What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The biggest signing in history

Who was the best player to ever swap clubs at their peak? (2 choices)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loudstrat

Coach
Given all the talk about Inglis signing with Souths being the biggest that club has ever had (incredible for a club that has won 19 premierships), I am wondering how he stacks up against the biggest signings in history?

To be fair, I have to lay some criteria. I am talking about signing a player at the peak of an outstanding career. I rule out the following:
1) A player taking the only real option left after being released by a club (eg Wally Lewis joining the Gold Coast in 1991
2) A player leaving a local comp to join a new team (eg Wally again joining the Broncos in 1988)
3) A player from overseas playing in the off season (eg Ellery Hanley with Balmain in 1988)
4) A young gun at the start of a huge future (eg Johnny Raper from Newtown to St George in 1968)
5) A legendary player in their twilight - past or at the end of their rep careers - eg Arthur Beetson to Parramatta in 1979)

Of the really big names I cannot find many, and some even are tainted with regret at the circumstances. I've listed what I have seen in my time.

Comments?

Deacon

First Grade
Sorry to be a kill joy, but not a player. Bennett to the Dragons easily our clubs biggest signing

Quigs

Immortal
Tommy Bishop to the Sharks.

Took them from nothings to a whisker of winning the 73 GF (bloody Fulton)

He made the Club.

Avenger

Immortal
I voted for Fulton and Fittler from that list however the most talked about recruitment would have to be the Canterbury 4 joining the Eels in 1997.

I voted Freddy. Burgess could find himself amongst this list at the end of his career. Too early to call it yet though

Latest posts