What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Out of the 3 that have been aired I think I actually enjoyed Jessica Jones the most. Probably because it had the best bad guy.

Iron Fist will be out next year too.

LatK7

First Grade
Daredevil was excellent. Can't wait for the Punisher.

Jessica Jones I suspect has done a great job in bringing in new fans. My partner won't watch anything Marvel/DC but loved the show.

bileduct

Coach
My only criticism of Daredevil was that the season 2 story was kinda muddled by Elektra. She just didn't seem to fit in with everything else that was going on and ended up being an unnecessary diversion.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Just finished it.6/10.

I found all the enemies to be incredibly stupid and erratic.

Motivations were stupid and it also got a bit preachy at the end.

Pacing was weird and the finale, while it closed a few things off, was bland.

Yeah agree with a lot of that..

I don’t think enough thought was put behind the Diamond Back character. Early in the season when he was just in the background, I got the impression he was smart and in control but then when he appears on screen he comes off a completely the opposite. Agree about his motivation too, the whole “Daddy didn’t love me enough” story was a bit thin. I thought Cotton Mouth was a better villain and they should have given him the whole series.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yeah agree with a lot of that..

I don’t think enough thought was put behind the Diamond Back character. Early in the season when he was just in the background, I got the impression he was smart and in control but then when he appears on screen he comes off a completely the opposite. Agree about his motivation too, the whole “Daddy didn’t love me enough” story was a bit thin. I thought Cotton Mouth was a better villain and they should have given him the whole series.
Yeah agree with most of that too Walt

All the framing of Cage was a joke too. When Striker punched that cop then walked away going "I'm Luke Cage" actually made me laugh out loud it was so weak

bileduct

Coach
The story around Luke Cage seems to be how some people are complaining that the cast is too black. It's a black superhero based in Harlem ffs, did they expect the Brady Bunch?
Well you sure got sucked in.

Online journalists are so f**king lazy these days that all they seem to do is trawl through twitter looking for quotes that fit into a pre-conceived narrative and bam! Instant story.

If you actually read the articles you'll notice that they are all based on a small handful of tweets by the same people and completely miss the context in which they are being used. Some of them are straight up twitter trolls and others are mocking the current trend of "progressives" who spend all their time on twitter and tumblr complaining about any gathering of white people.

Lazy journalists created these people.

Frederick

Staff member
Finished watching Luke Cage today and pretty much agree with everything written here. Diamondback was definitely a weaker character than cottonmouth. The final "battle" between Luke and Stryker was pretty stupid...surely Luke would have realized that all the power for Strykers suit came from the thing on the back, so why didn't he just destroy that at the start?

Black Mariah was probably the best villain of the series, and Alfre Woodard was awesome in the role. Simone Missick was great as Misty Knight too. But overall the series didn't drag me in as much as Jessica Jones and both Daredevils did.

Considering the number of antagonists still alive so far (Kingpin, Stryker, Black Mariah, Shades, Elektra, The Hand, Madam Gao), it'll be interesting to see who gets involved in the Defenders cross over, and how they relate to Sigourney Weavers unknown character

BennyV

Referee
Just finished Jessica Jones, gotta start on Luke Cage. Thoroughly loved Daredevil, the fight scenes were very different to any other show or movie in how raw they were. The badass levels were pretty high. Elektra wasnt that bad as an inclusion, but the highlight of having her there was mainly to see how superior Murdock is as a fighter. Not a fan of Fisk a bad guy, seems over acted, although his unhinged-brawler side fits in well.

Jessica Jones was solid. Kilgrave is the best antagonist so far, and the final scene turned up the badass levels so high! At other times it seemed to drag a bit. Will be very interested when the Defenders starts because her and Murdock have very, very different 'hero' styles. Would think another JJ season would be necessary for her to really settle in to helping people...

hrundi99

First Grade
Simone-Missick-1.jpg

Yowser...

Frederick

Staff member
Initial press reactions to Dr Strange have been released. All praise the visual effects, action sequences and original score, saying they're amongst the best, if not the best, in the MCU to date. Cumberbatch getting high praise too.

Criticisms around humour and formulaic plot. Some say it's one of the MCUs best films, others say it's fun but not top 5. Movie seems to be a true standalone origin story, similar to the phase 1 films. There are two scenes during the credits too.

Full review embargo drops on Sunday/Monday

http://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-strange-reviews/

Game_Breaker

Coach
Initial press reactions to Dr Strange have been released. All praise the visual effects, action sequences and original score, saying they're amongst the best, if not the best, in the MCU to date. Cumberbatch getting high praise too.

Criticisms around humour and formulaic plot. Some say it's one of the MCUs best films, others say it's fun but not top 5. Movie seems to be a true standalone origin story, similar to the phase 1 films. There are two scenes during the credits too.

Full review embargo drops on Sunday/Monday

http://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-strange-reviews/

hmm, if they have to list the original score as a positive then maybe it's not a good sign

The plot and humour are usually Marvels strengths

Latest posts