What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Beau Henry thread 2011

Serc

First Grade
Right, time for a new Henry thread, had one last year after we signed him and I think its time for a new one now.

The guy is more or less going to be our first choice half for the majority of the rest of the year (pending confirmation on Mullen's MRI scans of course), but there is going to be a lot of focus on him either way.

I am a fan of the guy from the half dozen or so matches that I've seen him play, certainly the last 2 haven't been great...in fact those two are by far the worst, with quite a gulf between that and the others.

So, away we go!

Edit: I also noticed in the stats from yesterday that he was made to make 22 tackles, with 1 missed and 1 ineffective...pretty good for a rookie half.

Last edited:
Right, time for a new Henry thread, had one last year after we signed him and I think its time for a new one now.

The guy is more or less going to be our first choice half for the majority of the rest of the year (pending confirmation on Mullen's MRI scans of course), but there is going to be a lot of focus on him either way.

I am a fan of the guy from the half dozen or so matches that I've seen him play, certainly the last 2 haven't been great...in fact those two are by far the worst, with quite a gulf between that and the others.

So, away we go!

Edit: I also noticed in the stats from yesterday that he was made to make 22 tackles, with 1 missed and 1 ineffective...pretty good for a rookie half.

Is this a replacement for Karma,s match day day experience thread serc :lol:

Serc

First Grade
Only for Coastbloke....oh actually don't mention the war!

Go post in the matchday experience thread if you want to talk about your cold food at the game!!!

Jono078

Referee
2 horrible games, seems to have lost his spring in his step since those first 2 games.

Not in anyway thinking he's a shit player all of a sudden though. With experience and aid of the team he'll start to take more control and build in confidence.

Burwood

Bench
A young player down on confidence. He has pretty much been non-exisent the last few weeks. 4 kicks yesterday in a game where Mullen missed over half the match with injury just isn't involved enough. Mullen, and rightly so, has been our dominant kicker over the opening 12 rounds, but now is Henry's time to take a bit more ownership of the game. If we are relying on Kidley's kicking game we will struggle the rest of the season.

Also a good opportunity for him to prove to Bennett he is worth keeping around next year.

Shenry4

Juniors
Well i dont blame him for kicking shit and not 'having a spring in his step' when he's come back from a broken ankle in his 4th and 5th game of firstgrade!!!

If he doesn't show something in the next fortnight I'll be worried, last 2 games his been ordinary to say the least.

RHCP

Bench
Defensively those stats are impressive, but halves are there tackle. That's just a bonus, as long as they don't allow a ludicrous amount of linebreaks down their edges than a halves job is done defensively as far as I'm concerned.

He showed a load of promise at the beginning of the year, but the last two weeks have been extremely ordinary. Right now I'm willing to excuse them because all in all the entire team has been rather ordinary, but if this form slump continues for much longer when Roberts returns he'll be putting a lot of pressure on.

billy2

Juniors
It takes up to 50 games to become an experienced firstgrader.

In an ideal world Henry would have had the luxury of taking a backseat to Mullen and Gidley for a whole season, and we saw how well that worked in the first 2 rounds. He was able to run some non-pressure plays and leave the hard stuff to the experienced guys, and he did it really well.

I suppose it's sink or swim time for the kid. About the last 5 kids we've dropped into this situation sunk without a trace, because, as a club, we accept nothing less than our halfback being the best player on the field. Anything less is unacceptable.

voltron

Juniors
i saw him defending at wing a couple of times
like at the start of the set, and would slowly move into the centre.

and yesterday was raining like crazy. i dont blame him for not being so influential.
i think next week would be a better indication
im still happy with him

Coastbloke

Bench
I was pleasantly surprised at how he went for those first 2 games..

Coming back from his injury he's not been as good, but y'now I'm not going to kick the bloke while he's down..

There's clearly a couple of reasons for his current form..He's still to get back on his feet after such a long lay off and I'm sure he's the Bennett thing on his mind..

Look, I'm not going to resile from or refute what was said over the pre season..I still think there was no need to bring him here, but we've got him and he did alright at the start at the season..

If the stuff that's being said about his departure from the Dragons and his less than happy relationship with Bennett is true then if Bennett is the wonderful father figure and a beacon of maturity as portrayed in the media then Bennett should ring the bloke and say lets work together like mature people...

If there's one thing I'll back Henry for it's this..I really really hate the total disprespect the game has for the contract..Right or wrong Henry signed up for 3 years and if he thinks his employment is going to be tenuous, then like the rest of us in a work situation he has a right to be a tad off his game..

Alex28

Coach
That stuff is all rumours Coasty. The club has said they aren't shopping him around.

So if we didn't sign him last year, we would be totally screwed right now given Mullen is gone for the season and Roberts is out for 8 weeks. Add the bonus that Gidley might have to play Origin and that should have you thanking god that we did sign him.

Last night was not a great night for attacking halves. Week before was his first game back from injury. He'll be fine.

88.Knights

Juniors
wasn't his injured foot his kicking foot anyway, if we weren't desperate with injuries woulda been good to get a couple of games in centurions or nyc if he still can- i reckons. But when havn't the knights been shot with injuries... not this millenium anyway.

Serc

First Grade
Too old for NYC...if he was still young enough for it I highly doubt we'd have signed him and he would still be with Saints!

But yes I think the ankle he injured is his right foot, so may explain a thing or too. Certainly keen to see how he goes over the next fortnight, will need him to play as well as he did at the start of the season!

TooheysNew

Coach
It's not really relevant which foot he injured - it'd still potentially be playing on his mind either way.

If he injured his kicking foot, he'd be worried about impact.
If he injured the other foot, he'd be concerned about it's stability, as it's meant to provide a platform from which to work.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
So I'm going to throw it out there right now. Who here thinks he has talent? Conversely, who thinks he's complete and utter rubbish? Or who is willing to give him time to get himself a) match fit and b) get his head in the right place coming back from his injuries?

Serc

First Grade
Hmm fair points Coby...not a very intelligent post of mine then was it :lol:

Jono078

Referee
For anyone who's read my previous posts they would know I definitely think he's got talent. I think he can be in the top 5 dominant halves in the game within a few years.

Serc

First Grade
Geez I thought I was a big fan of Henry until I read Jono's post, haha

Good on ya, I think he's got a helluva lot of potential too.

Injuries and a try-saving tackle boost Henry's hopes of filling the void
Robert Dillon
May 30, 2011

art-353-beau-henry-200x0.jpg

A bit rusty ... Knights playmaker Beau Henry. Photo: Darren Pateman

ROOKIE playmaker Beau Henry is determined to prove he can be Newcastle's go-to man during the indefinite absence of Jarrod Mullen - and for the long haul as well.
Injuries to Mullen (torn pectoral muscle), Ben Rogers (shoulder reconstruction) and teenager Tyrone Roberts (knee) have left Henry and skipper Kurt Gidley as Newcastle's last available recognised halves for next Monday's clash with Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval.
In his second game back from an ankle injury - and just the fifth of his fledgling NRL career - Henry had a mixed night in the 8-6 win against Parramatta on Saturday, making some elementary errors. But he also produced one of the most crucial plays of the match, in the 77th minute, when he impeded Chris Walker from grounding a Jarryd Hayne grubber kick, thereby preventing what would have been a match-turning try.
Henry said his two performances since overcoming his ankle injury ''haven't been my best games'' but added he was ready to take on more responsibility in Mullen's absence.
''We're definitely going to miss 'Mullo','' Henry said. ''He's a key bloke in our side, and he's been playing well for 10 weeks. It's time now for me and 'Gids' to step up and try and take over Mullo's job. I'm not going to be Jarrod Mullen … I'm just going to play my own game and build on it.''
There was speculation last week that Henry, who joined Newcastle this season from St George Illawarra, was on the outer with incoming coach Wayne Bennett. But the 21-year-old said he had paid those reports little attention.
''That was the first I'd heard of it, the other day,'' he said. ''I signed here for three years, and I know I'm here for three years. That's my goal at the moment, to try and stay in this team.''
Knights coach Rick Stone said Henry had been ''a little bit rusty'' in the past two games but, like any L-plater, he was still a work in progress. ''He's had a bit of time out of the game, and he was a little bit short of a gallop last week,'' Stone said. ''He was a little bit better this week but his decision-making was not where it needs to be, and he'd be the first to admit that.
''He's been a little bit rusty in his skills and his control of the game, and he's got plenty of room for improvement, but he's still in a learning stage of his career.''
Stone said his advice to Henry last week was to focus on football, and let his manager ''take care'' of any off-field issues.
Henry attributed his try-saving play to pre-match video analysis. ''We spoke about that during the week,'' he said. ''They tend to lose a bit of shape, and he [Walker] comes in looking for that kick. So we knew it was on, and if that had been a try, it would have been on my head, so I was pretty happy I stopped it.''
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/injuries-and-a-trysaving-tackle-boost-henrys-hopes-of-filling-the-void-20110529-1fav5.html