What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Black Hole

zombie jesus

Staff member
Good test this week, the Steelers aren't an elite D but they've still managed to somehow hold the Pats, Bengals and Cardinals to their lowest scores this season.

shiznit

Coach
Charles Woodson announces his retirement at the end of the season...

Headed to the HOF for sure...

Pretty awesome that he's going to go out as a pro bowler... And deservedly too... He's been awesome this season.

I think he could go another 2 or 3 seasons.

shiznit

Coach
image.jpg

Raiders' Charles Woodson to retire after 2015 season

Charles Woodson will leave the NFL playing as well as he did upon entering the league 17 years ago.
The Oakland Raiders safety announced Monday evening that he will retire after the 2015 season.

"2015 is going to be my last season playing in the NFL," Woodson said. "Was it a tough decision? Kind of in a way. But a couple weeks ago it hit me that this would be it. It's important for me to let Raider Nation know now."

One of the most versatile, talented and productive defensive backs in NFL history, Woodson was a three-time first-team All Pro at cornerback for the Raiders and Green Bay Packers before successfully converting to safety in his twilight years.

After edging Peyton Manning out for the Heisman Trophy as a rare "two-way player" at the college level, the former Michigan star earned NFL Rookie of the Year honors as the defensive equivalent to fellow first-year phenom Randy Moss in 1998.

"When he learns more about technique," then-Rams receivers coach Al Saunders said at the time, "he has a chance to be one of the best to ever play the position."

Saunders' evaluation was prescient. Named to the All-2000s Team by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Woodson peaked as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year with the Packers in a 2009 season which featured nine interceptions and three touchdowns.

"He's fearless," former Buccaneers quarterback Trent Dilfer told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver back in a 1999 feature for Sports Illustrated. "There are certain guys you play against who act like they're the best guy on the field. He's one who went out and backed it up."

Few defensive backs have compiled a stronger dossier than Woodson, who is sixth on the all time interceptions list with 65 and is tied for the most career defensive touchdowns with 13.

Although he was bona fide star upon stepping foot in the NFL, Woodson is notable for authoring one of most accomplished post-30 careers we've seen from any defensive player.

It's incredible in hindsight that Woodson spent eight weeks on the free agent market in 2006 after breaking his leg during the 2005 season. At that point, it seemed inconceivable that he would eventually be regarded as a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Woodson is one of the few players ever to play in a Pro Bowl in three different decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s). He's a veritable lock to return for his ninth career trip after a stellar Indian summer season that includes five interceptions, an NFL-high three fumble recoveries and the Defensive Player of the Month award for October.

Prior to Week 5, Woodson lamented that he never intercepted a pass from Manning -- the player who was drafted three slots higher in 1998. The 39-year-old safety proceeded to pick off a pair of passes from the 39-year-old quarterback in a defining performance.

"It's been an incredible career man," Woodson said Monday night. "It goes beyond words. You know I never intended on playing as long as I have. But it's the way that it has happened."
from: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...b-charles-woodson-to-retire-after-2015-season

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Charles Woodson announces his retirement at the end of the season...

Headed to the HOF for sure...

Pretty awesome that he's going to go out as a pro bowler... And deservedly too... He's been awesome this season.

I think he could go another 2 or 3 seasons.

Great player who as you say could go on for another few years.

Mack, Woodson and Reece in the Pro Bowl. Good stuff. Gone are the days that Shane Lechler is our only representative.

shiznit

Coach
Derek Carr has been selected for the Pro Bowl.

I know it's as an alternate... But how long has it been since we had a QB make the pro bowl??

Would have to go back to Rich Gannon days you would think...

image.jpg

Bump.

Going by Shiznits post in the rumour thread the Raiders are shaping up for a good year.

I'm hoping they have a good one and crunch some teams along the way.

shiznit

Coach
images

Great to see the snake finally inducted... Just sad he wasn't able to receive it himself...

Even though I never got to watch the snake play... as a raiders fan I'm well aware of his legend...

shiznit

Coach
The Raiders Stadium project in Las Vegas has passed its first big hurdle getting recommendation for $750M of public funding.

It now needs to get approval from the governor and state legislators before obviously going to the owners for a vote.

Those last 2 hurdles are still massive...

But who knows... The Las Vegas Raiders are looking more and more likely.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/id/13

My preference is for the Raiders to stay in Oakland.

But if that isn't possible, then I'm stoked that it's Vegas. My favourite city in America.

skeepe

Immortal
My preference is for the Raiders to stay in Oakland.

But if that isn't possible, then I'm stoked that it's Vegas. My favourite city in America.
I hope they stay.

Purely selfish reasons, I often get sent to San Francisco for work and those trips remain my best chance of going to another game.