What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That play- Running on the last.

Como Connection

First Grade
So
After seeing the replays of the last set, although it didn't come off, it was good to see they had the balls to roll the dice....even though they got the execution wrong. Was it the wrong play at the wrong time - probably but at least they went for it.

I think it would've been tough to get the win, had it gone to extra time as we were out on our feet.

I had more of an issue with Ah Mau getting stripped of the ball so easily.
So do I, that's was the match.
CC

j0nesy

Bench
As stated, we can argue till the cows come home who got the play wrong.

The way Mann straightened, it does appear that he thought he was a decoy. Otherwise he would have angled closer to his support. And the fact that Field was trailing out the back, I’m almost 100% certain he was meant to get the ball. Perhaps Field wasn’t in the right spot and Hunt couldn’t see him so he passed to Mann, we’ll never know. It sure looked silly though when Mann was straightening and heading back into the defence.

Could Mann have passed the ball? Maybe? But let’s remember he’s a part time half and I don’t really expect him to make a clutch play in that situation.

Anyway, all moot now. I still think we should have kicked deep and taken our chances in extra time.

Crickey, if that’s the case then you have to wonder why our 5/8th would be running a decoy at all, let alone on the 5th tackle.

gonz

Juniors
So

So do I, that's was the match.
CC

I can only think they didnt believe souths wouldnt have enough time to set for a field goal, the play was on and yes if widdop was there i reckon they excecute it, also still think Mann does NOT complement Hunt, Mann said his a 5/8 but his not in my opinion, i love the bloke but his not a half, i reckon he had to bite the bullet and use field more like widdop and he would have hit his outside men, he posses a great pass.

Pilot house

Juniors
It should have been booted. The consequence of not booting it was losing the game, either earlier than might have otherwise happened -or indeed actually winning it.

SaintPauli

Juniors
It should have been booted. The consequence of not booting it was losing the game, either earlier than might have otherwise happened -or indeed actually winning it.
Having Hunt and Widdop on field at the same time would have made a huge difference. Out biggest challenge is to get players fully fit or close to by semi finals. Challenging but Bennet and his team did it in 2010.

watatank

Coach
He needs about 8 straight years of failure to get anywhere near Pearce.

And Pearce still wouldn’t have a comp if it wasn’t gifted to him when the Roosters got Jennings, SBW and Maloney under their salary sombrero.

So because Pearce has been around longer and NSW kept picking him, he's different?

Hunt is a similar age, only a year younger than Pearce. Similar skill level. Comparable stats. Plays on the right edge. Decision making at times questionable. Ability to lift in the big games questionable. Overall is considered good and rated by many judges.

They're not that different but Pearce has a rep.

JDHD

Juniors
The option was either a high percentage kick to go to extra time or a low percentage play that had the upside of winning the game. A+ for ballsiness, F- for brains hahaha.

Belta

Juniors
I am not going to slam hunt.
HE did what HE thought was best.
That's why he will never become a great half.
What he thinks and what he sees is not on par with a great half.

What he would like to do, he can't. His composure and skill levels are the issues.

That's not to say he is poor, but he isn't what I was hoping for either.

——————————————————————————————
I think Hunt will be a great player. Had his good and bad moments this year but at least he is backing himself. Looking at the loss, Inthink the way the team was travelling weighed heavily on Hunts decision to pass instead of kick. At this time we had dropped off and were back pedaling big time. The last few sets they were steam rolling us. At this stage the scores were even. He correctly identified that we had numbers and saw it as a chance to win the game.

He backed himself in a play that I believe should have ended differently. It’s was a simple numbers play that other back lines would have identified, set themselves and executed. Every game this year you see such moments ending in tries. Players identifying opportunities, positioning themselves and executing the play. Is it the fault of any one player? or is it because our backline players ie Mann is continually shuffled ? Also we can’t ignore that In this game we also had a lot of forced backline changes. The result is the understanding and cohesion between players isn’t where it should be and this isn’t solely the fault of one player.

You only need to look at the broncs win with most of our tries were scored by our forwards. Anyway, seasons gone looking forwards now, not backwards.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Regarding the Hunt play.

He was brought to the club to make those calls.

He thought the play was on, would prefer a player that had the vision to continue with the play.

If it work out we all would be screaming with joy, similar with Wippod's 40/20 in the dogs game.

What really ticks me of is below as Sutton got it wrong and nothing will be done about it.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan said at the time: "This does not absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised if it is deemed that they are interfering with play."

Gareth67

First Grade
But didn't he control the first half ever so well , excellent kicks and passes that all got the Dragon backline moving well into the Rabbitohs territory and not to forget his try traight through the guts of their defensive line . Well done Ben - you tried ever so hard and you and your teammates deserved to come out as winners, but for mine the game was turned on it's head with the McInnes penalty - in my opinion .

ouryears

Bench
——————————————————————————————
I think Hunt will be a great player. Had his good and bad moments this year but at least he is backing himself. Looking at the loss, Inthink the way the team was travelling weighed heavily on Hunts decision to pass instead of kick. At this time we had dropped off and were back pedaling big time. The last few sets they were steam rolling us. At this stage the scores were even. He correctly identified that we had numbers and saw it as a chance to win the game.

He backed himself in a play that I believe should have ended differently. It’s was a simple numbers play that other back lines would have identified, set themselves and executed. Every game this year you see such moments ending in tries. Players identifying opportunities, positioning themselves and executing the play. Is it the fault of any one player? or is it because our backline players ie Mann is continually shuffled ? Also we can’t ignore that In this game we also had a lot of forced backline changes. The result is the understanding and cohesion between players isn’t where it should be and this isn’t solely the fault of one player.

You only need to look at the broncs win with most of our tries were scored by our forwards. Anyway, seasons gone looking forwards now, not backwards.
Looking at hunts last play.......it may have been on but he did not set it up so it would come off. He simply passes to Mann who was in a poor position and definitely running the wrong angle, it was never going to come off.

Hunt is paid to make the right decisions, to manage the game ...and to get us home.
He did none of those.
It was called a poor choice live by all commentators who could even see it was not going to come off.

Hunt was the only one who thought it might.
Dumb dumb dumb decision
Kick the damn ball, force an error down there and who knows
That’s what he is paid for

Regardless, the season is over, not debating it any more, over it.
Hunt needs to step up in 2019 or he may find himself under pressure to hold down number 7.

ouryears

Bench
The option was either a high percentage kick to go to extra time or a low percentage play that had the upside of winning the game. A+ for ballsiness, F- for brains hahaha.
Agree
Anyone can be ballsy
Hunt is paid for football brains
Unfortunately he didn’t use them
People can defend him, that’s ok
But he called the wrong dumb call
Same reason he got dropped from the number 7 role for QLD SOO

Latest posts