What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 8th Immortal

LazyDreamer

Bench
Bloody hell - whose nan did Provan shag?

Hopefully he will become an immortal before it'll be reported as, "....was tonight posthumously inducted..."

Canard

Immortal
Good to see Joey inducted in this NSW players club.

Only chance a QLD player had of even getting a sniff was to be the greatest League player of all time.

greg

Juniors
Good to see Joey inducted in this NSW players club.

Only chance a QLD player had of even getting a sniff was to be the greatest League player of all time.

Silly comment. Artie and the King are already there. Is the criteria now that future immortals must be Qlders to even up the numbers? By that reckoning the next 4 immortals must be Qlders so that there is no accusations of bias. :roll:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Provan, Meninga, Coote, these guys all did far more for rugby league than a pill-popping, petulant little merkin from the arse end if the earth.

The Immortals clearly means nothing anymore.

What a f***ing joke. What a fantastic example for future players. "Hey kids, do drugs your whole career and you can be an immortal like me, Joey johns" the immortals have now lost all credibility.

:lol: An anti-Newcastle and a Queensland opinion. Well there you go.

Knightmare

Coach
^ :lol:

I think Roo of the Sunshine Coast summed up the comments pretty well:

"The 'anti Queensland' bias whinge has already started.............. That said, the Queensland inferiority complex is well deserved."

Honestly, some people need to take a chill pill, travel outside their beloved state a bit more and realise that Qld, NSW and the other states are all still Australia! Joey was not just a great player for the Knights and NSW, but AUSTRALIA. Last time I checked, Qld players also represented AUSTRALIA. Yet if Joey Johns had grown up in Charters Towers, not Cessnock, a considerable number of these same people would defend him to the hilt as a "bit of a larrikin, nothing more" the way certain players are not deemed as grubs but "passionate" because of the jersey they wear 3 times a year...

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Another gem:

"Not too much support here from Queenslanders, who obviously take 'sport' much more seriously than those 'thugs' south of the border. NSW is so biased, yet they don't even try to hide it. This award is a disgrace to the League, and a slight against a truly great player in Mal Meninga. Sorry NRL, but you have absolutely NO credibility after that disgusting decision (a bit like the way your refereeing decisions are made?)."

:lol:

In my experience, "NSW bias" is saying anything that doesn't agree with the "Qld is #1 at everything!" propaganda that gets shoved down the throats of the Qld public by the media pretty much from the day they learn to read...

carcharias

Immortal
Mal was good ( awesome in full flight ) ...but seriously, he was physically massive in a time of avg to scrawny looking centres and wingers.
He should have been a front rower.
He could run fast over the top of much smaller blokes and pass....plus kick goals .

Johns was a genius with the ball in his hands .
Johns was a genius with the ball off the boot.
Johns was a very good defender.
He dominated entire games ... Club , state and country.
He was so far ahead of meniga in sheer skill it is not even a fair contest.
He also had to come back from much worse injuries than Mal.

I will go as far as to say that A.Johns was even better than Wally on the whole.
Wally was the SOO king ...no question...but not week in week out. IMO.

Another gem:

"Not too much support here from Queenslanders, who obviously take 'sport' much more seriously than those 'thugs' south of the border. NSW is so biased, yet they don't even try to hide it. This award is a disgrace to the League, and a slight against a truly great player in Mal Meninga. Sorry NRL, but you have absolutely NO credibility after that disgusting decision (a bit like the way your refereeing decisions are made?)."

:lol:

In my experience, "NSW bias" is saying anything that doesn't agree with the "Qld is #1 at everything!" propaganda that gets shoved down the throats of the Qld public by the media pretty much from the day they learn to read...
What a sweeping generalisation. You assume that most Qlders can read at all.

Latest posts