when Manly were front runners.

But they didn't, so you're the idiot.

Just for you own info, you've just tarnished your own reputation with that pathetic act.

I don't really care what it did or didn't do for me.

So if you predict someone is gonna get the spoon and they don't your an idiot? there are a tonne of idiots on these forums, cause I wasn't the only one tipping manly at that point.

Balmain_Boy

Don't think so mate, I stood down after this place got hacked and I was deleted. Didn't think there was much point - I wasn't doing as much as I should have as a mod.

It would be nice to give Willow a tip off - in all honesty a pretty poor effort by Kiwi here. Baiting is one thing, but this thread has definately crossed the line.

Kaz

junior
This is being locked until I find out what is going on.

Thread is now unlocked.

I have delete what was posted & I will be talking to admin about it.

Don't post personal chats, email, PM's etc.

DIEHARD

----
I still don't see any awful crimes committed by the ARL on the Raiders. I mean they were nice enough to only fine you and even gave you a loan to help you drag your arse out of millions of dollars of debt.

All of this talk about ARL tyranny is just News Ltd propaganda.

ARKO said:
Television's big potatoes deal which locked us in with the Channel 9 network for seven years, came ten months later. The choice, really, was no choice. Channel Ten who had held the rights to cover the game ($42 million for three years) had fallen flat on their faces, reneging on the deal. In reality, Kerry Packer's Channel 9 was the only game in town. The newspapers guessed $70 million and they were close enough to the mark. There was a period of great controversy over Nine's truncated Sunday night replay, via which viwers received only 42 minutes out of 80, the match squeezed into a television "hour" between 6:30pm and 7:30pm. It was an issue that would never die - with Nine refusing to relent and critics never letting the matter drop.

Yes, we took something of a pasting over the deal, with the Broncos prominent in that, We were asked again and again why we had signed for such a long period - seven years. Well, the truth of it was that Nine and Packer in particular, wanted us to sign a ten year contract. Our preference was for three years.

With no other bidder we had no real bargaining power and finally we met at seven. (years) When we had signed the previous contract with Ten, all three commerical channels were in the market, putting us in the box seat. Now Ten were out of business, unable to pay us the agreed money and Seven were in liquidation. The climate was vastly different. That's what backdropped the arrangement we finally reached with Nine. It was one about which I had some personal reservations - the reduced Sunday night match coverage particularly. I never really liked that.

Nine produced figures which indicated the game was producing better ratings at 42 minutes than it had when they showed it full match. But I got the message pretty clearly from many many people: if they were going to watch a game of football, they preferred to watch the whole game.

The forces that were to toss us like a tiny boat in a stormy sea were now in place, unbeknownst to us. In bried, they could be identified this way:

- The success we had had. We were to be victims of our own achievements, when greedy eyes turned on to us in 1994.

- The bold decision to expand: to make rugby league, for the first time in its like, a truely national sport.

- The Channel 9 deal, locking us in uncomplainingly and with an Optus pay TV rider later added. This allowed us no room for flexibility when the News Ltd approach came to us through the front door in early 1995. As people with a traditional belief in honouring the agreement we made, we were pretty much in Kerry Packer's hands. Any decision to do with News Ltd/Super League virtually had to be his.

- The arrival of the Broncos into the competition in 1998, bringing new elements of unease, discontent, secret corporate ambitions and ultimately wicked treachery.

Back to the point.

Arko is a bloody legend!!!

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
I still don't see any awful crimes committed by the ARL on the Raiders. I mean they were nice enough to only fine you and even gave you a loan to help you drag your arse out of millions of dollars of debt.

ARKO said:
Television's big potatoes deal which locked us in with the Channel 9 network for seven years, came ten months later. The choice, really, was no choice. Channel Ten who had held the rights to cover the game ($42 million for three years) had fallen flat on their faces, reneging on the deal. In reality, Kerry Packer's Channel 9 was the only game in town. The newspapers guessed $70 million and they were close enough to the mark. There was a period of great controversy over Nine's truncated Sunday night replay, via which viwers received only 42 minutes out of 80, the match squeezed into a television "hour" between 6:30pm and 7:30pm. It was an issue that would never die - with Nine refusing to relent and critics never letting the matter drop.

Yes, we took something of a pasting over the deal, with the Broncos prominent in that, We were asked again and again why we had signed for such a long period - seven years. Well, the truth of it was that Nine and Packer in particular, wanted us to sign a ten year contract. Our preference was for three years.

With no other bidder we had no real bargaining power and finally we met at seven. (years) When we had signed the previous contract with Ten, all three commerical channels were in the market, putting us in the box seat. Now Ten were out of business, unable to pay us the agreed money and Seven were in liquidation. The climate was vastly different. That's what backdropped the arrangement we finally reached with Nine. It was one about which I had some personal reservations - the reduced Sunday night match coverage particularly. I never really liked that.

Nine produced figures which indicated the game was producing better ratings at 42 minutes than it had when they showed it full match. But I got the message pretty clearly from many many people: if they were going to watch a game of football, they preferred to watch the whole game.

The forces that were to toss us like a tiny boat in a stormy sea were now in place, unbeknownst to us. In bried, they could be identified this way:

- The success we had had. We were to be victims of our own achievements, when greedy eyes turned on to us in 1994.

- The bold decision to expand: to make rugby league, for the first time in its like, a truely national sport.

- The Channel 9 deal, locking us in uncomplainingly and with an Optus pay TV rider later added. This allowed us no room for flexibility when the News Ltd approach came to us through the front door in early 1995. As people with a traditional belief in honouring the agreement we made, we were pretty much in Kerry Packer's hands. Any decision to do with News Ltd/Super League virtually had to be his.

- The arrival of the Broncos into the competition in 1988, bringing new elements of unease, discontent, secret corporate ambitions and ultimately wicked treachery.

Back to the point.

the bold part says it all

Rexxy

Coach
DIEHARD said:

ARKO said:

- The arrival of the Broncos into the competition in 1998, bringing new elements of unease, discontent, secret corporate ambitions and ultimately wicked treachery.

Back to the point.

Arko is an old merkin.

Arko and Quayle just looked after themselves and their teams.

Saints supporters should remember it was Arko who got spineless ninny Geoff Carr to agree to a merger with the Roosters. Arko also stupidly knocked New Ltds offer to sponsors the ARL after the forced withdrawal of Winfield. When he said the sponsorship money amount was $60 million, Cowley said We Can Buy It For That.

But he couldn't.

History will show that News behaved like monkeys at a salad bar, but there was never need for a war. Arko and Quayle, being the pious high Priests of self interest could have given them what they wanted/needed.

A sponsorship vehicle for their Airline, Newspapers and Travel Agent. As well as content required to drive Pay TV Subs.

I was all for Superleague when it happened, but I am glad my club stayed loyal. I was wrong.

Seven years on the game is getting back on its feet with a third year of crowd growth. But the dead are many.

DIEHARD

----
Rex said:
Arko also stupidly knocked New Ltds offer to sponsors the ARL after the forced withdrawal of Winfield. When he said the sponsorship money amount was $60 million, Cowley said We Can Buy It For That.

But he couldn't.

History will show that News behaved like monkeys at a salad bar, but there was never need for a war. Arko and Quayle, being the pious high Priests of self interest could have given them what they wanted/needed.

A sponsorship vehicle for their Airline, Newspapers and Travel Agent. As well as content required to drive Pay TV Subs.

I was all for Superleague when it happened, but I am glad my club stayed loyal. I was wrong.

Seven years on the game is getting back on its feet with a third year of crowd growth. But the dead are many.

Shoes off... chairs back....

ARKO said:
One of the worst things while all this speculation was building, while the air filled with rumours, was that we were in deep negotiation with News Ltd. They had expressed interest in sponsoring the competition in the wake of Winfield's pending forced departure at the end of 1995. Winfield had given us the green light to talk to other prospective sponsors. Under a News Ltd deal the proposal was that the premiership would be called the Ansett Cup. Graham Lovett of Sports Australia and John Quayle were handling the negotiations in the main and late into 1994 we believed it was just about a fait accompli that we would soon have a new and powerful sponsor on board.

We had opened our records and financial statements to News Ltd. And we had opened our hearts - telling them what our plans were, our hopes for the game. They were privy to just about everything it was possible to know about rugby league in 1994. And that's the unforgivable thing. That while they were talking to us they were also in quiet negotiation in the background with the Broncos about the possibilities of a Super League. People have asked me whether I thought News Ltd were ever fair dinkcum about the Ansett Cup idea - or was it just a dummy they threw us to get the information they needed?

Well, I'd like think they were fair dinkum, but after all that has happened since, I have my doubts. They were in there wheeling out all the knowledge they needed for what lay ahead. I find it appalling.

The deal with News foundered on the conditions we had put or so it seemed. We offered the premiership sponsorship/naming rights to News for around $8 million, with a cash component of $4 million. And the fact was that News, via information conveyed from Ken Cowley to Graham Lovett, accepted the proposal. In essence it was a three way arrangement, involving News, Ansett and Coca Cola. Later came the turn around, Ken Cowley said the cash componentwas too high. How amazing that is in view of the hundreds of millions that have been flushed down the drain ever since.

At Phillip St there was a sense of excitement about having News Ltd as partners in the game. We already had close ties with them through our liensing and marketing structure and a full scale involvement seemed a logical extension of that. For all those reasons we were as candid as it was possible to be in handing over the information they required to make their decisions. We told them every single thing they needed to know about how the League worked. And they kicked sand in our faces.

Red Bear

Referee
Well, i cant believe i am agreeing with Cliffy in alot of his pro ARL stuff!
Arko was good in staying loyal with the ARL but didnt like his extreme bias towards manly. However under his administration there were 4 queensland side, all the traditional areas of NSW, Aukland and Perth. Super league did a helluva lot of good with those sides eh!.

DIEHARD

----
I'll try to find out how much Winfield paid.

Can some people explain to me his Manly bias and instances of it. I'm not looking for a debate, I'm looking to be educated.

DIEHARD

----
I'm looking but can't find any figure so far. He does say at one stage.

ARKO said:
Without Winfield's generosity and support, such financing would effectively come out of the clubs funds. With the exception of North Sydney, clubs share annually in $1.2 million of Winfield investment in ground signs.

So that is $1.2 million per annum for ground signage alone. But I believe whatever the amount is, it would be undervalued and the ARL knew their value esspecially now that their game was truely national.

Here is a question for Cliffy GC. You are a passionate traditional fan, but where would you stand if Manly did some how defect just like Canterbury did. Would you support the club or support your morals. This is the situation I was placed in during the Super League war.

Sadly it has ruined a lot of the fun for me but it made me appreciate other clubs more. I'm less one eyed and more a lover of rugby league as a whole.

Grantwhy

Juniors
What i find curious is that the ARL stopped fighting as soon as Packer got what he wanted :|.

Every accepts that the SL was controlled by a media orgnnisation but i don't see the same being said about the ARL when it appears they were.

ps: I'm not really on either side, i just don't thing the blame is all on one side :(.

pps: yes, the team i support went with SL, and i believe it took untill 2002-3 before they started to recover from it.

ppps: i do however believe that if they had stayed with the ARL then there would only be the Broncos in Qld :oops:.

ppppps: there was no pppps :p.

We now return you to the personal insult thread (it would be nice if that didn't happen though)