What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Children Overboard issue develops

Snoop

Coach
^ Pando said:
Are lie detector tests considered as conclusive evidence in a court of law?

If they are allowed as evidence I'm pretty sure the judge would instruct the jury to not accept the results as conclusive.

^ Pando

retired
ibeme said:
Jenny McKenry is not a lie detector test. She was the head of defence public affairs at the time.

Your last post mentioned Crafton, not McKenry. If you weren't talking about his lie detector test, I apologise.

ibeme

First Grade
^ Pando said:
ibeme said:
Jenny McKenry is not a lie detector test. She was the head of defence public affairs at the time.

Your last post mentioned Crafton, not McKenry. If you weren't talking about his lie detector test, I apologise.

McKenry has backed up Scrafton's claims, in addition to a lie detector test.

ibeme

First Grade
millersnose said:
Mckenry spoke to the PM as well?

Scrafton told her the morning after he'd spoken to the PM that he'd told the PM the truth. Sounds reasonable doesn't it? I bet you'd be telling everyone you knew if you had a conversation with the PM

Tighthead

Scrafton told her the morning after he'd spoken to the PM that he'd told the PM the truth. Sounds reasonable doesn't it? I bet you'd be telling everyone you knew if you had a conversation with the PM

If we look at this from an evidentiary perspective, all we have so far is one man's word against anothers. The burden of proof is on Scrafton to prove, on the balance of probabilities, that he spoke to the PM that day and told him what he did. As the lie detector test is inadmissible, and McKenry's evidence is nothing but hearsay, Scrafton doesn't have a lot to go on.

Of course, public opinion is not a court of law.

ibeme

First Grade
Tighthead said:

If we look at this from an evidentiary perspective, all we have so far is one man's word against anothers. The burden of proof is on Scrafton to prove, on the balance of probabilities, that he spoke to the PM that day and told him what he did. As the lie detector test is inadmissible, and McKenry's evidence is nothing but hearsay, Scrafton doesn't have a lot to go on.

Of course, public opinion is not a court of law.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10486351%5E421,00.html

Could be more evidence to come. I doubt Latham would want the gag lifted if they thought it would prove Howard wasn't lying.

With an inquiry now likely, Opposition Leader Mark Latham on Tuesday demanded Mr Howard cancel a Cabinet directive that prevents key ministerial staff from telling their versions of events.

"If the Prime Minister has got nothing to hide, he'll take the gag off today and have open and accountable government for the benefit of the Australian people," he said.

Mr Latham was referring to senior advisers who witnessed Mr Howard's telephone conversations with Mr Scrafton on November 7, 2001 - one month after the alleged children overboard incident and three days before the election.

andrew flap

Bench
I'd doubt Howard would lift the gag but, if by some miracle he did, it would certainly go a ways to resolving this most contentious issue one way or the other.

Still, the speculation can't be doing Mr Howard much good. At the very least, he is defending himself in the news and not selling the Govt's agenda.

_Johnsy

Referee
If that is the case shire what does he have to lose. If he takes the test and passes, well there you go a big, big boost before the election. If he fails, well we all know the consequences. It makes no sense whatsoever if he is not lying, not to take the test.

Jimbo

Immortal
As Prime Minister Howard said recently, these gimmicks are a waste of everyone's time. Especially as there is not a court in the country which would allow them as evidence

^ Pando

retired
The leader of a country taking a lie detector test after every allegation is ludicrous in the extreme.

Anonymous

Juniors
millersnose said:
willow

a short time ago you posted that red cross investigation was underway to investigate allawi murdering prisoners
Get it right.

I concluded that others were urging that the Red Cross investigate. I also said their nature, the Red Cross don't usually 'investigate' such things, they normally file reports.

And it's not relevant to the discussion.

Just because you have your gimps backing you up doesn't make it more relevant.

Here are the facts as we know them:

No children were thrown overboard according to the Commander of the HMAS Adelaide.

This is something even the PM eventually had to concede. Albeit some way down the track.

It was all too much for ShireShark who seems to have a severe case of logic overboard.

The question is did Howard know about it before he made his initial children overboard comments?

According to Scrafton, he did.

Latest posts