What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That play- Running on the last.

ouryears

Bench
B
I don’t understand the conjecture here with the “maybes” or “could haves”.

The bottom line (to me at least) that’s far more pertinent is Au Mau getting stripped of the ball. If he had better ball security, obviously, this thread wouldn’t exist.
Because that was an error, not a decision as per Benny Hunts mad decision not to kick.

Forgive an error, but forgiving a dumb decision is harder.

giboz71

First Grade
He's basically the same as Pearce. People just don't want to admit it.

You can talk about what he can or might have done. Fact is he didn't, same as Pearce.

He needs about 8 straight years of failure to get anywhere near Pearce.

And Pearce still wouldn’t have a comp if it wasn’t gifted to him when the Roosters got Jennings, SBW and Maloney under their salary sombrero.

Redhoopz

Juniors
After seeing the replays of the last set, although it didn't come off, it was good to see they had the balls to roll the dice....even though they got the execution wrong. Was it the wrong play at the wrong time - probably but at least they went for it.

I think it would've been tough to get the win, had it gone to extra time as we were out on our feet.

I had more of an issue with Ah Mau getting stripped of the ball so easily.

giboz71

First Grade
After seeing the replays of the last set, although it didn't come off, it was good to see they had the balls to roll the dice....even though they got the execution wrong. Was it the wrong play at the wrong time - probably but at least they went for it.

I think it would've been tough to get the win, had it gone to extra time as we were out on our feet.

Well I guess if you’re looking at positives, the fact he had the balls to try it bodes well for next year.

Who knows if Widdop had been there it may have come off if he got the ball by mistake. Perhaps he would have simply catched and passed.

Not gonna crucify Mann however, he’s definitely not expected to be the player to nail that play, despite what many in here think.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors

Was a low percentage play but under the circumstances I can understand why he went for it.
We were losing the arm wrestle badly, they were rolling through our middle with ease. We were out on our feet and Hunt knew it. It was an all or nothing play which could have come off had the execution been better.
Yes he could have kicked long and sent it into 20 min extra time, but the momentum was all with souths.

The Damo

Juniors
Well I guess if you’re looking at positives, the fact he had the balls to try it bodes well for next year.

Who knows if Widdop had been there it may have come off if he got the ball by mistake. Perhaps he would have simply catched and passed.

Not gonna crucify Mann however, he’s definitely not expected to be the player to nail that play, despite what many in here think.
As one of the resident optimists that is how I see it. Sure the high percentage play was the long kick. But we were shot, I’d bet plenty Souths would’ve won from there anyway. But nail that play, put field in space with Lafai, JP and Hunt in support and very good chance we score and win.
And I’m certainly not wanting to crucify Mann, but it honestly looks to me that he could and should have been able to make that pass.

giboz71

First Grade
As one of the resident optimists that is how I see it. Sure the high percentage play was the long kick. But we were shot, I’d bet plenty Souths would’ve won from there anyway. But nail that play, put field in space with Lafai, JP and Hunt in support and very good chance we score and win.
And I’m certainly not wanting to crucify Mann, but it honestly looks to me that he could and should have been able to make that pass.

Yep. 100%

That’s why I raised it in JA what would happen it we had Widdop playing the Mann role in that movement.

I’m guessing as an international half, he has the composure to catch and pass in that split second, even if he did get the ball by mistake. That’s the difference between good and great players.

Mann unfortunately proved once again he’s nothing more than a fringe first grader and certainly not the guy to adjust and make the right play in that instance.

Harsh but true unfortunately.

True_Believer

Juniors
Was a low percentage play but under the circumstances I can understand why he went for it.
We were losing the arm wrestle badly, they were rolling through our middle with ease. We were out on our feet and Hunt knew it. It was an all or nothing play which could have come off had the execution been better.
Yes he could have kicked long and sent it into 20 min extra time, but the momentum was all with souths.

Exactly.

It's all hypothetical, but look at it this way. Hunt OR Mann kick the ball down into the corner. 3 things could have happened.

1. We keep them down their end and they punch it back down our end at the end of the set. At that point of the game we weren't getting to halfway so likely we would have gone into extra time (ie no chance to kick a field goal).
  2. They make a mistake and we get a chance at a field goal.
  3. They roll through us - again - and get in position for another shot at field goal.
If we go into extra time, given the ease with which they were making ground, we really didn't have it in us to stop them from scoring OR for us to score for another 10 minutes. So we had to have more points than them at full time. And if we were lucky enough to get a mistake, Hunts ability to kick field goals is well known. There's a risk there.

Second option, run it on the 5th. There was a chance. Hunt played what was in front of him and the execution failed. I don't begrudge the choice and if it had've come off, we win and he's hailed a hero.

So many choices in a split instant. The one thing that didn't need choices was LAMs ball carrying. Given there were already 3 or 4 strips prior to that in the game and numerous other attempts, and the current score, holding onto that ball was imperative. That should have more scrutiny.

Having said all that, there is a noticeable change in attitude when Sims went off. That's where it started to go down hill.

The Damo

Juniors
Yep. 100%

That’s why I raised it in JA what would happen it we had Widdop playing the Mann role in that movement.

I’m guessing as an international half, he has the composure to catch and pass in that split second, even if he did get the ball by mistake. That’s the difference between good and great players.

Mann unfortunately proved once again he’s nothing more than a fringe first grader and certainly not the guy to adjust and make the right play in that instance.

Harsh but true unfortunately.
Yeah I agree. I do think it’s a little curious that some of the same people saying there’s no way Mann could make that pass also advocate for him to be first choice centre. Surely you’d want a centre to be able to make that play to put their winger away.

Carlton

Juniors
Yeah I agree. I do think it’s a little curious that some of the same people saying there’s no way Mann could make that pass also advocate for him to be first choice centre. Surely you’d want a centre to be able to make that play to put their winger away.

They were running a block play and Mann is running an unders line, there is no way anyone getting that ball while they were running that line were going to pass it to Field. Especially, as Field arrives late (which is what he should have done) and if he had received the ball they probably score.

Hunt picked the wrong runner but in the heat of the moment with a split second to make a selection he thought Mann was the best option. In hindsight it wasn't, but that is footy, the best option will not always be picked in real time. The fact is that was a play that nearly won them the game.

Pilot house

Juniors
They were running a block play and Mann is running an unders line, there is no way anyone getting that ball while they were running that line were going to pass it to Field. Especially, as Field arrives late (which is what he should have done) and if he had received the ball they probably score.

Hunt picked the wrong runner but in the heat of the moment with a split second to make a selection he thought Mann was the best option. In hindsight it wasn't, but that is footy, the best option will not always be picked in real time. The fact is that was a play that nearly won them the game.
Exactly.

It's all hypothetical, but look at it this way. Hunt OR Mann kick the ball down into the corner. 3 things could have happened.

1. We keep them down their end and they punch it back down our end at the end of the set. At that point of the game we weren't getting to halfway so likely we would have gone into extra time (ie no chance to kick a field goal).
  2. They make a mistake and we get a chance at a field goal.
  3. They roll through us - again - and get in position for another shot at field goal.
If we go into extra time, given the ease with which they were making ground, we really didn't have it in us to stop them from scoring OR for us to score for another 10 minutes. So we had to have more points than them at full time. And if we were lucky enough to get a mistake, Hunts ability to kick field goals is well known. There's a risk there.

Second option, run it on the 5th. There was a chance. Hunt played what was in front of him and the execution failed. I don't begrudge the choice and if it had've come off, we win and he's hailed a hero.

So many choices in a split instant. The one thing that didn't need choices was LAMs ball carrying. Given there were already 3 or 4 strips prior to that in the game and numerous other attempts, and the current score, holding onto that ball was imperative. That should have more scrutiny.

Having said all that, there is a noticeable change in attitude when Sims went off. That's where it started to go down hill.

If one is statisizing, the Bunnies were completing only 70% sets. So a 30% chance of some kind of error or screw up had the ball been kicked long. So the roll-on as envisaged not so clear cut, but a consideration for sure. As a general ob, they weren’t playing that well. they weren’t clinical etc, only renno and co at the end. Just in time win.

getsmarty

Immortal
walkerc--huntb--2gp_3136.jpg

FINALS

Breaking down crazy final moments of Souths' win over Dragons
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 16 Sep 2018, 03:47 PM

The Dragons led 10-8 with 22 minutes remaining.

Between Adam Reynolds converting his own try to make it a two-point game and the South Sydney halfback kicking the match-winning field goal with 20 seconds on the clock, the momentum swung several times in the sudden-death semi-final at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

These are the moments that proved pivotal in sending the Rabbitohs into next week’s preliminary final against the Roosters, and in the process ended St George Illawarra’s premiership dreams.

Key moment 1: Air Jordan

57.59 - Damien Cook, who was proving hard to contain on the back of quick play-the-balls and some tiring Dragons forwards, plays the ball to Cody Walker inside the Dragons half on the last. The Dragons lead 10-8.

58:01 - Adam Reynolds puts up a bomb that doesn’t go the intended distance, coming down 28 metres from the Dragons try line.

58:07 - Rookie Dragons winger Jordan Pereira goes up to challenge for a ball that may have been better served being left to Dane Gagai to challenge and in turn provide the Dragons the chance to wrap up the ball carrier without the risk of a mistake.

Match Highlights: Rabbitohs v Dragons – Finals Week 2, 2018

58.10 - Referee Gerard Sutton blows a penalty against the Dragons after Pereira drops the ball and lands in the arms of offside teammate Kurt Mann. An innocuous bomb presents Adam Reynolds with a gift two points from the ensuing penalty goal. Scores level at 10-10.

Key moment 2: Jennings' jitters

66:30 - After the Dragons withstood several repeat sets, Ben Hunt boots the ball from 42 metres out from his own line and finds South Sydney fullback Alex Johnston on the full.

66:34 - Johnston claims Hunt’s 46-metre kick 12 metres out from his own try line. He runs 10 metres and throws a pass to winger Robert Jennings. Trying to take possession of a ball behind him, he sticks behind his right arm and drops the ball 22 metres out from the South Sydney goal line to end the Rabbitohs’ period of dominance. The game changes completely.

Key moment 3: Unhappy hunting

68:13 - Kurt Mann plays the ball to the left of the posts 10 metres out from the try line. Angus Crichton and Cameron Murray are at marker.

68:17 - Cameron McInnes finds Hunt 20 metres out right in front. James Graham and Jeremy Latimore stand in line with the ruck to impede the defenders. Thomas Burgess puts enough pressure on Hunt to ensure the Dragons halfback is unable to kick the first field goal of his career that would have taken the underdogs to an 11-10 lead.

“There’s 11 minutes to go. It’s very early to be taking a field goal. But I suppose when you haven’t been down here for a while you wonder if you’re ever going to get here again.” - Phil Gould on Channel Nine.

huntb--field-goal-1gp_7031.jpg

Ben Hunt misses his field goal attempt. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Key moment 4: Reynolds' first field goal

69:22 - Murray offloads to Cody Walker. The South Sydney five-eighth shrugs off Hunt and Leeson Ah Mau and manages to get a quick play-the-ball.

69:29 - Walker plays the ball to Damien Cook. Ah Mau and Hunt don’t make any attempt to move from marker.

69:31 - Reynolds slots a largely unchallenged field goal from 14 metres out thanks to Walker’s quick play-the-ball. The closest Dragons player looking to apply pressure is McInnes, but he is still six metres away from Reynolds when the boot connects with the ball. South Sydney lead 11-10.

"Adam was on tonight. He scored all our points ... very composed. Renno works very hard on his craft. I felt great for him. You get what you deserve and he deserved that tonight." – Anthony Seibold.

Key moment 5: Controversial penalty

71:51 - After the Dragons made 65 metres in just four tackles, rookie centre Zac Lomax plays the ball after a legs tackle from Murray.

71:55 - McInnes throws his pass, intended for Jack De Belin, into Murray who was on his knees in the ruck. De Belin was in his direct line of sight.

71:58 - Sutton blows a penalty against the Dragons hooker for throwing the ball into Murray.

"They made a decision earlier in the year that they were going to stop people from doing it but it’s not really the time to apply it there. Cameron was trying to get that ball to his teammate. He had De Belin lined up and the bloke is laying there in the play-the-ball.” – Phil Gould on Channel Nine.

On May 24, the NRL announced a rule change in which the attacking team would be penalised for deliberately throwing the ball into a player lying in the ruck after teams began exploiting the rule.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan said at the time: "This does not absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised if it is deemed that they are interfering with play."

suttong-mcinnesc--1gp_7120.jpg

Gerard Sutton penalises Cameron McInnes.
Dragons coach Paul McGregor disagreed with the call.

"It was a big important call. The rule as I know it to be is that it’s only a penalty if the passer changes his line of pass and I’m not sure Cam did that. Obviously Cameron Murray didn’t get out of the way so it could have been play on … he didn’t have to get out of the way, he just didn’t have to move, but obviously the pass was in line with someone who was going to receive the ball, which was Jack de Belin. To my liking Cam didn’t pass it down, he passed it flat, so I’d say play on.” – Paul McGregor.

Since the rule change, McInnes has now been penalised twice.

Key moment 6: Frizell's steal

74:47 - Hunt miscues an attempt to put up a floating bomb from halfway, and it wobbles down to South Sydney winger Campbell Graham to collect the ball nine metres out from his own try line.

74:55 - Frizell makes contact with Graham.

74.56 - Lomax joins in to make the tackle.

74:59 - Lomax drops off the tackle.

75:00 - Frizell strips the ball in a one-on-one situation 20 metres out from the South Sydney goal line.

frizellt-walkerc_2nh_5238.jpg

Tyson Frizell gets in a tangle with Cody Walker after the Rabbitoh was penalised. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
75:03 - Walker and Jennings complete the tackle on Frizell 14 metres out from the try line.

75:08 - Sutton blows a penalty against Walker for holding Frizell down too long.

75:57 - Lomax kicks a penalty goal from just to the right of the posts. Dragons lead 12-11 with four minutes remaining.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...azy-final-moments-of-souths-win-over-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
PART 2

Key moment 7: Murray magic

76:31 - Frizell is tackled 40 metres out from his line by Murray.

76:35 - Ah Mau beats Tom and Sam Burgess from the ensuing play.

76:36 - Murray tackles Ah Mau and wraps his arms around the ball. Sam Burgess tries to come in and finish off tackle but backs away when he realises Murray's intention to pull off a one-on-one strip. South Sydney go on the attack inside the Dragons' half.

murrayc--1gp_5801.jpg

Souths forward Cameron Murray. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"It was a game changer. Last week I spoke about the big moments Melbourne won … that was a big moment we won tonight. Cammo to steal the footy – we kicked two field goals in the last couple of minutes after that. He’s been outstanding the last three weeks for us, Cam.” – South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold.

Key moment 8: Reynolds kicks his second field goal

77:04 - South Sydney prop George Burgess is tackled 10 metres out from the line by Latimore, de Belin and McInnes.

77:07 - Murray and Sam Burgess rush to the right-hand side of the ruck to block de Belin and Latimore at marker from getting to Reynolds, who is set up 18 metres out right in front of the posts.

Seibold: It has been a tough 48 hours

77:10 - De Belin and Latimore get to within three metres of Reynolds and manage to get a finger on the ball, however the South Sydney halfback still kicks his second field goal of the night to level the scores with 170 second remaining. Scores level at 12-12.

Key moment 9: Last-tackle stuff-up

78:45 - Frizell is tackled by Cook and George Burgess 35 metres out from the goal line. Sutton calls fifth and last as Dragons coach Paul McGregor waits for a kick deep into the corner to limit South Sydney’s chances of kicking a field goal to win the game in regulation time.

78:53 - McInnes finds de Belin on the run. Hunt, assumingly unaware it was the last tackle, was standing wider of the ruck and unable to make what should have been his 17th kick of the night. His halves partner Kurt Mann outside him.

McGregor: I'm not going to turn on a player

78:58 - Mann receives the ball from Hunt and is tackled, forcing the Dragons to hand over the ball 46 metres out from their own line with just over a minute remaining.

"That is crazy," Andrew Johns said during Channel Nine’s call.

"This is no good," Phil Gould adds repeatedly.

Paul McGregor didn’t want to play the blame game.

"You can break the game down a fair bit if you like but that's not for this press conference. I'm not going to turn on a player who didn't make the right decision or anything like that. That's not for now. Going forward it's a great experience for them guys to make sure next time we get that opportunity we make it right." – Paul McGregor.

Reynolds kicks three field goals

Key moment 10: The match-winner

79.36 - Walker plays the ball to the right of the posts with Ah Mau and McInnes at marker.

79:39 - Ah Mau, who was guilty of not putting pressure on Reynolds for his first field goal, chases hard. Reynolds steps back on the inside to avoid the pressure and nails the match-winning field goal on the run from 19 metres out to become the first player since Billy Smith in 1971 to kick three field goals in a final. South Sydney win 13-12.

"A lot of credit goes to the coach. Throughout the pre-season and the season we've trained for scenario-based games and being through moments like that at training. We have trained for moments like that. All our reserve grade boys, the boys that don't play week in, week out, they do a fantastic job for us, putting us under pressure in those key moments.” – Adam Reynolds.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...azy-final-moments-of-souths-win-over-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
Monday Bunker: Dragons halfback Ben Hunt was right to run the ball
The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
DUMBEST play of the year? Maybe not.

Ben Hunt’s call to run the ball on the Dragons’ last attacking play has been slammed in the wake of the Dragons’ heartbreaking defeat to the Rabbitohs, but the under-fire halfback has received some support for his bold decision.

With a minute left to play Hunt got the ball at second receiver and instead of kicking passed to stand-in five-eighth Kurt Mann, who was tackled near the halfway line.

Instead of having to work their way back from deep in their own territory, the Rabbitohs received a handover 50m out which set the scene for Adam Reynolds to slot the decisive field goal.

Hunt’s call attracted criticism from all quarters, with Peter Sterling labelling it the “dumbest play of the year” on Nine’s Sunday Footy Show, and the play was a big talking point on the Monday Bunker.

While Hunt later admitted he could have “played the percentage play and kicked”, The Monday Bunker’s Tom Sangster said it was the right call to run the ball.

“This play was on,” Sangster said.

“Outside Kurt Mann it was three on zero, so it’s a massive chance (for the Dragons).

“He could have gone out the back to Jai Field. If it gets out beyond Kurt Mann then they get down at the bare minimum to about the 20-metre line which is what the result would have been from a kick.

“They would have been a big chance to score which would have won them the game.”

Fellow Monday Bunker panellist Fatima Kdouh said Hunt still had to wear blame for how the play unfolded.

“I agree with you, the play was on,” Kdouh said.

“But still in that clutch moment he came up with the wrong pass selection.”

Monday Bunker host Paul Crawley said it was a case of “right idea, bad execution”.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/89a4c37d2f291c672771509063a10260

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I thought Ah Mau getting stripped was the defining moment. A two arm carry was what was needed by a prop at that time. He holds the ball & a couple of tackles later we’re down on their 20.

Spot on. That error got Souths to 12-12. There was only 4 to go. If he holds the ball Saints chew another minute and get Souths down their end as Hunt would have kicked it deep if they are 12-11 in front. The chances of Souths getting the 3rd field goal would have been far less but Au Mau gave them that extra minute to get them the chance. Forget the last play as the one that killed Saints. I think there was a good chance Souths would have got to 12-12 with 4 minutes. They were making good yardage.

I feel for poor Ben Hunt now cause he is going to hear it all when he and Mann should never have been in that position.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hunt gets the blame by the press for losing the game but not for putting them in front for most of the game with the ONLY try Saints scored. Not many halves score that try. Imagine if Saints still had McCrone? The press are brutal when it comes to Benny.

I really hope there is a thing called karma because if their is about time it goes the other way and Benny wins us games which I am sure he will in his time at the red v. If Saints win against Souths he would have been hailed as a legend and that try he scored will actually get some mention. They lose by a point and you would not even know that he scored it. Sad.

ouryears

Bench
Hunt gets the blame by the press for losing the game but not for putting them in front for most of the game with the ONLY try Saints scored. Not many halves score that try. Imagine if Saints still had McCrone? The press are brutal when it comes to Benny.

I really hope there is a thing called karma because if their is about time it goes the other way and Benny wins us games which I am sure he will in his time at the red v. If Saints win against Souths he would have been hailed as a legend and that try he scored will actually get some mention. They lose by a point and you would not even know that he scored it. Sad.
I am not going to slam hunt.
HE did what HE thought was best.
That's why he will never become a great half.
What he thinks and what he sees is not on par with a great half.

What he would like to do, he can't. His composure and skill levels are the issues.

That's not to say he is poor, but he isn't what I was hoping for either.

Latest posts