What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Frederick

Staff member
The Wolverine films have been a pretty big disappointment so far. I hope this new one breaks the trend.
Seems like since Deadpool was so well received the penny has finally dropped at Fox and they've realized they can make profitable R rated comic book movies that hold very little back. Hugh Jackman plays wolverine well, but his first two solo movies were absolute junk. Hopefully this newfound freedom at the studio will give the world the wolverine movie it deserves

bileduct

Coach
Seems like since Deadpool was so well received the penny has finally dropped at Fox and they've realized they can make profitable R rated comic book movies that hold very little back. Hugh Jackman plays wolverine well, but his first two solo movies were absolute junk. Hopefully this newfound freedom at the studio will give the world the wolverine movie it deserves
Yeah it does look like they've learned a few lessons from Deadpool (which is kinda ironic considering the awful treatment he got in the first Wolverine film). I was surprised by the very graphic violence in the trailer.

I'm guessing the young girl is X-23. If that's the case, I called it ages ago that Hugh Jackman's Wolverine would be replaced by a female Wolverine.

It would appear that the after credits scene from X-Men Apocalypse was a nod towards what's happening in this new Wolverine film and not the next X-Men one.

shiznit

Coach
Finished watching Luke Cage today and pretty much agree with everything written here. Diamondback was definitely a weaker character than cottonmouth. The final "battle" between Luke and Stryker was pretty stupid...surely Luke would have realized that all the power for Strykers suit came from the thing on the back, so why didn't he just destroy that at the start?

Black Mariah was probably the best villain of the series, and Alfre Woodard was awesome in the role. Simone Missick was great as Misty Knight too. But overall the series didn't drag me in as much as Jessica Jones and both Daredevils did.

Considering the number of antagonists still alive so far (Kingpin, Stryker, Black Mariah, Shades, Elektra, The Hand, Madam Gao), it'll be interesting to see who gets involved in the Defenders cross over, and how they relate to Sigourney Weavers unknown character
I just finished Luke Cage and agree with your sentiments...

Especially in regards to diamondback... I thought they dropped the ball bigtime with him... inconsistent writing of his character undermined the whole story IMO...

he goes from a cool and calculated shadowy figure controlling everything from fringes in the early episodes... to a bible wielding psycho who's master plan was to get in a fist fight with Luke Cage wearing something that looked like a Voltron suit...

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Yeah it does look like they've learned a few lessons from Deadpool (which is kinda ironic considering the awful treatment he got in the first Wolverine film). I was surprised by the very graphic violence in the trailer.

I'm guessing the young girl is X-23. If that's the case, I called it ages ago that Hugh Jackman's Wolverine would be replaced by a female Wolverine.

It would appear that the after credits scene from X-Men Apocalypse was a nod towards what's happening in this new Wolverine film and not the next X-Men one.
Yeah the girl is definitely X23, and according to the writer/director of the movie (can't remember who), Mr Sinister will make his first on-screen appearance in this film

bileduct

Coach
Yeah the girl is definitely X23, and according to the writer/director of the movie (can't remember who), Mr Sinister will make his first on-screen appearance in this film
Well that sounds promising. Mister Sinister would make an excellent villain and with Cable supposedly being introduced soon it sounds like they are going to be doing more with him than the one shot Apocalypse got.

With another Deadpool and X-Men film coming out, as well as a New Mutants and X-Force film (which is weird, considering X-Force was a direct continuation of New Mutants not long after Cable was introduced) it seems like there's a pretty good future for Fox's mutant franchise.

With all this cloning and time travel business going on (assuming Cable is sent back from the future) it also opens the door to introducing Jean Grey's clone, Madelyne Pryor, and doing the Inferno storyline which was f**king awesome in the comics.

latest

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Well that sounds promising. Mister Sinister would make an excellent villain and with Cable supposedly being introduced soon it sounds like they are going to be doing more with him than the one shot Apocalypse got.

With another Deadpool and X-Men film coming out, as well as a New Mutants and X-Force film (which is weird, considering X-Force was a direct continuation of New Mutants not long after Cable was introduced) it seems like there's a pretty good future for Fox's mutant franchise.

With all this cloning and time travel business going on (assuming Cable is sent back from the future) it also opens the door to introducing Jean Grey's clone, Madelyne Pryor, and doing the Inferno storyline which was f**king awesome in the comics.

latest
I think they might be going with the more modern incarnation of Xforce, the one that was a covert strike team arm of the XMen rather than the Cable lead team of New Mutants

bileduct

Coach
I think they might be going with the more modern incarnation of Xforce, the one that was a covert strike team arm of the XMen rather than the Cable lead team of New Mutants
Yeah not sure about that. I read who the characters are in the New Mutants movie and it sounds like it's most of the original New Mutants team.

X-Force would surely include Cable, Domino, Shatterstar, Deadpool and all the other characters created by Rob Liefeld who is a f**king terrible artist.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yeah not sure about that. I read who the characters are in the New Mutants movie and it sounds like it's most of the original New Mutants team.

X-Force would surely include Cable, Domino, Shatterstar, Deadpool and all the other characters created by Rob Liefeld who is a f**king terrible artist.
That's my point mate, the New Mutants movie will be separate from the XForce movie so it's unlikely they are going to use the same characters. Also the time the movies are set in will be decades apart with New Mutants being in the 90s and XForce after Deadpool in current time

Either of the newer versions of X FORCE are likely to be used imo. The XMEN strike force (which Deadpool was a part of) or Cables renegade crew (with Domino, Forge, Colossus , etc)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Eh? I'm looking forward to that one too...

But it's not coming out until 2018!

I mentioned Aquaman a few pages back, and it got glossed over!

The King Of Atlantis is an awesome character!

Bow down before Aquaman!

Seriously, though - Aquaman is my favourite hero, and Jason Momoa is perfect to play him.

I am so excited to see him on the big screen, that I can't even!

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I'm loving the idea of seeing Aquaman too

One of my favourite comic series is Peter David's run on Aquaman in the early 90s. I wish the current version had a beard. He always suited having a beard

bileduct

Coach
That's my point mate, the New Mutants movie will be separate from the XForce movie so it's unlikely they are going to use the same characters. Also the time the movies are set in will be decades apart with New Mutants being in the 90s and XForce after Deadpool in current time

Either of the newer versions of X FORCE are likely to be used imo. The XMEN strike force (which Deadpool was a part of) or Cables renegade crew (with Domino, Forge, Colossus , etc)
Yeah sorry mate, I did misread your comment.

With all these different timelines it's going to get very convoluted. If they follow the comic books then Cable will be the son of Cyclops and Madelyne Pryor. Cable will get whisked away to the future and then sent back, followed by his own clone Stryfe.

With Mister Sinister and X-23 it'll be f**king clones everywhere.

Latest posts