What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

bileduct

Coach
The hype and build up around SS was massive.

Guardians built up as the word got out
Nonsense. Guardians had a huge advertising budget and there were trailers and promotional material for it everywhere. I think people were initially sceptical about the film because the characters were unknown to just about everyone. I certainly wasn't interested and only ended up going because I got sent free tickets from the NQ Cowboys club after I bought their Marvel themed jersey online. It turned out to be one of the best superhero movies released so far.

Frederick

Staff member
hmm, if they have to list the original score as a positive then maybe it's not a good sign

The plot and humour are usually Marvels strengths
Not necessarily. The movie is scored by Michael Giacchino, who has won numerous awards for his original scores. His body of work includes numerous Pixar films, Jurassic World, the new Star Treks, Rogue One and plenty more. He's currently the go-to guy for blockbuster movie music these days.

Reviews are starting to filter through. Overwhelmingly positive - 98% on RT from 41 reviews and 74 on metacritic from 15. They all say the plot is pretty formulaic, Mikkelsen is the latest in a long line of forgettable marvel villains (but he's one of the better ones) and that Rachel mcadams is pretty well non-existant in the film, but that Cumberbatch is perfect as Strange, the visuals and sound are fantastic and that the humour works well.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Not necessarily. The movie is scored by Michael Giacchino, who has won numerous awards for his original scores. His body of work includes numerous Pixar films, Jurassic World, the new Star Treks, Rogue One and plenty more. He's currently the go-to guy for blockbuster movie music these days.

Reviews are starting to filter through. Overwhelmingly positive - 98% on RT from 41 reviews and 74 on metacritic from 15. They all say the plot is pretty formulaic, Mikkelsen is the latest in a long line of forgettable marvel villains (but he's one of the better ones) and that Rachel mcadams is pretty well non-existant in the film, but that Cumberbatch is perfect as Strange, the visuals and sound are fantastic and that the humour works well.

BvS had Hans freakin Zimmer and good visuals but that didn't save it because the plot was all over the place. If the plot is shit, then no amount of acting, visuals, fight scenes or who the composer is can save the film.

I'll wait to see Doctor Strange before I judge it, but I don't have high hopes if critics are saying the plot is just ok and the villain is nothing special.

gUt

Coach
DC has always sucked, apart from Watchmen all their movies and characters suck, yes including Batman. OK Batman is sort of cool sometimes and the Joker is a great villain but srsly f**k DC, they are shiiiiiiiiiit.

Eelementary

Post Whore
DC has always sucked, apart from Watchmen all their movies and characters suck, yes including Batman. OK Batman is sort of cool sometimes and the Joker is a great villain but srsly f**k DC, they are shiiiiiiiiiit.

Aquaman > all

Your theory has holes all through it!

But yes, I do agree - DC is way behind at the moment.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
DC is certainly behind at the moment, expected when they have 2 movies in their universe compared to what, 10? 13? that the MCU has

Saying that the characters are "inferior" though is purely subjective and has pretty much zero relevance when talking movies. Good effort at trolling though. solid 5/10

PJ

First Grade
Saw Dr Strange and though it average at best. Preferred Ant Man but better than the Thor movies.

Benedict was good, but he always is. Story pretty predictable with many of the special effects bits going on and on so it gave the impression that it was more to show off than expand the story.

Aragorn

First Grade
Seconded.

Marvel is so far ahead of DC in terms of bringing a depth of world and back story to the big screen. If DC manages to do an equally successful job, well done!

Geeze i must be getting old. I thought it was a yawn fest.

Rachel Adams needs to get that mole on her left cheek sorted. I kept staring at it whenever she had a close up.

azzah72

Bench
I'd call Dr Strange completely middle of the road.

I was looking at my phone a few times, very boring in parts.

Last Week

Bench
I enjoyed it. As everyone else said, it was visually fantastic.

I enjoyed his origin story alot. The transformation into a wizard was deep and telling, but that was about it. The final stanza was just meh. 7/10.

Also, I feel that this role was beneath Benedict. He is too good of an actor for a movie like this.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Finally got through Luke Cage, it was good but didn't reach any great heights.

Easily the weakest of the Netflix marvel shows.

hrundi99

First Grade
I thought Dr Strange was great. A great example of the diversity and range of material in the Marvel Universe.

Good mix of action, visuals and humour.

The part where he was introduced to the other dimensions was awesome in 3D.