What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Chad

The Tele has done a great managers job on the Chad to Cowboys story. I'll take some snippets and dissect them.

"Halfback Chad Townsend is poised to shock Cronulla by signing a two or three-year deal with North Queensland in a move which would end any chance of South Sydney’s Adam Reynolds heading to Townsville.
Townsend has decided against activating a contract clause in his favour for next season."

Which really reads as. Cronulla has shocked Townsend by telling him that he won't be playing as the first string half back next year. Adam Reynolds was never heading up north, hence why they had to make a play for Chad.

"North Queensland will sign Townsend with the money saved through the medical retirement of Michael Morgan.

The Daily Telegraph has been told North Queensland want to partner Townsend and Brisbane’s Tom Dearden in their halves from next season.

Cowboys’ officials had contacted Reynolds’ manager, Steve Gillis, to express a preliminary interest in the Rabbitohs halfback.

No offer had been lodged but the Cowboys were keen to discuss whether Reynolds would entertain a shift to far north Queensland should he quit Redfern after this season.

North Queensland has now changed their plans."

Cowboys sounded out Reynolds and he said "no chance". Hence why they knew Chad was on the market.

"There is continuing speculation Brisbane may have a nibble at signing Reynolds.

The Broncos continue to struggle with their halves this season and have held internal discussions about Reynolds.
There is continuing speculation Brisbane may have a nibble at signing Reynolds."

Not one mention of Reynolds joining the Sharks. There is to be no positive spin on the Sharks whatsoever whilst their Sports Editor has been sent to purgatory.

"Aged 30, Townsend is a Cronulla junior who helped steer the club to its historic and inaugural NRL premiership win in 2016.

Well-placed sources indicate Townsend’s expected move north may be formally announced on Wednesday.

Townsend is also expected to have a meeting with in-coming Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon this week.

Townsend has told friends the offer from North Queensland would give him long-term financial security."

Putting the feelers out to death ride Cronulla as a club with no soul for letting a junior go. Watch this space after the signing is announced.
Expected to meet with Fitzgibbon, so are they saying that there has been no conversation on Chad's future yet at the Sharks?????? hahaha. O....K
Told friends that he's been told that he will be playing for Newtown if he stays, and that's not good for his brand.
Not a hatchet job, but definitely they are lining one up. Ritchie is Buzz's bitch.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/ae1f670f25bafdcf37801ec27ee53bfd

Tiger Shark

Bench
Dearden and Chad seems like an odd pairing. I would think Drinkwater and Chad would be better but who cares it’s the Cowboys. Fug em

If you jump on the Cowboys forum they are not excited about this what so ever hahaha.

Weaponhead

Coach
I'm happy to see the back of Chad if it happens but I warn you all not to be too happy as good halfbacks are hard to replace. We struggled after Noddy left with the simple things that Chad does very well. Even though I was very glad to see the back of him, these are the realities of the game that people choose to ignore.

We are only just approaching our possible best run on side this year, that's when Chad disappears into the background and plays his % game. I hope he stays for this season and doesn't get swapped with Thurston, he hasn't played a game in ages and I hate his laugh.
Fair perspective. Moving Chad on is part of the equation. Replacing him with someone significantly better who can lift the team into contention is the other part and is harder to do. Reynolds is the obvious choice but that deal has to be done.

The moves the club is making are full of intent so it is logical to keep backing them. Its odd seeing Cronulla being so ruthless. Keep it up.

Tiger Shark

Bench
How quick will the narrative change if we sign Reynolds. Goes from Chad quitting the club to Chad being not needed.

They're trying to get in a few cheap shots before it's too late.

Weaponhead

Coach
How quick will the narrative change if we sign Reynolds. Goes from Chad quitting the club to Chad being not needed.

They're trying to get in a few cheap shots before it's too late.

Media is a childrens pantomime play. Always has to have good guys and bad guys to get an emotional reaction, hence clicks.

Cowboys fan here.

I understand you guys are happy to see the back of him.

We don't need a complete player, we just need someone with a decent kicking game who can organise the troops. We have no direction and nobody who can kick at the moment.

How does he go on those fronts?

Solid kicking game and troop organisation. Dependable 7/10 player. Wants to take on leadership roles. He's no JT, but then again who is? Works damn hard to get to compensate for not being a natural flashy type.

Weaponhead

Coach
Cowboys fan here.

I understand you guys are happy to see the back of him.

We don't need a complete player, we just need someone with a decent kicking game who can organise the troops. We have no direction and nobody who can kick at the moment.

How does he go on those fronts?
He will help the Cows go from bottom 4 to mid table by organising them and ensuring the game plan is executed reasonably. He won't take you further than that unless there are exceptional players in the other spine positions who can consistently create. His long kicking game is average but consistent. His short kicking game has been good.

He won't be any issue off the field. Will train hard and try to lead.

The player exodus begins eh Buzz. lucky it’s the “so so” players.
And my “so so” rating is only applied due to being our only premiership winning halfback. Otherwise my rating would not pass the censors

Ozzi_78

First Grade
It makes his meeting with Fitz very easy and quick.

Goes like this...

CF Chad mate you can take the option up on low coin but I can’t guarantee you a spot. What have the cowboys offered?
CT ok yeah well they have offered me $600 plus per year....
CF you really should go Chad.
CT ok I will.

Done

Inferno

Coach
If he goes and we don't get Reynolds what are our options? SJ? Trindall? Who else is off contract?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I kinda don’t want him to go this year. I want to start fresh next year. Not like Reynolds comes this year.

I've got to congratulate Chad's management.
The writing was on the wall so they jumped at a gig that everyone else was messing with and got their boy a deal that he would not get anywhere else. Kudos