What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The coach.

Blair

Coach
A 22 percent win/loss success rate would put any professional coach under pressure unless the hierarchy have a long term plan in place.

Who would even think that our current executive management have anything but beyond next week in their strategic sights?

Sticky might be looking for work soon, he'll turn us around quickly.

2/9

f**king useless..

You've been waiting to say that all year. So what next? Elliott goes?

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
If Elliot goes, some of those top honcho idiots we have, have to as well. The coach cannot continue to be the sole scapegoat for a poor underperforming team that reall has been doing that for years.

Bluey bitter? I don't blame him. Yes, last year was a mess, but for him to be the sole scapegoat is disgraceful. There is one common name in the background for a while now when bad decisions are made, and that is Scurrah. If they are going to shaft Elliot so early, he has to get his marching orders as well.

IMO Elliot should be left to it atm, there seems to be some real improvement in the last few weeks despite the results, he needs at least the year to see what he can do, and if there is distinct improvement through the year a second year as well. You just can't keep chopping and changing the coach and expect miracle turn arounds.

ozbash

Referee
You've been waiting to say that all year. So what next? Elliot goes?

well, it kinda proves to me (not that I actually need proof) that the problem at the club wasn't Bluey (waits for the derision from certain ex-pats) and to be perfectly honest, I don't think the problem is ME, either.

Bluey was a scapegoat last year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Elliot became a paddock-mate....

ozbash

Referee
www.sportal.com.au

Elliott facing the chop
Warriors coach Matthew Elliott needs to watch his back - from an unexpected direction. I'm hearing mail that the Warriors have sounded out Wigan coach Shaun Wane as a potential replacement for Elliott should the Warriors continue to struggle. Wane is best mates with senior Warriors official Dean Bell and is also very close to Wigan star Sam Tomkins, who is close to signing with the Kiwi club. Interestingly, Wane's wife visited New Zealand this week. Hmmmmm?

I'd say not to replace ME but to work with him.If (actually when) Ackland goes ... maybe Henry to the 20s leaving a 'gap' for Wane?

read this a week or so ago and thought bullshit.

not so sure now, no smoke without fire.

Benek

Juniors
I can't believe we're considering dropping Elliott. I think it will take some time to repair the damage Bluey did to the club. Given the effort and improvement we've had since the beginning of the seasons, I'd say Elliott is doing a decent enough job of pointing the club in the right direction. The problem is that they still have a habit of finding ways to lose games that is a carry over from last year. Once they drop that habit they are only a few steps off from being a really strong team.

ozbash

Referee
I can't believe we're considering dropping Elliott. I think it will take some time to repair the damage Bluey did to the club. Given the effort and improvement we've had since the beginning of the seasons, I'd say Elliott is doing a decent enough job of pointing the club in the right direction. The problem is that they still have a habit of finding ways to lose games that is a carry over from last year. Once they drop that habit they are only a few steps off from being a really strong team.

crap mate

2/9

LeftRightOut

Juniors
Matt Elliot won't be going anywhere - regardless of the results thus far, the poor decisions and concentration lapses are not the fault of the coach, and I have every confidence in him and his processes - after last year's shambles, 2013 was always going to be a rebuild year for us.
To shunt Elliot now would a colossal mistake -I think some of us need to be a little more rational and realistic.
Sure, Bluey wasn't on the paddock during 2012 but I think most of us can agree that as much as we wanted the fella to succeed, he never was a week-in, week-out NRL coach. His Leeds success was on the back of an already successful team, and his Kiwi glories were one-off matches to which his passion and motivational attributes are/were suited.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Given Shaun Wane learnt his trade under Michael Maguire, you would hope he has learnt a few tricks from that coaching style. Wouldn't be a bad coach to get, and if Elliot was happy to move into a football manager role for the rest of his time, I think it could be a win win situation for you guys.

Diesel

Referee
Elliott originally wanted 1 year but management gave 2.

McFadden and Wane are two well regarded coaches

ozenzud

Juniors
I am/was a strong Cleary fan. But I wanted Bluey to do well. But go back and think about the decisions that Bluey made last year. There wasn't many people saying, "genius". Most were along the lines of "WTF?"

All coaches need time to put their systems in place, understand the players and to work out the best way to get results out of the players.

With Bluey, the longer the season went, the worse it got. It was painfully obvious that they he had lost the dressing shed. The Warriors HAD to sack him. They simply had no choice.

It was also obvious that Elliot has a much, much better idea of the technicalities needed for league in 2013. He has a knowledgible staff and systems in place.

Elliot's team say they were shocked at how unfit the warriors were in October when he came on board. Might be himself setting up, but I think we can see that it might be a little true.

It is easy to see that Elliot is getting close to making this team win. He has a plan to beat every team and the Warriors are going close. I don't think we can blame the coach when the players are loosing by narrow margins on the back on the wrong side of every 50/50 call (cept Johnsons Titans try and guess what we won that one).

ozbash

Referee
It was also obvious that Elliot has a much, much better idea of the technicalities needed for league in 2013. He has a knowledgible staff and systems in place.

:sarcasm:

2/9

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
2/9 is one better than the last 9 games before Elliot took over, and I'd guess the +/- is significantly improved. If you take out the first three weeks which were undeniably shit, we've been reasonable for a team in a rebuilding stage. I'm prepared to give them another month before making judgement, if they can start turning the close losses into close wins, then I'll be happy.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
lol

number cruncher...

You're the one who seems to be obsessed with numbers. Look the fact is your love child Bluey f**ked things up at the Warriors. Probably wasn't 100% his fault, but he had to go when he did and the team was a f**king mess at the end of the season when Elliot took over. Judging him with less than half a season under his belt would be ridiculous. Look at Cleary at Penrith- he's hardly turned that team around overnight has he, but I don't hear them baying for his blood, it's widely acknowledged that turing a team around takes time. Can't say Bennett's exactly working miracles at the Knights either.

Scott

Bench
My 2 cents -

When Bluey was signed in 2011, he had it all set up for him. The FG side had played in the Grand Final, the Under 20's had won 2 comps. He inherited a good side & good staff. Somehow he f**ked it up really badly. Really really badly. I always had reservations about his appointment, mainly due to the way he speaks. I realise that is stupid, but he instills no confidence when he speaks, he actually sounds thick! Harsh maybe, but just my honest thoughts.

All the stories/rumours about lack of fitness, no defensive training drills, video reviews where mistakes weren't accountable, players turning up to games after being out the night before were mind blowing. Their is no doubt that the attitudes of the players wasn't good enough in 2012. Bluey wasn't smart enough to be able to change it. He lost the team pretty early & there was never ever a way back for him.

I wasn't sure about the appointment of ME. He tended to be a bit 'out there' with his time at Penrith, & he also left that club in one hell of a mess salary cap wise.
However, he has had to start at the very bottom. He's put people in positions (something Bluey refused to do in 2012) and he has set about taking the club in the right direction. There is going to be some more pain too i'd say. I think we may loose players that we don't want to, but we'll see what happens..

Ozbash, if you don't think that Bluey was responible for the f**kup that was 2012, can you give us same names of the people who you think are??

As for the Wane thing, he will be an assistant. ME isn't going anywhere this season regardless of the results!

Aragorn

First Grade
My 2 cents -

When Bluey was signed in 2011, he had it all set up for him. The FG side had played in the Grand Final, the Under 20's had won 2 comps. He inherited a good side & good staff. Somehow he f**ked it up really badly. Really really badly. I always had reservations about his appointment, mainly due to the way he speaks. I realise that is stupid, but he instills no confidence when he speaks, he actually sounds thick! Harsh maybe, but just my honest thoughts.

All the stories/rumours about lack of fitness, no defensive training drills, video reviews where mistakes weren't accountable, players turning up to games after being out the night before were mind blowing. Their is no doubt that the attitudes of the players wasn't good enough in 2012. Bluey wasn't smart enough to be able to change it. He lost the team pretty early & there was never ever a way back for him.

I wasn't sure about the appointment of ME. He tended to be a bit 'out there' with his time at Penrith, & he also left that club in one hell of a mess salary cap wise.
However, he has had to start at the very bottom. He's put people in positions (something Bluey refused to do in 2012) and he has set about taking the club in the right direction. There is going to be some more pain too i'd say. I think we may loose players that we don't want to, but we'll see what happens..

Ozbash, if you don't think that Bluey was responible for the f**kup that was 2012, can you give us same names of the people who you think are??

As for the Wane thing, he will be an assistant. ME isn't going anywhere this season regardless of the results!

This.

:clap:

Micistm

Bench
There were rumours although no proof that I know of, that players last year were so lacking in faith with Bluey's coaching, that a few of them were getting additional coaching from elsewhere. If true, that is definately not good.

Listening to ME on Radio Sport now, I do like the way he communicates.

ozbash

Referee
bollox, this has nothing to do with Bluey, but since you mention it we were running at a massive %50 this time last year with 8 points and with the for/against we were in the 8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NRL_season#Ladder_progression

This year is the worst the club has ever been 1/3 way through the season. But for the for/against we are sitting dead f**king last with not a lot of improvement on the horizon.
Blame last years coach for that !

ME is a f**king joke, his coaching career has the big FAIL beside it and I cant see this season being any different.

A lot of you got all gushy over him when he was the 'big name' selection.

You just refuse to listen...