What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

t-ba

Post Whore
I Like the Mcyntire System.

There's a problem with the second week (Ranks don't quite line up), but atleast EVERY possible GF combination within the 8 is possible.

Stranger

Coach
The McIntyre System is near perfect. Why change it? It rewards teams the higher up they finish. Hence the 1 vs 8/ 2 vs 7 and so on. EXACTLY what SHOULD happen.
Exactly. If you lose to a team that supposedbly you could dominate do you deserve a top 8 spot? The cowboys have a shot at the finals this year which is good and they could possibly finish higher than 7 by pulling of an upset in the finals. Team 8 has never won a game in the finals but does that mean that they wont? A coupple of teams have won the comp from 6th spot. didnt the knights do it in 2001.
If teams 1,2,3,4 lose maby 3,4 should be kicked out?
The 5 team finals is crappy.
Who wants to copy the AFL anyway?

Bengal

Juniors
Twizzle said:
8 teams in the final is just revenue raising

teams at 7 and 8 have no hope, and shouldn't be there IMO.

I'm all for it (revenue raising). The game needs as much money as it can get. It's a win win situation that teams 7-8 do have 'no hope' as you say.
It's a win for the fans of teams 7-8 just to make the finals.
It's a win for the fans of the teams who have to play 7-8 (if they win that is).
If teams 7-8 actually make it to the Grand Final, perhaps even win, then questions would be asked about our finals system - there would probably be an uproar if such a scenario were to happen.

Corbin

Juniors
Which would u prefer?
afl....
1 v 4 & 2 v 3 (both winners get week off and both losers play the winners of the other 2 games)

5 v 8 & 6 v 7 (both losers are out, winners play other games losers)
at least i think thats how their system goes....

this makes sure none of top 4 can get kicked 1st week as can happen in NRL's current system. and it gives the bottom 4 teams a bit more of a chance.

its a much better system

(thanks knights 2004) just though i would get peoples opinion on it....

ngap

Juniors
In the AFL there is no advantage really of first over fourth. It also limits who can play in the GF from the top 8

El Diablo

Post Whore
I think they're both Mcyntire systems just different ones.

We used the format they used before but for some reason we changed to this stupid one.

lazza

Juniors
a bit tough tho... get the good games early in the play-offs but more chances of getting injured...

im not sure if afl style is the best for league.

just make it top 6, skip the first week and no one would complain, besides news ltd

Et#1_supporter

Juniors
with McIntyre the first and second weeks are bullshit.

Say 1 beats 8 and 2 beats 7

Then 3 beats 6, 4 beats 5. 5 and six get 2nd bites at cherry

Second week 3 v 5, 4 v 6
Now a low ranked team like 5 or 6 can lose first week, then win the second week and knock out a team as high as 3 who won the first week. Not very fair.

AFL for sure

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am with pauly, niether option is appealling when only 15 teams are in the comp.
If there were 20 teams, I would take ours, but with 15, it should be top 5 only.

wittyfan

Referee
The AFL system is much better. I think by making the Top 4, you should be guaranteed a second chance.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Why?

I think only team should have that, the minor premiers.

It is finals, lose and your out.

Teams that win have nothing to fear.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
It will be better if the NRL introduces the Top 6 ESL system!

This how it goes

WEEK ONE

1st Elimnation SF Brisbane (3) vs Melbourne (6)

2nd Elimanation Penrith (4) vs St. George (5)

*Two highest teams - Easts (1) and Canterbury (2) will have a week off

WEEK TWO

Major Semi Finals: Easts vs Canterbury... Winner to the GF

Minor Semi Finals: Winenr Bris/Melb vs Winner Pen/StG - Loser elimanated

WEEK THREE

Preliminary Final: Loser Easts/Canterbury vs winner Minor Semi Finals - Loser eliminated

WEEK FOUR

GRAND FINALWinner Easts/Canterbury vs Winner PF

This is how fair this finals system is!

ngap

Juniors
nd lose 3 matches. They won't do it. A new system is needed but they wan't the same amount of gate takings, i.e. same number of games

pcpp

Juniors
ozzy_ozman said:
It will be better if the NRL introduces the Top 6 ESL system!
This is how fair this finals system is!

I think thats a crappy system.

2nd could get into the Grand Final in one game...
3rd needs to win three games to make the Grand Final.

TigerMo

Juniors
After all the upsets this weekend and excitement this years finals series has generated, People are still calling for a top 6. Can't believe it. Top 8 needs to stay. The only thing that might need a change is the system, And I'd go for the AFL system.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
let me see than TigerMo... if you guys have won only 11 games and lost 13... would yous consider yourselves as title contenders? NO! If yous lose more than yous win than how can yous be in the finals? Its not right! A Top 6 is a must!

Pigskin

Juniors
ngap said:
In the AFL there is no advantage really of first over fourth. It also limits who can play in the GF from the top 8

there is when you have a league that is fair dinkum about being a National competition

the higher teams hosts the final .... if you finish 1st, you play at home until the GF

plenty of advantage in finishing 1st

the AFL is always a step ahead in these areas .... and level headed person can see that

Oink !

Latest posts