What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The biggest signing in history

Who was the best player to ever swap clubs at their peak? (2 choices)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quigs

Immortal
Do you know why Lurch was forced out of Souffs to join the silvertails.????

I'll tell you,

"We were given sandwiches to eat, while the (Souths Sydney) officials were all wining and dining themselves. We copped it sweet (1970) but the same thing happened the following year (Souths won the 1971 GF). By this stage I had had it. I blew my top and I belted a couple of the old officials right there in the club. Next thing I was on the open market."

courtesy of Tony Adams great book The Hitmen - A tribute to League's tough guys.

Here is a link to the NRL's tribute to Lurch O'Neil (how many weeks would these guys get for this in todays game)

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
I'd also nominate Stephen Kearney Auckland Warriors to Melbourne Storm 1999. We sign the youngest player to ever captain the Kiwis and we win a premiership in the same year.

Eels Dude

Coach
Has to be Fitler for mine. Steve Price going to the Warriors was an equally if not better signing than Civo too IMO. And I'll probably get a hammering for suggesting this, but if we're talking up players in their prime when Brett Kimmorley left Melbourne for the Northern Eagles he was holding Joey out of origin and test jerseys.

Has to be Fitler for mine. Steve Price going to the Warriors was an equally if not better signing than Civo too IMO. And I'll probably get a hammering for suggesting this, but if we're talking up players in their prime when Brett Kimmorley left Melbourne for the Northern Eagles he was holding Joey out of origin and test jerseys.

Thanks, wasn't trying to forget about that ever happening or anything.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I found these were pretty successful at more than one club

Terry Lamb Wests Canterbury 1984

Michael O'Connor St George Manly 1987

Les Davidson Souths Cronulla 1991

Ken Irvine Norths Manly 1971

Billy Wilson St George Norths 1963

Tom Mooney Souths Manly 1975

Harold Horder Souths Norths 1920

Sid Goodwin Balmain Newtown 1943

Frank Hyde Newtown Balmain 1938 *(forced) then to Norths 1942

Phil Blake Manly Souths 1987

Steve Edge St George Parramatta 1980

Loudy, I can't believe you forgot about Steve Edge? The guy's a legend at 2 clubs.

anjado

Juniors
I am going to nominate Adrian Morley. Freddy was already there for 5 years when he arrived they had made one Grand Final appearance in 2000 when Brisbane were so far ahead of the rest it didn't matter who they played.

Roosters in the Fittler and Gould years had some tremendous players lets face it they basically bought every decent player on the market. But there forwards were considered to be too soft and they constantly came up short when it mattered.

Morley after a slow start in his first season and arguably the first half of 2002, Really came into his own at the end of that season. The Roosters had the most feared defence and forward pack from about 2002-2004. With Morley the Roosters were the ones who were dominating teams in the forwards and in defence.

For me he is the best signing made by any club in the past 10 years.

I also want to give a special mention to Chris Mortimer & Peter Kelly who helped Penrith become a hardened finals football team which helped us win our first premiership.

I will also nomintate Gavin Miller and i think someone nailed it with Terry Lamb.

Zelig96

Juniors
This thread reminds me of the old "story" about the local church at the Corso in Manly during the 70's.

They put up one of those religious messages saying "What would you do if Jesus came to Manly this weekend ?"

Some wag scrawled underneath: "Move Bobby Fulton to the centres and play Jesus at 5/8".

That would have been some signing, even for Arko.

Azkatro

First Grade
Do you know why Lurch was forced out of Souffs to join the silvertails.????

I'll tell you,

"We were given sandwiches to eat, while the (Souths Sydney) officials were all wining and dining themselves. We copped it sweet (1970) but the same thing happened the following year (Souths won the 1971 GF). By this stage I had had it. I blew my top and I belted a couple of the old officials right there in the club. Next thing I was on the open market."

courtesy of Tony Adams great book The Hitmen - A tribute to League's tough guys.

Here is a link to the NRL's tribute to Lurch O'Neil (how many weeks would these guys get for this in todays game)

Can you imagine throwing him on against today's powder puffs?

mongoose

Coach
I can't beleive no one has mentioned Mal Meninga to the Raiders in 1986. I guess no one cared back then as he came from the Brisbane comp.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I can't beleive no one has mentioned Mal Meninga to the Raiders in 1986. I guess no one cared back then as he came from the Brisbane comp.

The original idea was that they were sucessful at one NRL or NSWRL club to go and be successful at another.

Loudstrat

Coach
Stacey Jones to the Warriors in 2009 tbh.
He was WELL past it!

Certainly the most important signing.

Wasn't Bob Fulton past his best and injury plagued when he signed with Easts?
He was current premiership winner and test skipper when he went. 77 He was injury plagued but he led the 78 Roo tour. He was bought to partner Beetson to make the potentially best ball playiung side ever, but Beetson was injured for many of those years and far more past his best than Fulton

I found these were pretty successful at more than one club

Terry Lamb Wests Canterbury 1984

Michael O'Connor St George Manly 1987

Les Davidson Souths Cronulla 1991

Ken Irvine Norths Manly 1971

Billy Wilson St George Norths 1963

Tom Mooney Souths Manly 1975

Harold Horder Souths Norths 1920

Sid Goodwin Balmain Newtown 1943

Frank Hyde Newtown Balmain 1938 *(forced) then to Norths 1942

Phil Blake Manly Souths 1987

Steve Edge St George Parramatta 1980

Loudy, I can't believe you forgot about Steve Edge? The guy's a legend at 2 clubs.

The point of the exercise is to pinpoint top class Test standard players changing clubs during their peak years. None of those you listed bar Horder and Hyde (Wilson was 36 when he joined Norths). All good signings though

LESStar58

Referee
This thread reminds me of the old "story" about the local church at the Corso in Manly during the 70's.

They put up one of those religious messages saying "What would you do if Jesus came to Manly this weekend ?"

Some wag scrawled underneath: "Move Bobby Fulton to the centres and play Jesus at 5/8".

That would have been some signing, even for Arko.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: