What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Choke

Big Pete

Referee
This is why Bennett was making such a huge fuss mid-season, he knew how big an effect it would have on his team later in the year.

little_aza

Juniors
Storm 50-0 next week

Either that or it might be a close game that storm win and the optimists will still say 'there are positives to take out of the loss'

Don't jump to conclusions - there's no way that will happen. We're without (Maurice) Blair, O'Neill and most importantly Cronk. Last time we were without one of the 'Big 3' in a big game the scoreline was 40-0. The Dragons have such a strong rivalry with us - both sides always lift. If the Dragons lift more, it'll be a good contest.

Bennett teams always seem to suffer the 'Bennett Slide'. I guess this is how Brisbane supports often felt in years past: benchmark for 2/3 of the season, heartbreak until next March. But this could be like Bennett's team in 2006 - they lost 6 of the last 8 before playing the Storm in Round 22. I remember the media was saying Brisbane was in crisis, and they had a closed training session. Brisbane then played Melbourne at Suncorp and played a very good game - arguably the better team even though they lost. This kick-started their season, and they went on to score 180-58, and then played Melbourne again...and we all know what happened then.

Anyway, my point is - it isn't over yet for the Dragons. If they turn the corner before playing Melbourne, they're back in it (even if they lose, but play well). I'm not writing them off yet - they have too much talent. But if they capitulate, it's probably a little too late.

Dragon

Coach
It was shaping as the match of the season Aza, very disappointing for both sets of fans. Two full strength sides at top form would've been awesome, but the rot has well and truly set in for us.

johns_reds

First Grade
as i mentioned over in the gam spoiler thread, this team reminds me more of broncos 2007, the year after they also one a premiership, they limped into the finals and got smashed week 1 of the finals by melbourne.

Evenflow

Bench
It will be a close game on Friday night...there will be no blow out IMO. Bennett will be ready for this game and Storm will be without Cronk.

As amusing as watching the Stains implode i've actually been thinking the same thing. I can really see them lifting against us, especially without Coops and while i think we should still sneak a win i don't think it'll be a any great margin.

AuDragon

Juniors
as i mentioned over in the gam spoiler thread, this team reminds me more of broncos 2007, the year after they also one a premiership, they limped into the finals and got smashed week 1 of the finals by melbourne.
This^^^^

Very typical of Bennett coached teams, even more so that he is now leaving and taking Boyd with him, while the Gasnier factor has made their resolve worse, if anything. Still a team to be wary of, way too much talent to underestimate!

AuDragon

Juniors
As amusing as watching the Stains implode i've actually been thinking the same thing. I can really see them lifting against us, especially without Coops and while i think we should still sneak a win i don't think it'll be a any great margin.
Any idea how long Cronk is out for?

Spot On

Coach
Don't jump to conclusions - there's no way that will happen. We're without (Maurice) Blair, O'Neill and most importantly Cronk. Last time we were without one of the 'Big 3' in a big game the scoreline was 40-0. The Dragons have such a strong rivalry with us - both sides always lift. If the Dragons lift more, it'll be a good contest.

Bennett teams always seem to suffer the 'Bennett Slide'. I guess this is how Brisbane supports often felt in years past: benchmark for 2/3 of the season, heartbreak until next March. But this could be like Bennett's team in 2006 - they lost 6 of the last 8 before playing the Storm in Round 22. I remember the media was saying Brisbane was in crisis, and they had a closed training session. Brisbane then played Melbourne at Suncorp and played a very good game - arguably the better team even though they lost. This kick-started their season, and they went on to score 180-58, and then played Melbourne again...and we all know what happened then.

Anyway, my point is - it isn't over yet for the Dragons. If they turn the corner before playing Melbourne, they're back in it (even if they lose, but play well). I'm not writing them off yet - they have too much talent. But if they capitulate, it's probably a little too late.

I'd be worried if Smith was out. Not the other two.

AuDragon

Juniors
I'd be worried if Smith was out. Not the other two.
Smith is the lynchpin at the Storm, without him they become ordinary.

I am yet to see what influence the loss of Cronk will be, as they have had an incredible lucky run with none of their stars getting a serious injury in several years.

_Johnsy

Referee
Very disappointing.

The bottom line is if we are good enough, we'll get the job done. If not well so be it, & congrats to the side who were good enough to get the job done when it mattered.

Some people need to calm down a bit because if you get in to the finals series anything can happen, I wouldn't be throwing the season is over stuff around today.

If you're Melbourne, Manly or Brisbane I can't imagine you'd be happy to play St George at all.

LatK7

First Grade
Seems choke is now the token word for a St. George loss/slump, etc. Not a choke...but probably worse!