What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ABC at it again

Mader45

Juniors
I'm pretty sure I've heard alot of the arguments in this thread somewhere years before.....Oh that's right. If you replace NRL with African Americans and AFL with Whitey's it's the same story....

Poorer, stereotyped, statistically higher to commit crime group ignoring their own issues to bicker with a biased, wealthier yet hypocritical group who has the cash to hide their own indescrepencies they believe is holdn' them down.

elbusto

Coach
No. Tertiary education is about getting an education which means by nature they have to think for themselves, rather than being told what to do. Which is what happens with footballers. They have their managers that tell them where to sign and pay their bills, buy their homes and the like; PR people who handle any indiscretions; football managers that tell them where to be and when, coaches that tell them to do this today; dieticians telling them what to eat etc etc. It's not unlike being institutionalised.

Force them to get an education for 3-4 years and make them live in the real world. They will have to learn to pay bills, to do their own grocery shopping, go pay the rego, struggle financially and interact with society. They will have to do their own thinking. Not live the sheltered life of a footballer. By nature they become better rounded individuals. Not dopey footballers. Don't see what the problem is. They come out better equipped for retirement, they get all the crap out of their system away from the public eye and they can think for themselves.

They didn't renew because of player behaviour.
http://www.current.com.au/2009/07/07/article/Samsung-considers-whether-to-dump-Roosters/RKBVDOOCSD

It's about saving face.

Spell out the standards? Ummm... Really? You need a standard of behaviour in writing to realise that sh*tting in hotels, peeing on walls and getting your balls licked by a dog is not acceptable? How about beating your girlfriend? Drunk driving? Hmmm....

It's not getting technical. If you want say crowd figures are up, then you need to look at a historical basis as well as how that compares to population growth. That's what you need to compare against. The number of people at games doesn't count, it's the percentage that matters. If the population increases and the percentage attending drops year to year in line with that population increase, then it is wrong to say crowds have increased. The number of people is not statistically significant. It's the percentage.
You are getting very boring and you are very negative.:roll:

shane87

Juniors
Unless you're a first grade footballer then of course they won't get in trouble over it. For all you know they could go home and do it every night. I'm sure a ton of your mates have done crap like the NRL players have, maybe not with a dog, but ridiculous and stupid nonetheless. One of the players I have played with is in jail for murder, saying it's because he plays Rugby League is the same as saying it's because he's Indigenous.
Your 2 year old son isn't going to turn into an idiot just because he plays Rugby League.

You serious? Do you seriously think Monaghan and other footballers have never done any of this? What, do you think they just sit on the couch while sponsers feed them grapes?
All that uni crap is ridiculous. They won't 'get all the crap out of their system' in 3-4 years. Monaghan is 28, not 19. He didn't do this prank because he didn't get it out of his system when he was 19 or 20.

I know where you coming from, but it's like the catho priest thing, you get more than 1 or 2 doing out the box crazy stuff, sh*t sticks ya know?

If you get a few people from the same 'group' of people that get caught doing something pretty bad then the group will get tarred, it might not be fair but in reality it's what happens.

chefman21

Juniors
You serious? Do you seriously think Monaghan and other footballers have never done any of this? What, do you think they just sit on the couch while sponsers feed them grapes?
Yes. I am serious. It's a commonly known fact that managers handle most of their financial stuff including paying bills and that dieticians plan most of their meals. The don't have to think what they should be eating. They are told what they should be eating. They just have to pick it up. It's a known fact that their lives are planned out for them. And it's a fact that many of them struggle with day to day life post career.

All that uni crap is ridiculous. They won't 'get all the crap out of their system' in 3-4 years. Monaghan is 28, not 19. He didn't do this prank because he didn't get it out of his system when he was 19 or 20.

If you haven't grown up by 21-22 then you have a problem.

shane87

Juniors
Yes. I am serious. It's a commonly known fact that managers handle most of their financial stuff including paying bills and that dieticians plan most of their meals. The don't have to think what they should be eating. They are told what they should be eating. They just have to pick it up. It's a known fact that their lives are planned out for them. And it's a fact that many of them struggle with day to day life post career.

Joey Johns said exactly that. Never had to think about a thing, he wanted a car bang! there at the door, needed a bill paid, there paid. He said all he ever had to do was click.

Last edited:

shane87

Juniors
All of that is fine Shane and reasonable. What we object to is the double standards that rugby league is subjected to in this country. The media, lead by the game's part owner, beats up every little (and big) negative story about our code because it sells units. It's a nice, safe target to sneer at by opinion hacks like King.

The reason the AFL is singled out by us, even without getting into issues of deliberate media and police cover ups or ignoring of incidents that would lead to bad press, is because AFL has an unearned reputation as the clean code but only at the expense/when compared to the manufactured consensus that league is the "bad" code.

OK, then give them nothing to write about. Behave yourself, being young (I'm not that old) is no excuse for some of the things I read about. Easy fixed.

Springs

First Grade

It's a known fact, then go fetch those facts for me please. I'm sure a dietician tells them to go to McDonalds every now and then. You do realise many of them have a wife and kids, and therefore responsibility.

And grown-ups are always so sensible and mature. You do not have a problem if you want to have fun once in a while.

P.S. Thanks for quoting I posted twice and they were both deleted for some reason.

hellteam

First Grade
As if there is 10,000 females playing AFL in Qld. Unless a guy asking his girlfriend to kick a ball for his amusement counts.

I'd be very surprised if there was even 10,000 males playing.

Last edited:

chefman21

Juniors
It's a known fact, then go fetch those facts for me please. I'm sure a dietician tells them to go to McDonalds every now and then. You do realise many of them have a wife and kids, and therefore responsibility.

And grown-ups are always so sensible and mature. You do not have a problem if you want to have fun once in a while.

P.S. Thanks for quoting I posted twice and they were both deleted for some reason.
Brett Kenny said he struggled post career for years. Joey Johns has said the same. So have plenty of other players. The Men of League foundation is almost purely designed to help those who struggle.

I'm sure a dietician does tell them to go to McDonalds. But it's the telling them that is the problem. They don't make the conscious choice. There is no thinking involved, apart from getting there.

I do realise many of them have wives and kids. But just because you are married doesn't mean you don't mess up. Fittler did so. So did the Johns boys.

It's not the having fun that's the problem. I really don't care if they write themselves off. But it's what they do when they are drunk that's a problem. If you have hit 28 and think peeing on the walls is acceptable or having relations with a dog then that's a problem.

m0nty

Juniors
I'm pretty sure I've heard alot of the arguments in this thread somewhere years before.....Oh that's right. If you replace NRL with African Americans and AFL with Whitey's it's the same story....

Poorer, stereotyped, statistically higher to commit crime group ignoring their own issues to bicker with a biased, wealthier yet hypocritical group who has the cash to hide their own indescrepencies they believe is holdn' them down.

Jimmy Rabbitte: Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
For the original poster:

Yeah, I find it disgraceful the way the media reacts to RL playes defecating in hotels. RL players gang banging girls, RL players drunk in public. RL players urinating in public. RL players getting dogs to do sexual acts to them.

Yeah, how pathetic is the media when they target RL.....

meltiger

First Grade
She's a Brisbane radio host.

Imagine if she was a Melbourne radio host and wrote that against the AFL (which you could quite easily do given that code's off-field record).

She'd be run out of town.

That's the difference.

Actually, in fairness a woman would get away with it because the second you criticise their writings the "Sexist" card gets played.

You poor old misogynists..you are so stupid that you miss the point of the article.
Mothers dictate what their sons will play, women are supposed to make up 50% of league supporters, hence make up to 50% of those who decide to purchase merchandise etc which brings in income for league.
You dinosaurs think that league players can denigrate women and animals with their drunken antics and group mentality and sponsors will still tip millions into the code.
I feel sorry for your wives or daughters..they are probably scarred for life with champions like you boys under the same roof!

& yet, when they grow up and are able to make their own choices, they choose RL.

Silly women country wide may force their precious little darlings into soccer at 8yo but try telling a 15yo he can't play RL with his mates because mummy thinks it's "too rough" or doesn't like the culture.

meltiger

First Grade
As if there is 10,000 females playing AFL in Qld. Unless a guy asking his girlfriend to kick a ball for his amusement counts.

I'd be very surprised if there was even 10,000 males playing.

I was thinking exactly the same thing reading your first line there.

lol @ any such claim of that many women playing.

Glenn

First Grade
The AFL has had it's share of incidents of raper allegations, drug use on a club level (covered up by the three strike policy), players getting into cars with criminals and going for a ride,etc.
Union have had there share of incidents as well, although with a fraction of the teams that League and AFL have you get a fraction of the incidents.

Scarves

Juniors
Brett Kenny said he struggled post career for years. Joey Johns has said the same. So have plenty of other players. The Men of League foundation is almost purely designed to help those who struggle.

I'm sure a dietician does tell them to go to McDonalds. But it's the telling them that is the problem. They don't make the conscious choice. There is no thinking involved, apart from getting there.

I do realise many of them have wives and kids. But just because you are married doesn't mean you don't mess up. Fittler did so. So did the Johns boys.

It's not the having fun that's the problem. I really don't care if they write themselves off. But it's what they do when they are drunk that's a problem. If you have hit 28 and think peeing on the walls is acceptable or having relations with a dog then that's a problem.

I don't really care about any of this, I just want to watch the footy. Whether they are 28 or 18, their social life isn't a concern for me. However, I'm really happy there are people out there winding themselves up, walking the moral crusade and tackling the big issues. If is wasn't for these procrastinators the world may stop spinning. :crazy:
Is that the appropriate world spinning icon?

I guess I may see you next casting judgement at the Pearly Gates. Thanks for day and night.

Latest posts