What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

ozjet1

there is nothing wrong with the McIntyre 8 system and the way its home matches are scheduled. it essentially makes all games sudden-death (which finals should be) as games need to be won (even by the top 2) in the 1st week to for a team to proceed, or have an advantage in the following week.

but the problem with it is it doesnt compliment the length of the regular season. teams bust a gut for a high seeding in the qualification rounds for half the year (26 weeks/6 months), but the mcintyre system eliminates any advantage earned with 1 loss in the 1st week. the mcintyre 8 is more suited to a shorter qualification period.

solution: shorten the length of the regular season. it f**king drags on anyway.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
I've got no beef with the MS.

Particularly when there will be 18 teams, and there will be no possibility of a team sneaking into 8th spot with a 50/50 record....

Deacon

First Grade
A few glitches that could be changed, no one has really come out with a better system apart from the AFL model, week 2 games should favour the higher finishing teams win or lose to home city not home ground,

100% argee, its not the ideal system but theres not a better alternative out there, I'd only twick it by always giving the higher ranked team based on there finishing position the home ground/city advantage, this is also a reward for finishing in your position after the 26 rounds, this would be much better, teams ranked 7 and 8 should never gain a home ground advantage

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
100% argee, its not the ideal system but theres not a better alternative out there, I'd only twick it by always giving the higher ranked team based on there finishing position the home ground/city advantage, this is also a reward for finishing in your position after the 26 rounds, this would be much better, teams ranked 7 and 8 should never gain a home ground advantage

Teams ranked 1st should never lose to the team in 8th

Goddo

Bench

I disagree.

The finals is a completely seperate competition to the regular season. The problem which has been highlighted is that the Minor Premiers are not justly rewarded for their efforts. Does this reward have to be part of the finals? Not necissarily, the current system works well.

Make the Minor Premiership worth more, then winning both becomes a massive rare achievement.

chrisc101

Juniors
I've got no beef with the MS.

Particularly when there will be 18 teams, and there will be no possibility of a team sneaking into 8th spot with a 50/50 record....

Ummm I think you will find IF we go to 18 that it will become a 10 team finals series. Now way would they lose out on the extra revenue.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ummm I think you will find IF we go to 18 that it will become a 10 team finals series. Now way would they lose out on the extra revenue.

Every sensible person will be hoping they take common sense over money, for ONCE, and keep it at 8.

I still see flaws, like in 05, Wests flog the cowboys by 50 and they end up playing in the grand final, JOKE.
and 06 Saints beat Brisbane and brisbane go on to win the comp.
Lets hope they can invent something better soon.
Untill then I think the current system is the best.
Although there are still positives about the AFL system

Deacon

First Grade
Teams ranked 1st should never lose to the team in 8th

with the competition having the Salary Cap this will happen very frequently in the future years, there needs to be more of a reward for teams finishing higher, otherwise theres really not much point to having 26 rounds, it would be better off halved

Lego_Man

First Grade
1) Playing a team theoretically half as good as yours

2) Home match

3) Direct Week 3 passage if you win

4) Guaranteed second life if you lose

Those look like pretty good advantages to me. Oh wait, but then youll complain when 1 beats 8 and then goes on to lose in Week 3, because theyre "underdone".

No finals system is perfect, but the McIntyre system is pretty damn good. Quirky results occur in any system. But it seems to me that McIntyre often used as a scapegoat to explain results people dont like and/or expect. Maybe tweak the venues allocation method, but thats about it.

bender

Juniors

Its the second best system around (i used to hate it, but it is better than what the afl uses now). But the GlennC system is easily the best and fairest system for a top 8. It even has more games, so it makes more money than the current McIntyre system.

Smithtown

Coach
The biggest problem with McIntyre is not what happens to 1,2,7 & 8 first week, but what can happen to 3 and 6.

Technically, 3rd can lose to 6th in Golden Point in Week 1 and be bundled out of the comp. Similarly, 6th can lose by 70 pts in Week 1 and still go on to win the comp.

Both scenarios shouldn't be options in an 8 team format, and I dare say the year that 3rd is bundled out in Week 1 will be the last year of McIntyre.

Parra

Referee
Why do morons keep touting the AFL system?

Why do teams 4-8 deserve a soft landing?

8th should have to play 1st. There is no reason to have a finals series full of exhibition matches. I don't see the attraction of weak finals at all.

taxidriver

Coach
its absolutely stupid that there is no consistency in what happens to different games year to year

i've said before team 3 could win and team 5 could lose.

and they end up in the same position the next week.

thats f**ked.

top 4 should mean something and all the top 4 should have the opportunity of winning the week off

Latest posts