What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ayshford appreciation thread.

azzah72

Bench
Blake-Ayshford-Defence-Infographic.png

azzah72

Bench
Ayshford just doesn't look like he wants to be there.

I can't blame him though if he was told he wasn't wanted at the club a few weeks ago. But then again, why the f**k would we keep picking him?!

When Jono Wright is probably our next best option, you know it's dire.

At least he can have an ok game now and then.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has been disgraceful.

Carney needs to be blamed for a lot of that.

Blake needs clear instructions & roles.

He clearly hasn't received that all year.

Not worth persevering with now.

DJDL

First Grade
He has been disgraceful.

Carney needs to be blamed for a lot of that.

Blake needs clear instructions & roles.

He clearly hasn't received that all year.

Not worth persevering with now.

Actually Carney has been present for exactly half of those tries. There's one common denominator.

I think Carney has no confidence at all in Ayshford and is rushing up unnecessarily as a result.
He was nowhere near as bad last year or the year before with Pom outside him.

You saw it the other night. The first try was all Ayshford rushing up and grasping at thin air. After that, Carney's confidence in him is shot to pieces and he does the same for the second try.

I say punt Ayshford and put Lewis to centre. That should surely tighten up that edge. It also means we get Toops and Lewis on the park at the same time, and I'd like to see that

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carney has no confidence in himself. Ayshford's worst games have been playing outside Carney.

Both of them need to go to NSW cup for a month & get their shit right.

I'd consider Gagan as a centre. Holmes on the wing for a few weeks to find his feet.

The Popper

Bench
The sad thing is, under current conditions, the players obviously realise that no matter how badly they play there is very little chance that they'll be dropped.
NSW Cup had a BIG win this week so maybe the worm will turn. I just hope we're not nurturing Holmes along so slowly that we end up nurturing him for another club. :( Like with Peachey?

Card Shark

Immortal
Can't afford to put carney in NSW cup! Who is going to replace him - Holdsworthless?

1 of the 2 must go & I'm sure the decision is unanimous!

The Popper

Bench
We have a big weakness in the 3/4 line. Look at last week's game - Matai and co. strolled through around Ayshford like he wasn't there. Wright had a big game in NSW Cup....but he only has about 3 good games a year. I'd be shifting Lewis to centre, blood Holmes on the wing, Gordon back at fullback and I'd use Gardner as reserve hooker.......his zip around the ruck could find a few gaps when the big blokes get tired. (He'd need to learn to pass though).

chewsta

First Grade
Does Lewis even play for us anymore? We get zero value out of him.

Kimmorley (as much as i cant stand him) was spot on about that right edge defence the other night. He said something along the lines of the right edge needs to be working as a unit of four. One backrower, a half, the centre and the winger. at the moment there is zero comunication between any of those players and its every man for himself out there with people rushing up out of the line all over the place.

I also noticed Carney and Ayshford having words on more than one occasion out there and neither looked real impressed with what the other one was saying. there's obviously no harmony at all there.

webShark

We have a big weakness in the 3/4 line. Look at last week's game - Matai and co. strolled through around Ayshford like he wasn't there. Wright had a big game in NSW Cup....but he only has about 3 good games a year. I'd be shifting Lewis to centre, blood Holmes on the wing, Gordon back at fullback and I'd use Gardner as reserve hooker.......his zip around the ruck could find a few gaps when the big blokes get tired. (He'd need to learn to pass though).
Some good points Pop.

I used to have similar ideas about Gards. Like you said he would need to learn to pass , plus he would need to learn to tackle. Gets run over a lot. I don't think he could do it.

We are a funny lot. We know Morris is unlikely to return any time soon so let IDG go to
Parra. End result , we are forced to play a kid we didn't keep. If he wasn't unmotivated before , he will be now. Plus if Arona is better than Politoni what does that tell you? I think Brown will go to back up hooker when Robbo is fit. Jeez, I didn't rate IDG but the club did.

More importantly what does Gall think! He doesn't want the spoon, so assume he won't miss many games.lol.

Box of chocolates the Sharks. Who would have thought this week we would have the captain basically forcing the INTERIM coach to quit. Takes the focus off ASADA and Ayshford for a while :)

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't afford to put carney in NSW cup! Who is going to replace him - Holdsworthless?

1 of the 2 must go & I'm sure the decision is unanimous!

Penani and Brown

Play Politoni at hooker, get some speed in the playmakers.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why dont they just move Carney to the other side of the field to defend?
I suggested they just move him between a prop and the back rower. Then have Ayshford outside the back rower.

Ayshford has defended better when Carney hasn't played by a considerable amount.

Having Carney between two strong defenders means that attackers will have to run at good defenders all night. Should help with Todd's confidence as well.

I'd be swapping Leutele to Carney's side and Ayshford to Robson's

Robson is a simple player and Ayshford works well off simple.

Carney needs a centre who can create something with footwork/speed, as it gives him a better outside option.

Ayshford is like a back rower standing out wide. Carney already has that option on the inside.

webShark

Penani and Brown

Play Politoni at hooker, get some speed in the playmakers.

Politoni behind Arona in the pecking order at the weekend. Too radical for the Shzrks to pick the reserve hooker for a bench spot.

Obviously , Arona was the logical choice. Gall at HB and Arona at hooker.

This forum is the best entertainment. Learn about the captain shafting the Interim coach and calls for Carney to be dropped. Hilarious to me. We have only one quality back, so let's drop him. Carney is not firing but could probably hold a spot in any of the 7 backline positions.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carney has done nothing to justify being picked.

Neither has Ayshford

Neither has Wright

Neither has Lewis

If poor performers aren't held accountable, then how do you expect them to change their ways?

Rewarding mediocrity isn't the best way to get the best out of players.

Benji Marshall and Braith Anasta are classic examples.

webShark

Politoni behind Arona in the pecking order at the weekend. Too radical for the Sharks to pick the reserve hooker for a bench spot.

Obviously , Arona was the logical choice. Gall at HB and Arona at hooker.

This forum is the best entertainment. Learn about the captain shafting the Interim coach and calls for Carney to be dropped. Hilarious to me. We have only one quality back, so let's drop him. Carney is not firing but could probably hold a spot in any of the 7 backline positions.

Put some headgear on Arona get him to run from dummy half, and we will have Michael Porter back.

How Sharp picked Arona as the backup hooker is beyond a joke

Latest posts