What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That is why origin > tests

The vast majority of NZ Rugby League fans can be put into 1 of 2 categories.

Category 1- Enjoys Origin. Supports one of the teams. But see's it for what it is, and doesn't want Kiwis involved in it in any way.

Category 2- Doesn't care about Origin.

Pretty much the only time we ever hear people talking about Kiwis being involved in Origin (while retaining the right to play for NZ is from Australians in the media. Sometimes a Kiwi league player takes the bait. (Aussie journalist- 'you'd like to play Origin, wouldn't you'; Kiwi league player- 'yeah, we'd love to play Origin') Then, Australians respond to their own scummy media as if all of us Kiwis were trying to invade their territory. We're not. We're in either category 1, or category 2.

In the same way, the OP is insinuating that all of us Kiwis are so put out that Origins are more popular than tests, or that we are 'excluded' from Origin. A couple of Kiwis have taken the bait. Then, you Aussies have all responded to this scummy OP as if all of us Kiwis were trying to invade their territory. We're not. We're in either category 1, or category 2.

Keep Origin for Aussies. Us Kiwis will keep enjoying it, or ignoring it. And we'll keep on working on being more and more competitive, looking to make our triumphs the rule rather than the exception.

End thread.

Or category 3, category 3 being "I don't care about Origin, but I'll bemoan it every opportunity I'm given and force my perceived shitness of Origin into every conversation I have"

Meth

Staff member
Or category 3, category 3 being "I don't care about Origin, but I'll bemoan it every opportunity I'm given and force my perceived shitness of Origin into every conversation I have"

I said 'vast majority'. There's always a vocal minority (see your most recent thread)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You're trying to put forward criteria for what and what doesn't merit the pinnacle of sport, but by using your reasons for Origin not being a pinnacle of sport we could turn it around and say the f**king World Snooker International Championship is a pinnacle of sport.
Well it could be the pinnacle of snooker for all I know. I personally don't care for Snooker. It could be an Olympic sport for all I know or care.

When will you realise that competitions and games are judged on their actual merit as competitions and games, not some made up criteria such as counting the number of country participants.
When origin determines world champions in a manner that say the olympics defines the olympic champion or wimbledon crowns best tennis player on grass, we can talk.

The World Cup is not the pinnacle of Rugby either. The Lions Tour is the pinnacle of Rugby.

Oh you mad. Lions is no World Cup.

Compare the fixed Kiwi World Cup that was complete shit and boring and an all round unappealing shambles to the last Lions Tour of South Africa... Are you f**king kidding me? There is no comparison.
Didn't watch the Lions tour of South Africa. I did watch the RugWorldCup. Which world cup of New Zealand's was fixed? NZ has two. So you'll need to be more specific.

And f**k me if you think the soccer world cup is the pinnacle of the sport, you'd find about 8 soccer fans on the planet who agree with you.

That's why, when it comes to Sport in general, Origin is right there with the Superbowl, the Olympics, The Soccer World Cup and Wimbledon as the pinnacle, PERIOD.

You guys need to get your stories straight.

Soccer is the most tribal sport in the world, every soccer fan would rather have tickets to their local derby than go and see their country play.

No, the Soccer World Cup is the pinnacle. All fans want to see their Country crowned champions. It even unites the British hooligans.

What nationalist f**ks like you don't understand is that no matter what you type, a game between NZ and Australia will never be half of what the games between QLD and Australia are.
No, what Australian nationalist f**ks like you dont realise is that you're still sore that you're not world champions. At anything. You still have bicycling and swimming and the Olympics comming up, but the RugLeagWC, RugWC, and CricWC are gone for now. "Aussie Aussie Aussie! No cup, no cup, no cup."

Until international games get to the level of Origin, and they're far f**king from it right now, international league will never be the pinnacle.
benji+m.jpg

Benji says you mad.

But hey, buy all the Poms, Kiwis and Juke Box and you may be onto something... Sorry Miguel... ;)

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Antilag, why are you ignoring the 4N comp in all this? I mean, isnt it the Int'l comp that involves the 3 strongest sides in Int'l RL? The WC was 4 years ago and by all rights is considered a bit of a joke due to the farcical nature of the other lower tiered teams.

If you really want credibility in your bragging rights, how about you throw up the current world rankings in all the sports you claim Australia is falling behind NZ in

Just a suggestion champ

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Wow Antilag has really owned the f**k outta this thread. Even chucked in some GC pics to really rub it in lol. For the record Antilag....Rosanna > Jessie LOL...and Rosanna's a kiwi!

Cadel Evans, Swimming *holds back laughter*.

Oh Rosanna, you should see her box ;)

I have to admit, I had absolutely no f**king idea who Cadel Evans was before this thread.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Antilag, why are you ignoring the 4N comp in all this? I mean, isnt it the Int'l comp that involves the 3 strongest sides in Int'l RL? The WC was 4 years ago and by all rights is considered a bit of a joke due to the farcical nature of the other lower tiered teams.

If you really want credibility in your bragging rights, how about you throw up the current world rankings in all the sports you claim Australia is falling behind NZ in

Just a suggestion champ

The lower tiered teams do not win it.

A World Cup is more precious. You only have one every several years. They are harder to get and thus mean more. They are the pinnacle of World Sport.

NZ has outperformed Australia in the CricWorldCup, the RugbyUnionWorldCup and the LeagueWorldCup, those are the only bragging rights needed.

Winning the ratings is like winning a Minor premiership only to be bundled out in the finals like St George in 09. It is just regular season stuff. The real test and glory is getting up in the finals in order to win the cup. Just ask Brisbane '93.

But in saying that, 2010 final was pretty kewl too. ;) Not like the Kiwi success in the League World Cup was anomalous.

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The League World Cup only holds as much relevance as the Four Nations tournament, as it's the same teams that you have to beat to win it. The only difference is the time between them. Kiwis won the WC in '08, then were promptly bundled out of the 4N the next year. They won the 4N in '10 and were promptly bundled out last year.

Massive lol at the "We're still World Champions" calls despite getting thumped in just about every other match you've played.

If there was more competition to the World Cup than the top 3 or 4 nations, it might hold the same importance to the sport as the Football World Cup does to Soccer.

But there isn't......so it doesn't.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
If there was more competition to the World Cup than the top 3 or 4 nations, it might hold the same importance to the sport as the Football World Cup does to Soccer.

So to clarify, you think Masoe is wrong and that the Soccer World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport as opposed to local derbies? The Spainish world cup win meant more for a Spaniard than Barca beating Madrid?

Hey look, I'm not taking anything away from Australia's victories. To beat the World Champs as often as you do means that you are at the very least, a decent rugby league nation. Credit where its due. You guys can play. But lets not kid ourselves and think that Australia is the world champs or that the origin local derby is the pinnacle of the sport.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
The lower tiered teams do not win it.

A World Cup is more precious. You only have one every several years. They are harder to get and thus mean more. They are the pinnacle of World Sport.

NZ has outperformed Australia in the CricWorldCup, the RugbyUnionWorldCup and the LeagueWorldCup, those are the only bragging rights needed.

Winning the ratings is like winning a Minor premiership only to be bundled out in the finals like St George in 09. It is just regular season stuff. The real test and glory is getting up in the finals in order to win the cup. Just ask Brisbane '93.

But in saying that, 2010 final was pretty kewl too. ;) Not like the Kiwi success in the League World Cup was anomalous.

NZ won it in 2008

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
So to clarify, you think Masoe is wrong and that the Soccer World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport as opposed to local derbies? The Spainish world cup win meant more for a Spaniard than Barca beating Madrid?

I absolutely think the Football World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport. Trying to divide my opinion from MEB's does not make my point less valid.

Until the RLWC can be more than the top 3-4 nations having a realistic chance at winning it, it boils down to nothing more than the annual 4 Nations tournament held less often.

Don't ya think they'd wanna see Britain v Australia or NZ? Just per chance...

Obviously they'd rather see England v someone else, that's why I excluded England.

The test of quality is to ask about games that don't England yourself, and bar Kiwis everyone else in the world would rather see an Origin game than NZ vs somebody else :lol:

Joker's Wild

Coach

So how a team is currently going is less important to how they went 4 years ago (will be 5 by the time the next one rolls around)?

My my, you really are desperate to hold onto absolutely anything no matter how irrelevant it is to current status arnt you.

Sad

No, the Soccer World Cup is the pinnacle. All fans want to see their Country crowned champions. It even unites the British hooligans.

You have no idea you f**king idiot. British fans go to fight rival british fans at world cups. The same is true the world over.

Catch Millwall and West Ham fans run into each other at a world cup, or Burnley and Blackburn fans, or Rangers and Celtic - they will fight.

Club rivalries take place over international games, only a moron who knows nothing about football would say otherwise.

You have no bloody idea. You'd get your arse kicked just for saying that in any British football town

I'm telling you, national identity is nothing in football when it comes to club football.

Maybe if you're a glory hunting middle class chelsea of man united f**k, but if you're a fan of any real football club that comes before the national team, EVERYDAY of the year.

That's why international games have no atmosphere. Because real fans stay at home. The middle class wankers who get free corporate tickets are the main types you'll find at international football games.

How dare you say I'm wrong.

There is a reason why when you watch British League you will hear "YORKSHIRE, YORKSHIRE" coming from the stands, it's because regional and town identity trumps everything.

Lol, I would love to place a bunch of ardent football fans in the same room, see if they come together to support their national team. It would NEVER happen.

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I'm telling you, national identity is nothing in football when it comes to club football.

Maybe if you're a glory hunting middle class chelsea of man united f**k, but if you're a fan of any real football club that comes before the national team, EVERYDAY of the year.

That's why international games have no atmosphere. Because real fans stay at home. The middle class wankers who get free corporate tickets are the main types you'll find at international football games.

How dare you say I'm wrong.

There is a reason why when you watch British League you will hear "YORKSHIRE, YORKSHIRE" coming from the stands, it's because regional and town identity trumps everything.

Lol, I would love to place a bunch of ardent football fans in the same room, see if they come together to support their national team. It would NEVER happen.

Thank f**k the world = more than lower class British yobs then.

Thank f**k the world = more than lower class British yobs then.

You daft merkin. British football is tame compared to the rest of the world.

British football fans = MILD

You and your Kiwi mate are calling to adopt Football like qualities but don't really want it.

Trust me, as someone who has been in several countries while major international football competitions are taking place, nationalism is put to the side.

It doesn't matter whether we're talking about Brits, Germans, Russians or Mexicans. The local town or city team takes precedent over EVERYTHING

So don't f**king talk about football when trying to put Origin down, because Origin is the closest to football there is.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I absolutely think the Football World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport. Trying to divide my opinion from MEB's does not make my point less valid.

Until the RLWC can be more than the top 3-4 nations having a realistic chance at winning it, it boils down to nothing more than the annual 4 Nations tournament held less often.

A northern hemisphere team has won one RWC. The rest to the Tri Nations, SA, AUS, NZ. Does not change that the RWC means more, is rarer, and more precious, includes everyone, and is thus the pinnacle, more than a mere tri nations. As George Gregan said "4 more years".

Latest posts