What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best player who achieved the least!

sting

Bench
Mat Head could have been brilliant had he stayed injury free.

Could you say Mundine? Vastly talented, won plenty of games for St George but never really did much else, no real rep honours to speak of and no premierships. (I don't count SL)

You could say the same for Blacklock really

Silent Knight

First Grade
Daniel Abraham. When I saw this guy coming up through the Knights junior ranks and make his FG debut in 2000 I thought he could be almost anything.

Provided excellent utility value off the bench and added significant punch to our forward pack. I saw the way he worked off BK's example and I believed he had state and national rep honours earmarked for the future. I thought City Country was just the beginning in 2003. He was brilliant for us in the 2001 Grand Final.

Sadly he suffered a series of horrific leg injuries and I doubt there wasn't a single Knights fan who didn't feel sorry for him sitting up in the stands watching his NRL career fade away. Abes not only had the natural talent to become one of the game's best backrowers but he had to work ethic and determination to boot. But Rugby League is a cruel game.

Mr Fourex

Bench
yes well, bullshit aside, he was a very good hooker in the 80's and made the transition to back row and front row quite well. Very unlucky to have played at a time when there was a glut of world class hookers in Australia.

Yep.....played the game hard and straight and above all else played with passion. I'm not sure if was ever the most gifted of footballers but one that more than made up for that by playing with guts and determination

and a healthy dose of fire.

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
The elderly man behind us in bay 14 at the SSF would like to contribute Wayne Challis, Spiro Strattos, Brad Tessman, Rob McClusky, Dennis Beecraft, Steve Deacon,Brad and Matt Burke,Justin Dooley,Brian Smith(the player),Frank Napoli,Darren Rameka, Robert Miles,Brad Tassel,Sandy Campbell :lol:

boonboon

Juniors
Jacin Sinclair - One of the most talented players I've ever seen but for personal reasons never kicked on

Matt Head - could have been great

Out of blokes currently playing I think John Sutton is prob the best example currently playing

nqcowboy87

Bench
sutton is a great current example, i remember back in 2005 his second year they where saying he could play for nsw and guide souths into another golden age, but apart from a couple of patches has largely been a passenger, he could be so good but

Moffo

Referee
Jacin Sinclair - One of the most talented players I've ever seen but for personal reasons never kicked on

Matt Head - could have been great

Out of blokes currently playing I think John Sutton is prob the best example currently playing

Sinclair was too busy getting a HJ off AJ

skeepe

Immortal
William Zillman. I've never seen a more talented junior ever. Those knee injuries have set his career back years, and he will probably never reach the heights that he should have.

Also Jermaine Ale. What a waste of talent.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
If you base it on comps/tourneys etc won.... hate to say it.... Stacey Jones :(

One of if not the best players for Kiwis ever, certainly the best Warrior, not too many trophies to show for it :(

eozsmiles

Bench
Paul Rauhihi. When your own halfback says you look like Tarzan but play like Jane, you're in trouble.

rednblack

Juniors
Adam Ritson. Parra workhorse until a routine scan following a high shot revealed the need for emergency brain surgery (to remove a massive tumor, if I remember correctly?). A very sad story. Obviously no fault of his own (being lazy on field etc.), but was just amazing to watch. Heart like Phar Lap's, and never a soft hit up. Could've been huge imo, if not for dumb luck (or good luck I guess, depending how you look at it!).

Meth

Staff member
No doubt in my mind, Remus Gentles. Best touch player in the world- could have been anything, but drugs got the best of him

Latest posts