What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The coach.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Sounds more like two plus two equaling 5 from that article.

One of the dumbest most damaging moves in Warriors history would be to have a fourth coach in 3 seasons. Every time a new coach comes in they clear out the players they don't rate. Coaches never agree on players so when you have a merry go round with coaches way too many players slip through the cracks.

ozbash

Referee
could have been, given half a chance.

now the guy is a grease monkey in Silverdale and has been put off coaching, for ever..

Iafeta

Referee
No he hasnt. He's still coaching. At under 13s. I heard they lost. Wasn't surprised.

We also of course had John Monie. In retrospect, did we pull the trigger on him too early? Punting Elliott would be a poor idea. There finally seems To be far superior attacking structures an unless Jerome plays centre, teas aren't waltzing sound us. It's now the confidence of a winnig culture that is ruthless for 80 minutes they need to develop.

Scott

Bench
Wane is being bought over as an assistant. Nothing sinister going on.

Wane's wife & Tomkin's mother were both flown over last week to check Auckland out etc...

Diesel

Referee
I like what Elliott has done thus far restructuring and using the Vulcans more so.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did step aside at some stage to become a director of coaching or something. McFaddin is supposed to have come with some wraps as well

Diesel

Referee
Wane is being bought over as an assistant. Nothing sinister going on.

Wane's wife & Tomkin's mother were both flown over last week to check Auckland out etc...

I must have skipped over it when it was announced. Sounds like the Tomkins thing is looking good and it can't hurt having another assistant.

Have Wigan and the Warriors got a sister agreement type thing or is it just Bell's influence?

ozbash

Referee
No he hasnt. He's still coaching. At under 13s. I heard they lost. Wasn't surprised.

We also of course had John Monie. In retrospect, did we pull the trigger on him too early? Punting Elliott would be a poor idea. There finally seems To be far superior attacking structures an unless Jerome plays centre, teas aren't waltzing sound us. It's now the confidence of a winnig culture that is ruthless for 80 minutes they need to develop.

no he's not. He was asked to coach the Hibiscus Coast Raiders and shied away..

you will be waiting a long time for a winning culture to develop under the present coaching administration

Rich102

Staff member
McClennan is to coach the EXiles:

England will aim to take revenge on Brian McClennan in this summer's Exiles match after the former Leeds and New Zealand coach accepted the offer to take charge of the representative team drawn from the overseas players employed in the Super League for the second time in three years.
McClennan steered the Exiles to a 16-12 win when they first faced England at Headingley in 2011, then handed control to the former St Helens coach Daniel Anderson when two matches were played last year, with the International Origin series drawn 1-1.
That expansion backfired as both England and the Exiles made numerous changes for the second fixture, so there will only be one game played this year, at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington on 14 June. It will have greater importance to England as it will be their toughest challenge ahead of the World Cup at the end of the season.
"The Origin game is a fantastic concept and with the World Cup on the horizon, this year's match is going to have more riding on it than ever before," said McClennan, who left Leeds at the end of the 2010 season and had an unhappy spell in charge of the New Zealand Warriors.
"I had a great time two years ago, it was a lot of fun for everyone involved with the Exiles and I'm looking forward to replicating the spirit we had in camp in 2011."
McClennan believes that he can still pull together a strong side, despite the decline in the quality and quantity of overseas imports to the Super League in recent years as a result of the growing financial strength of the National Rugby League in Australia and New Zealand.
Huddersfield, who are three points clear at the top of the table after seven rounds, included only two overseas players in their 17-man squad against Hull last Saturday. But Warrington, who host the Giants in the pick of the three matches on Friday night, will still offer rich pickings for McClennan.
Trent Waterhouse returns from injury against Huddersfield to join another former Australia international Joel Monaghan and his elder brother Michael in the Wolves team with Brett Hodgson, the veteran full-back who captained the Exiles last year, at full-back.
Wakefield are still missing their Australian playmaker Tim Smith, but have McClennan's old Kiwi mate Ali Lauitiiti back after injury against his old club Leeds. St Helens have four more former New Zealand internationals – Sia Soliola, Francis Meli, Tony Puletua and Lance Hohaia – in their squad for the visit of Salford, as well as the Australian props Josh Perry and Anthony Laffranchi, and Tonga's Willie Manu. So McClennan should still have plenty of options, and England will be braced for quite a test.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/21/england-brian-mcclennan-exiles

ozbash

Referee
yea, that's the same article we got in our local rag here in Rodney.

He certainly took a hit at the Warriors and I hope his talent isn't wasted as a result. That article Rich put up about the Exiles team is promising, hopefully he has had time to reconsider his options.

"Not a bad game eh," he said. "Better than a Warriors one, I'd say."

still a bit bitter...

jaseg

Juniors
This season was never directly about results per se, last season was so bad we just needed to recover.

Matt Elliott seems to be doing a damn fine job so far. If he gets the sack before the end of the season I would seriously reconsider following the team (and by extension the sport) as closely as I currently do. That's the kind of rubbish that would be seriously disillusioning.

Hopefully it is just as an assistant-type thing.

ozbash

Referee
Matt Elliott seems to be doing a damn fine job so far.

I don't think he is, 2/8 is nothing to write home about.

sure, we are improving, but so are 15 other teams from rd 1

Rich102

Staff member
The difference is that the players now appear to be making some effort.

Aragorn

First Grade
The difference is that the players now appear to be making some effort.

Players were making an effort for 2/3 of last season as well. And after a lot of close games they feel off a clift . I recall it was the game against Manly that triggered the collasp. After that, the shit hit the fan and there was no looking back.

will history repeat or have we learnt from it?

time will tell.

jaseg

Juniors
I don't think he is, 2/8 is nothing to write home about.

sure, we are improving, but so are 15 other teams from rd 1

Extremely close results against each of the top 3 plus a game we really should have won against Canberra, but got nothing from the refs all night. Up until last week we were the best 16th placed team (in terms of form as well as on paper) I can remember, ever - by a distance.

Not to mention that we have actually looked like making progress each week - something that was never seen last year. Bluey inherited a grand final team and stuffed it up (and never learned from his mistakes), while Elliott inherited a team who had forgotten how to win (and started the season with a ridiculous injury list) and has been steadily turning them around. Better still - Elliott has shown a willingness to use the Vulcans as a legitimate development option.

I had a very low opinion of Matt Elliott's ability before the season started. That's changing.

Back the man is all I can say (again), I think people will start realizing how valuable Mathew Elliot is very soon. We always pull through as a club that is why we all come here to get abused week in week out. Love my club and will back Elliot 150%

Rich102

Staff member
Back the man is all I can say (again), I think people will start realizing how valuable Mathew Elliot is very soon. We always pull through as a club that is why we all come here to get abused week in week out. Love my club and will back Elliot 150%

Damn right!

Diesel

Referee
He inherited a mess and except for the first game vs Eels and the ambush from the Sharks in round 3, our games have been competitive. There have been 2 games where we were in a winning position and lost and a game last weekend where it appeared they took the foot off the peddle and nearly f'ed up, I'm sure ME will be reminding them its an 80 minute game this week

playdaball

Bench
www.sportal.com.au

Elliott facing the chop
Warriors coach Matthew Elliott needs to watch his back - from an unexpected direction. I'm hearing mail that the Warriors have sounded out Wigan coach Shaun Wane as a potential replacement for Elliott should the Warriors continue to struggle. Wane is best mates with senior Warriors official Dean Bell and is also very close to Wigan star Sam Tomkins, who is close to signing with the Kiwi club. Interestingly, Wane's wife visited New Zealand this week. Hmmmmm…

I'd say not to replace ME but to work with him.If (actually when) Ackland goes ... maybe Henry to the 20s leaving a 'gap' for Wane?